Help! Water in cylinders! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a couple tips on the thermostat housing bolts.

First: The bolts can get really nasty over time and using anti-seize will help, but someone on MUD recommended using carb studs instead of bolts, which I did. They are the right threads and length. Now I just have 2 nuts and washers on top to remove when I want to change out the thermostat. It's a great option!

Second: Get an Aisin OEM thermostat. City Racer and others sell them, and be sure you use a correctly seated thick upper gasket and an OEM housing gasket. Why? Because they sell a lot of aftermarket housing gaskets from thin paper, to thick rubber. The OEM gasket is the correct thickness and material. You need a good seal on the upper gasket between the top of the thermostat and the housing or the engine won't come up to the right temp. My upper gasket got twisted a bit on an earlier install and the engine ran too cold - I also had no heat in the cab. The next time I installed it, I put a couple dabs of sealer to hold the gasket on the top of the thermostat and put the cover on carefully. All good!

And I'm very happy to hear how this potential nightmare turned out! Buy some lottery tickets...
Awesome- thanks for the comment and the tips, especially the carb studs + antisense- that’s what I’ll do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom