Builds 1st FJ40, '76 - SMOKEY - Puttin’ her Back Together (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Then got to see Doug's other new to him vehicle: his '32 Ford. What a beauty!

DCD5E8AE-4CC8-476E-9C99-B39568D020AE.jpeg
7E567F11-167D-4E72-904E-2B8A7EF6B2E8.jpeg
626C1A1F-E804-4DE4-8B33-D3EE19602DA0.jpeg
4EF28306-1BBA-4ACA-9A3F-C5D33FE56543.jpeg

Man flat head engines are cool... my father in law has a 51 Mercury with a flathead - just so different by modern standards.

Good work on the floor support - really came out looking nice. I’ve eyed up that press break numerous times at harbor freight. Luckily for my bank account, I’m out of room in the garage!

Glad to see you’re back at it full force - making some real progress!

Nice thought but it has the body mount brackets on top of the supports and they won't fit the other way unless I remake the whole thing. I can seal a vast majority of it in the normal configuration but not all, you are right.

Little time but some progress on the driver's floor pan. Got it removed and working to get the new one ready to weld in. Will put in the rocker panel outside skins on before I do the rear sill. Must fab the sports for the rockers as well.

Look at the rust inside the rocker panel!

86B7D75D-0AD0-4B54-8DBB-238B51381E6B.jpeg
2B5CB722-F436-4171-AE64-2F2596CC13CC.jpeg
C2604ACA-CABA-4F89-A6CD-C8162B470616.jpeg

Sweet. Good man!

I'm going to put it on my 4Plus rear bumper/carrier or on the rear frame cross member, wherever it fits best. I love my 4Plus carrier, but it covers up the stock "Toyota" and "4 Wheel Drive" emblems to where they can't be seen.

I began fabbing the throttle bracket for the '70 and the rocker braces for the '76.

2D45DAEF-7E14-4C83-B943-301873ABD6DD.jpeg
CF44103B-7124-4CC3-8988-C01B6C01372A.jpeg

I reordered the gear reduction starter for the '76, as the one I ordered before doesn't fit the bolt pattern. I believe the first one I ordered was an '88. I thought I read that was a year that worked with the '76. Now I see that '83 is the correct year, so trying that.

I located the alternator bracket but remembered that I have to do some repair on it as one of the holes for mounting looks like it was ground away, and doesn't look like it will hold up under strain.

Looks like the bracket is cast iron. I'll have to weld it with some of that special kind of rod for cast iron.

Not much of an update, but, I did finish out the brackets for the rocker panels on one side of the truck, bought an oven for some powder coating for $25 (much to the chagrin of my wife), as well as the Eastwood dual voltage powder gun, continued to blast and zinc coat fasteners, and blast and prime/paint other parts, and mounted the gear reduction starter and the 80 amp alternator to the engine.

S l o w l y m o v i n g forward.

IMG_7076.JPG

IMG_7077.JPG

IMG_7060.JPG

IMG_7078.JPG

IMG_7081.JPG

Oh, yea, and bought a bunch of body hammers from Dagger tools - they are sweet, and they are not very expensive! That was like Christmas!

Bottom two photos are of that hard to find hammer that is convex on both the round and square end. Seems like Dagger is the only one available in the US - the other two manufacturers stopped making them. Got two body slapper spoons, a long body file, and two more dollys as well, all that for under $300.

IMG_7053.JPG

IMG_7054 (1).JPG

IMG_7057.JPG
IMG_7056.JPG

@Jdc1 So the alternator is an 80 amp from a newer TLC. Has a different connector on it, which @Coolerman took care of when he reworked my harness, but that he sells connector conversions for.

There is a thread that discusses the details:
Alternator altering

and coolerman's parts website with the connector and other details:
Cruiser Wiring

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I've caught up on your thread... man, so glad I did. Good to see you picking back up and attacking the body work. Also, the running gear is downright sexy. Can't wait to see your finished product...

@Jdc1 So the alternator is an 80 amp from a newer TLC. Has a different connector on it, which @Coolerman took care of when he reworked my harness, but that he sells connector conversions for.

There is a thread that discusses the details:
Alternator altering

and coolerman's parts website with the connector and other details:
Cruiser Wiring

And big thanks for posting these links! I've got a new project...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom