200 Series Engine Seized at 58,000 miles ?? What to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luckily the market is hot right now so no matter what you do you’re better off now than ever.

I’d vote to either sell on classifieds here if you can get a good offer or swap a used 5.7 in it as mentioned by others. It really depends on if you own it or need the vehicle operating now due to work/family/whatever. If it were me I’d probably take 10k and get her up and running again and keep it.

@JS Van Slyke - given that you are in CO it is worth a call to Slee Off Road to see if a swap is something that they would do, or if not if they might have a recommended shop.

You might get some money from someone looking for a very specific project but if you're going to sell the truck anyway I would put a good used in it and sell. Just know that a truck with a good used engine is going to get less than an equivalent with an original engine. I still think you'll come out ahead this way though. Or maybe drive it awhile to recoup some of the cost and then sell it when it has more mileage and would naturally be worth less (i.e. just thinking that the value hit of having a used engine might not be as significant at >100K miles).

from what they told me.... the cylinder spring on #5 broke off and got into the combustion chamber, which caused the damage.

Those darned cylinder springs... you'd think they would have done away with them by now.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Very sorry to hear about your misfortune. Best of luck.

Park in the hood with the keys in it. Somebody will strip it in minutes and you can shop for a new LC. They’ll get excited thinking they are stripping a Highlander. 🤣😜

I'd drop a wrecker 5.7 in and forget about it. And I wouldn't pay the dealer premium either - swapping takes time but any skilled independent shop would likely serve you better, and for far less.

I'm also in the salvage engine camp. I had to replace my GS400 engine and my LX470 engine with salvage engines. Probably about ~$10k. If you like your LC, do this and you'll be fine. If you don't like your LC, do this and sell it in ~6 months. Keep the salvage engine paperwork (donation vehicle VIN, etc). I had no problem privately selling my vehicles for premium with all the paperwork I had demonstrating the engine history.

IMO, find an independent mechanic to do this.

Sorry, it sucks. But all this is what money is for.

Last edited:
I’d fix it and keep it personally, but it doesn’t hurt to keep pushing this with corporate. Good luck!

I'd keep her. It's a low mile truck. Like others have said, get a good used motor and swap it out. Find an indy shop and let them at it. Consider shipping it to a Land Cruiser specialty shop. For example, Overland Cruisers in Bozeman has our 200 right now. We're only three hours away from Bozeman, but I don't have many options in Idaho Falls. Anyway, good luck man.

I'd drop a wrecker 5.7 in and forget about it. And I wouldn't pay the dealer premium either - swapping takes time but any skilled independent shop would likely serve you better, and for far less.

Agree. Find a totaled LC somewhere in some yard in the states. Have them pull the motor and ship it. There are companies that will do all leg work for you. A shop that replaces motors might even do it for you or has a list of contacts for you. And give you a very close estimate of the costs. You might even get lucky and find one with lower miles.

Sorry man. All of your options are a Royal PITA.

It would be interesting to know more about the history and use of the vehicle: prior maintenance, current condition, detailed findings from the diagnosis and thoughts on what caused failure, and Toyota's reason(s) for zero good will on a premium product with lowish mileage.

I have a couple questions for the more experienced crowd in this thread. . .

What would the odds be of Toyota covering this if he was the original owner but did his own maintenance? How would modifications factor into this as well?

I ask this as a soon to be owner of a new 2021 and who plans on doing his own routine maintenance and having modifications.

Luckily the market is hot right now so no matter what you do you’re better off now than ever.

I’d vote to either sell on classifieds here if you can get a good offer or swap a used 5.7 in it as mentioned by others. It really depends on if you own it or need the vehicle operating now due to work/family/whatever. If it were me I’d probably take 10k and get her up and running again and keep it.
Thanks for the input. I'd love to fix her and keep her if it was $10k- agree!
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding ANY used engines (or they have high mileage ). If anyone has recommendations on reputable places to get one, I'd love the info :)

I'm not so sure that a hot market works in @JS Van Slyke favor. It means that equivalent mileage used LC's will be selling for a premium, dealers will be less willing to deal on new LC's, and so on. I guess it maximizes the residual value if the LC is sold without the engine repaired, but that really only helps if @JS Van Slyke buys something completely different in the end.

I have a couple questions for the more experienced crowd in this thread. . .

What would the odds be of Toyota covering this if he was the original owner but did his own maintenance? How would modifications factor into this as well?

I ask this as a soon to be owner of a new 2021 and who plans on doing his own routine maintenance and having modifications.
From my recent experience dealing with Toyota Corporate- I would recommend getting their powertrain warranty (and reading in detail if they have any disclosures to your maintenance and modifications questions). I know most of us believe these should run forever ... but this is unfortunate proof that freak stuff still happens.

I believe there are laws against requiring maintenance by the manufacturer to support a warranty claim. You have to be able to prove all required maintenance however, and it is likely to be more of a hassle. For me I use the dealer during warranty period and check the work when practical (drain plug, fill level, etc.). However I like to change my oil more frequently than 10K. I do the in between myself and keep the receipts (not that they are technically needed).

It would be interesting to know more about the history and use of the vehicle: prior maintenance, current condition, detailed findings from the diagnosis and thoughts on what caused failure, and Toyota's reason(s) for zero good will on a premium product with lowish mileage.
I have 1st Owner records showing serviced every 5k miles at a Dealership up to 30k miles, then serviced at local mechanics. I bought with 49k miles.
Excellent condition- super clean- people think it's new.
Spring valve on cylinder 5 broke in half, got wedged inside the cylinder, seized engine. They've never seen it happen before and have no idea why it happened.

Corporate has offered now to pay $1,000 in goodwill...... since I am within the mileage, but outside the powertrain warranty age. I guess that is something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom