Builds 2001 HZJ79 Ex-Fire Double Cab Build (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey folks! been a bit busy with life but alas I have found time for the 79. Recently purchased some parts from cruiserparts.net and picked them up in Oroville, WA. This part of the build has been one of those nagging things on the list. Since bringing my 79 home I have wanted to get rid of the rear bench seat that the fire service company, Morika modified. Its impractical and needs to go. No more smacking your head off the grab handle with every little bump in the road.

The seat has been purchased and now in my garage. A new take off and as a bonus matching rear bench seat from a HZJ76 with an unknown year. the Matching soothes my inner OCD :p. Anyways to the point... I was hope some of you fine folk with an HZJ76 could upload a pic of your floor and how their rear bench seat attaches. From what I can tell with my seat it bolts x4 to the front and then has the latch release on the back with the ability to be folded forward. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

The old floor will be cut out and new floor fabricated to accommodate the new seat with the appropriate hardware.

Thanks again!

IMG-0388.jpg

67626184367--DDE9AF44-1907-486A-9395-5F80845BABAB.jpg

Nice find Garret! And don't worry about the OCD - when it comes to Land Cruisers, it perfectly normal to want things OEM and matching! 😜

My cruiser was in the garage so the pics I sent you may not have the best lighting. If you want to come by or have me come by your place the next time I am in town, let me know then you can view it in person, take measurements if you need to, etc.

Due to the fact this is going into a 79, you don't necessarily need to have the seat fold up (though that would be nice for cleaning and finding stuff!!) so you could just build your own mounting brackets.

Glad to see you are making progress! :cheers:

Although I have no idea what you’ll be dealing with in the back of your ex-fire truck, maintaining the “fold up” function of that seat would prove to be very versatile in my opinion.

Nice JDMBC
Full backseats will be a nice upgrade.
P.s
I spent some time talking with the owner of SET at overland expo west. Cool guy and let me poke around the trey bed / canopy he had displayed their. They are top notch build quality ! IMO they build the best aluminum beds out there now. Lots of little details improved. Really keen to see how yours turns out on this 79!

Last edited:
Nice find Garret! And don't worry about the OCD - when it comes to Land Cruisers, it perfectly normal to want things OEM and matching! 😜

My cruiser was in the garage so the pics I sent you may not have the best lighting. If you want to come by or have me come by your place the next time I am in town, let me know then you can view it in person, take measurements if you need to, etc.

Due to the fact this is going into a 79, you don't necessarily need to have the seat fold up (though that would be nice for cleaning and finding stuff!!) so you could just build your own mounting brackets.

Glad to see you are making progress! :cheers:
Really appreciate it Darren. Your a true gentleman!

Truck is currently with my fabricator and the new floor pan is being installed. I did order brackets from megazip but of course some things were not in stock so I wait.

I agree that the fold up function is not necessary however I think it will prove a useful feature as there should be enough room for things such as compressor, amps, subs, tools etc.

Progress seems super slow but things are happening!

Although I have no idea what you’ll be dealing with in the back of your ex-fire truck, maintaining the “fold up” function of that seat would prove to be very versatile in my opinion.
Couldn't agree more! I have seen some pics of double cab 79's and aussie folks have managed to fit a lot behind that seat!

Nice JDMBC
Full backseats will be a nice upgrade.
P.s
I spent some time talking with the owner of SET at overland expo west. Cool guy and let me poke around the trey bed / canopy he had displayed their. They are top notch build quality ! IMO they build the best aluminum beds out there now. Lots of little details improved. Really keen to see how yours turns out on this 79!
Thanks! I cannot wait to see the build come to fruition.

Ya I have been in frequent communication with Ralf whom you likely spoke with at Expo. Hoping to get the truck down there for next years event as a show piece for his trays and canopies. I am glad to hear of the quality and your impression. The tray was to go on this week and be on display at BCOR but there was a set back on Ralf's end and unfortunately the tray will not be ready. His attention to detail is fantastic and I know it will be worth the wait!

Making some serious progress on the rear floor conversion back. Reinforcements and cross bracing to be welded in next then the floor pan.

My biggest dilemma at the moment is actually sound dampening. The way I see it is either the butyl type that is applied and then rolled/pressed from dynamat, noico etc or I opt for a spray in such as DEI boom mat with their ceramic coat applied over top of the sprayed dampening. Still undecided. I have used the butyl type with fairly good results but I really only want to do this once and do it right.

The areas of focus are on thermal properties and reducing as much heat as possible to keep that cabin cool and then the obvious of sound dampening and acoustics.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated!

IMG-0499.jpg

You may have already answered the question but do you plan to source a rear window or a 79 Series flat roof?
Ya the rear window has already been sourced and cut out of a donor 79 series thanks to @Kroll!

79 series standard roof will also be ordered in the future and the high roof removed. The guy who is doing my floor conversion will also be doing the roof conversion. I’ll be helping with that project as it is a pretty big process.

No shortage of projects on this truck! The seat conversion was top of the list.

Ya the rear window has already been sourced and cut out of a donor 79 series thanks to @Kroll!

79 series standard roof will also be ordered in the future and the high roof removed. The guy who is doing my floor conversion will also be doing the roof conversion. I’ll be helping with that project as it is a pretty big process.

No shortage of projects on this truck! The seat conversion was top of the list.
The end result should be very nice.

Very nice!
This is going to be a sweet truck!
A fair push for these going to 79 bonnet and fenders as well as the standard roof but I really like the uniqueness of the hi top. So I’m keeping mine that way.
Nice progress on the floor JDMBC 🤘

Very nice!
This is going to be a sweet truck!
A fair push for these going to 79 bonnet and fenders as well as the standard roof but I really like the uniqueness of the hi top. So I’m keeping mine that way.
Nice progress on the floor JDMBC 🤘
Cheers!! It’s been a fun project so far! My goal is to keep the build simple. I feel it is real easy to get carried away with everything but this is my daily driver so I want to keep it functional as a daily and not overweight.

I like the old school look of the narrow nose so I’ll be keeping it that way but the roof isn’t as functional being so tall. Ideally I’d like to get a rack on top and with the high roof it just gets too tall so it’s gunna go. It definitely is unique being a hightop.

Seats are now in and the rear bench seat is finished for now. Pretty impressed with how it turned out. Now just have to wait on cruiserparts to send the head rests they forgot to include in the original order :bang:.

At this point in time I think I will use the Lizardskin products for sound dampening. There is a sound dampening product they offer that sprays on then a ceramic coat that is sprayed over top for thermal regulation. The plus side is then your not dealing with sticking down all the butyl sheets and such and the LiZardskin can be painted over when the truck gets painted down the line.

37BF0DA2-4B00-4D8F-9BED-8C58D6CB6261.jpeg

C22A03A3-0973-47E8-A20A-95E60F1BF141.jpeg

AFADFB7A-0BE5-405B-AEEE-E3B3B4D01F22.jpeg

Last edited:
Not really all that exciting but started prepping the rear end for the Summit Expedition Truck tray install in a couple weeks time. Luckily my ARB bumper has arrived and will be installed at the same time. Looking to pick up an under cab sub tank as well which will connect to the main tank for an approx totally of 150L. The headrests arrived from the cruiserparts fiascos which I am not sure I even want to dive into on the forum. BUT the headrests do finish it off nicely imo!

5711F634-21E5-454E-B96A-D8F924C4B35F.jpeg

542DD321-5708-4CD1-853D-D88D84D49EDE.jpeg

What are your thoughts on an under cab sub tank? custom
Iv thought about that with just a simple sub to rear transfer pump to keep it simple but at the same time not going to be doing extended range trips
so it's down on the list for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom