200 Series Engine Seized at 58,000 miles ?? What to do? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back on the original topic, I reread the original post. A "spring" isn't "inside". At least I hope there is nothing in my cylinders but rods, pistons and rings. I sounds like you broke a valve spring (top of the head, between the head and top of valve under the cam) and dropped a valve, which the piston smacked on its way up. Maybe it isn't really seized but has a bent valve stuck half open preventing full revolution of the crank. Or the valve dropped completely and is wedged between cylinder and piston.

Or broke a ring. But its harder to see that seizing the engine.

I really want to see this torn down.

I'm not sure why the concern about rebuilding a seized engine. If the block isn't cracked (unlikely), the cylinder walls have enough meat to be bored to take out any gouges from the broken stuff knocking around in the cylinders, the caps can be align honed, and the heads are OK have at it. Worst case source a used short block, crank, rods or heads depending on what can't be rebuilt. And if you have ever considered a supercharger, lower compression a bit and consider upgraded rod bolts and forged pistons.

The real trick is finding the right engine builder.
I guess I am just trusting the dealership service team on this... they said the engine is seized due to the cylinder 5 valve spring breaking off and getting into the combustion chamber.

The real trick is finding the right engine builder.

That’s the main reason I assumed people were saying avoid rebuilds. A factory engine, even used, probably has lower odds of problems than most rebuilds. Given Toyota’s quality standards anyway.

I agree with your explanation though. Something about the terminology isn’t lining up here.. valve spring may not “seize” an engine but one with a failed spring is just about as useful.

@JS Van Slyke there is about 3” of aluminum between the valve springs and the combustion chamber. It is possible a failed spring let a valve drop down, that then hit the piston and got broken off or bent. Or possibly drop a valve “seat” into the CC with similar results.. either way the spring itself or even parts of it getting into the chamber wouldn’t make any sense.

I guess I am just trusting the dealership service team on this... they said the engine is seized due to the cylinder 5 valve spring breaking off and getting into the combustion chamber.

Hope you get the engine issue resolved soon.

Out of curiosity, IF the OP decides the sell the 200 without spending money on the engine, would he/she sell it privately or trade it into the dealership? Which way would give the OP the most value?

Yeah, so pieces of the valve spring could have dropped in with the valve if the spring really gernaded. But the valve probably did the most damage as it would need to drop in first. And yeah a dropped valve will chew up everything and can even jam between the piston and wall.

Don't shoot the messenger here but unfortunately as the second owner I think you're going to have an uphill battle. My experience with my wife's emissions failure was as a two time original Lexus owner (RX450h, GX460). I've seen this before with other expensive used cars that have had catastrophic engine or transmission failures. I sincerely hope it goes a different way here but...

The reality is that you aren't actually a customer of Toyota. You bought a vehicle from someone that is a customer of Toyota. You are effectively a customer of that customer. So regardless of whether it should or should not fail they aren't making a "customer" of theirs happy here because you aren't bringing back something that you paid them for. You've paid them nothing.

I know that sucks and I hope they help you out from a stand behind the product perspective.

Update- Corporate is not stepping up to help out with the engine on Pearl (yes, she is pearl color). 😭

If I try and sell my 200 without spending money on the engine, what do you think the value of an otherwise clean 2014 with 58k miles might be?
(I'm seeing similar 200s with running engines asking $45-48,000)

Anyone in the market to make an offer ? Feel free to direct message or email me jillalexander@comcast.net

Update- Corporate is not stepping up to help out with the engine on Pearl (yes, she is pearl color). 😭

If I try and sell my 200 without spending money on the engine, what do you think the value of an otherwise clean 2014 with 58k miles might be?

Anyone in the market to make an offer ? Feel free to direct message or email me jillalexander@comcast.net
Sorry to hear that man.

What about your auto insurance. Doesn't comprehensive cover stuff like this?

I suspect you can sell it fairly quickly even with a non running engine. You’ve had interest already from others in this thread and keep in mind Mud has a classified section where you could post it. Heck, you might even see what the dealer would offer.

If planning to buy another LC from a dealer, keep the tax advantage of trading in vs selling privately in mind if it applies in your state. It could be to your advantage to take a bit less from a dealer and make up for it on the tax savings. Not sure that a dealer would buy one with a dead engine though.

This is a major bummer.

Another potential approach is to take your story to social media. Some companies are very responsive to bad press on their products. A failure at this mileage is not aligned with the land cruiser mythology of long term durability. I’m not saying I’d do this - but it is an option.

Yeah, I'd agree. Some Land Cruiser slander on FB, IG, and Youtube. I'd love to see the Jeeple and Land Rover owner comments come in, before you sell the LC.
Another potential approach is to take your story to social media. Some companies are very responsive to bad press on their products. A failure at this mileage is not aligned with the land cruiser mythology of long term durability. I’m not saying I’d do this - but it is an option.

Very, very sorry to hear this.

File a comprehensive claim on your auto insurance to fix it with a new engine. Then keep it forever
At least in Michigan, auto insurance comprehensive does not cover mechanical/electrical failure unless caused by fire, water, storm, etc. It is not in any way an extended warranty. Is it in Florida?

Sorry to hear about your Cruiser.

Maybe something like this or Jasper Engines will workout for you with a good independent shop.

Very disappointed to hear the way Toyoda is treating you.

2017 Toyota Tundra Engine (change)​

Engine

Description:Gas Engine
Condition:Used
Fits:2017 Toyota Tundra
5.7L, VIN Y ( 5th digit, 3URFE engine ) ChangeChange Fitment4.6L ( VIN M, 5th digit, 1URFE engine )5.7L VIN W ( 5th digit, flex fuel, 3URFBE engine )5.7L VIN Y ( 5th digit, 3URFE engine )
Mileage:134K
Warranty:

1-Year Premium Warranty

Yard:New Braunfels, TX 78130
Delivery:Get it by Wednesday, 04/14/2021
1year.png

DetailsWarrantyShippingPolicy
This is a premium used 2017 Toyota Tundra engine assembly that includes various components such as Engine Block, Camshaft, Crankshaft, Cylinder Heads, Valve Cover, Head Gasket, Oil Pan and all internal lubricated parts, Unit may or may NOT come with additional accessories such as Power Steering Pump, Alternator, Starter, A/C Compressor, Etc. This unit is guaranteed to fit your 2017 Toyota Tundra vehicle with the applicable manufacturer's specifications 5.7L VIN Y ( 5th digit, 3URFE engine ). The 2017 Toyota Tundra Engine Assembly has been inspected and is ready to be shipped.
Stock:

EC275855771MP
Original Price:
$4,969.00
Freight Discount :
Enter ZIP

You Pay:
$4,969.00

Add To Cart

Have a question?
Call 1-866-205-2209

At least in Michigan, auto insurance comprehensive does not cover mechanical/electrical failure unless caused by fire, water, storm, etc. It is not in any way an extended warranty. Is it in Florida?
Yeah, I don't believe Massachusetts auto insurance would cover this sort of failure either and isn't something I've ever heard even suggested anywhere before. It's certainly worth looking into, I guess, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about it working out.

Too bad on the engine and Toyota not helping out with it, hopefully there can still be a happy outcome somehow.

Honestly I would guess that the trade-in or resale value with a blown engine would be less what you'll get with a running vehicle even after paying to have a shop replace the engine. If the truck would sell for $47k unless they are making money on the sale of a new vehicle there's no reason a dealer who says the repair is $17k would give you more than $30k for trade in. Economically speaking whether they do the repair for you or buy the vehicle and repair it and sell it the final $ will be the same. Quite likely any offer will be less since (a) it's difficult to confirm something else is not wrong as it's not running and (b) they need to sit on the $ outlay for the trade-in until it's repaired. You might get a bit more from a private party who either (a) is looking for this sort of option so they can built a custom engine or (b) values their labor at less than the cost of the dealer.

As to which path you should take (repair and keep, repair and sell, sell and move on) that depends on your tolerance for taking a loss on the vehicle, unfortunately. I think you'll get the least for trade-in or private sale but you'll get $ up front and not have to deal with the hassle of the repair. You'll get (ultimately save) the most by paying to repair it and keeping the truck for years, though I can understand why you might not want to do that now.

You might also want to call around and find a reputable shop that can do a crate or used engine swap for you. I'm sure the Toyota dealer will probably do an excellent job, but I suspect you could find a used motor like @slowride posted (maybe even with less mileage) and a shop that can swap it for you and ultimately spend maybe half of what the dealer is quoting. Once it's running again you can decide on whether you keep it or sell it. This is the route I would probably take, though admittedly I do kick myself sometimes for hanging on to a losing bet for too long. Either way this route means you still have to come up with $8-10k for the repair out of pocket though.

I am sorry toyota did not step up for repairs.

Ask the dealership, if the can appeal to the regional vp. I would write letters to the CEO of Toyota as well to the board of directors. If all that fails then contact @2001LC He might be able to help with engine swap. I have enjoyed reading his posts on a lot of repairs.

In terms of value, a 2014 with under 60k miles is worth what? $35k* (guessing) if it was in great shape? Just for argument sake, let’s say you can get a used engine with similar mileage for $5k* and shop labor to install it is another $5k*. Throw in another easy $5k* or more off for a buyer taking the risk on a non-running vehicle and transportation costs. I’ve just talked myself into your roller being worth $20k. :)

Then you have the issue of finding a buyer that is both interested in the vehicle, has the cash on hand, wants a project, and most likely is willing to have a roller shipped. I’ve found the crowd that circles like vultures thins out considerably when it comes time to put money on the table. I suspect a place like 'mud is your best bet, and I'm curious how many people would really buy in that situation. It's easy to type dibs, and a lot harder to actually go through with a purchase.

And it seems like everybody wants a steal of a deal. Most people I've dealt with would rather pay for a good running vehicle rather than a project, unless they have funding issues or just love projects.

*of course you can debate the validity of any of my guesstimates, but I hope you get what I'm suggesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom