2 Dead Cylinders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yikes...good to know. Good thing I was already planning to do it myself then. :cheers:

Man, some shops. It takes some specialized equipment but $1400.
I would pull the head, pop all the springs and valve seals so all the valves are loose(don't let them fall out), then take it to a head shop. Then you can set it on a table and they can tell you what they will probably want and need to do. They can't quote correctly until they break it down that far anyway. That's why they quote so high to begin with. You always want to keep track of valve spring locations. Get some calipers and measure the spring free length. My $.03

Man, some shops. It takes some specialized equipment but $1400.
I would pull the head, pop all the springs and valve seals so all the valves are loose(don't let them fall out), then take it to a head shop. Then you can set it on a table and they can tell you what they will probably want and need to do. They can't quote correctly until they break it down that far anyway. That's why they quote so high to begin with. You always want to keep track of valve spring locations. Get some calipers and measure the spring free length. My $.03

Yep, that's the plan--good advice on tracking the valve spring locations, thanks FJforty. I'll post up my own thread when I get to tearing down the head in a couple weeks here.

Sorry to hijack this one...back to your regularly scheduled programming. :popcorn:

Its ok....havent had time to do anything other than order a head gasket set......
Does the F engine repair manual cover head gasket replacement? or is there any other ref other than
the fsm I don't have?

Its ok....havent had time to do anything other than order a head gasket set......
Does the F engine repair manual cover head gasket replacement? or is there any other ref other than
the fsm I don't have?

if you cant find anything let me know I ve got some old books laying around that will give you info you need on f engines.... you could borrow them or I can look up what ever you need

Just got the results of a compression test myself last night, cyl. #4 is dead (70psi)...feel your pain, man. Shop did a leakdown test and suspects it's an exhaust valve...quoted $1200-1400 for a cylinder head rebuild, so your shop sounds like it's giving you a similar quote. Hope things work out for you...

did you do a wet test? what'd the compression do when you dropped some oil down there? I had similar issue.. with numbers around 20,.. but improved to 50 with oil. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom