Builds 1997 HZJ77HV-PEU Build (Grey Poupon) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was considering using the old flanges off old exhaust to create the new junction for the center tube

Set it up to use a stock exhaust gasket and call it done.

I also considered re-using the old stuff I will probably scavenge them off just in case. Once I have the new stuff in hand.

This is what I did on my T4R and it worked out really well. I would love to do the nested part but I don’t have an expander/shrinker handy. so far, the flat gaskets work fine with no leaks whatsoever. I think as long as your fab work is decent quality and you don't mess up the alignment of the flanges flat seems fine.

GUnEncZ.jpg

J0joPp8.jpg

5Y6Ml35.jpg

IMG_4135.JPG

It said ETREME on the can so it must be amazing right?

I have had really good luck with KBS stuff over the years so... hopefully this will live up to the name. it will burn off the manifold shield eventually but it will look good for a while anyways.

since I had the exhaust off anyways figured I would sand blast and rattle all the shields and fluid film under side real good.
IMG_4150.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

and slowly making progress on the front clip, already looks way better. it was 3x different colors and had some rust starting so this should help it live for a little longer.

IMG_4151.JPG

It said ETREME on the can so it must be amazing right?

I have had really good luck with KBS stuff over the years so... hopefully this will live up to the name. it will burn off the manifold shield eventually but it will look good for a while anyways.

since I had the exhaust off anyways figured I would sand blast and rattle all the shields and fluid film under side real good.
View attachment 3366461

View attachment 3366462

and slowly making progress on the front clip, already looks way better. it was 3x different colors and had some rust starting so this should help it live for a little longer.

View attachment 3366466
D00d, when they misspell extreme like that, and make it way cooler by saying it is "Xtreme" then it is for sure really, really good. Like, Xtra good. :p

See what happens when you "start" on something? Now look at what you've done! lol. Loving what you are doing though, it will bring much peace of mind when you do start driving this regularly.

I might have missed the reason why you decided to delete the sunroof? Didn't work? Don't use them? Childhood trauma?

You've definitely got some talent that puts a hack like me to shame. I also appreciate your dry sense of humor! Keep up the great work and pics! :cheers:

D00d, when they misspell extreme like that, and make it way cooler by saying it is "Xtreme" then it is for sure really, really good. Like, Xtra good. :p

See what happens when you "start" on something? Now look at what you've done! lol. Loving what you are doing though, it will bring much peace of mind when you do start driving this regularly.

I might have missed the reason why you decided to delete the sunroof? Didn't work? Don't use them? Childhood trauma?

You've definitely got some talent that puts a hack like me to shame. I also appreciate your dry sense of humor! Keep up the great work and pics! :cheers:

When I purchased the truck, it was duct taped with white tape :/ I knew it but the rest of the truck was what I wanted so I bit that bullet.

was leaking for a long time probably because it caused some water damage inside as well. Was going to be a pain the behind from here on out so... I decided to solve that problem and in turn create 10x more. solid reasoning IMO.

I'm not in a huge hurry, sure I want to drive the majestic beast around again but I guess I might as well make it what I want

70 series the gateway drug.

Last edited:
When I purchased the truck, it was duct taped with white tape :/ I knew it but the rest of the truck was what I wanted so I bit that bullet.

was leaking for a long time probably because it caused some water damage inside as well. Was going to be a pain the behind from here on out so... I decided to solve that problem and in turn create 10x more. solid reasoning IMO.

I'm not in a huge hurry, sure I want to drive the majestic beast around again but I guess I might as well make it what?

70 series the gateway drug.
I hear ya there! Too bad the PO didn't realize you just need to clean the drains on the sunroof. All sunroofs leak, it is why they come with drains. But, as you said, left unserviced, they can create quite a mess. You are definitely clearing out all the irregularities, so in the end you will have the peace of mind that is priceless.

You know, I can think of far more costly addictions than a Land Cruiser... like heroine for example, because that is far more costly in the long run. I also find working on the Land Cruiser therapeutic, so it is a justifiable addiction in my books. And I don't let it steal my time from my family. Some jobs can take a looooong time to complete that way, so larger jobs tend to get sidelined often... but I know once my kids are grown, I will be glad to have a hobby!

Have been trying to make a final push so things can go for paint. I cleaned my doors and by cleaned them I mean CLEANED THEM. Pressure washed the inside, isopropyl + ultra fine scotch bright to remove all the gunk and adhesives. They are squeaky clean right now.

After all that prep my wife walked into the garage and knocked some stuff over… nothing got hurt but I had a rush of adrenalin.

I took some moving blankets and made big bags out of them so the doors and other parts can be safe as a bug in a rug. Having a big honking sewing machine does have its advantages. I can sew 10x layers of fabric and 5 feet like in 30 seconds. Accuracy is not important here. My freak out level has dropped back to normal freak out, but the day is still young.

IMG_4154.JPG
IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4156.JPG

still fighting it, since I had to strip a part of this wheel arch to repair the seat belt anchor thing... I re-did the entire wheel arch.

same old routine, wire wheel + Roloc disc and then clean with Isopropyl. The Roloc disc are really great they don’t remove any metal and work great at stripping old paint. They go quickly and are expensive but they do work very well.

1689815809335.png

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4182.JPG

and after 2x coats of DTM epoxy a couple of layers of pumpkin spice 3m seam sealer. Still waiting on the undercoating so once I get it I can finish this off.

IMG_4189.JPG

I never want to do this again, replaced them all even the crappy little guys who probably don't do nutten.

I would post the part numbers but that would deprive others of the fun. seriously it's fun don't underestimate trying to figure out what you have and where you might find them. The part numbers are cast right into the rubber on the mounts. I had several different combo's that were different on both sides.

IMG_4196.JPG

one bit of errata: The new replacement bolts Toyota specs are the ones shown on far right, fancy hex portion on the bottom. I found it impossible to get a full bite on the lock nuts with these. I used some 100mm 10.9 from bolts and nuts. worked perfect. The threaded portion is a little shorter but you can see the witness lines with them side by side. They have just enough threads to work. Depth is governed by the sleave in the bushing. They had just enough thread as well on the bottom to get a full bite with the lock nut. This does not apply to the front bolts; they are miles long - no troubles on those whatsoever.

Also you must have your headlamp ring out otherwise you can’t get the front bolt out. Also lifting the body up probably means your going to need your exhaust off.

It seems to me these trucks are very assembly line process focused. Things happen in an order and that needs to be undone a lot of the time if you want to replace something. Or I’m just stupid and that is probably a lot of it.

IMG_4197.JPG

I have the opinion that mudflaps make the man, just as Aristotle indicated in 384 BC.

so, I'm not going with a stock bumper setup in the rear, still not 100% decided on how that is going to go but I do know 2 things. I need to plug the holes where the rubber mounting strip is attached and better test fit the non-over fender flaps to make sure things line up before paint.

and they don't line up. bust out the autobody remodeling tools.
IMG_4213.JPG

the old Stanley chisel I found in the yard one time planting a tree comes in handy for seam sealer. it's been sharped a lot now, I'm pretty good at sharpening thing... no I will not sharpen your chisels for you.

Really glad I test fit them I would have been really pissy after paint happened.

IMG_4212.JPG

the new rounds will work.

IMG_4211.JPG

yep perfect nice!
IMG_4210.JPG

and will finish it up with a 2x coat of DTM so the paint guys can re-pave over it.
IMG_4215.JPG

one side down 1 to go on plugging those holes.

beta test Version 0 of the headliner went about as well as expected... it's going to take some wax on wax off to get it nailed. I learned some differences exist between the moonroof and non-moonroof wire lengths so I will make some changes to the pattern. The pattern will need to be a hybrid of the rear 2x panels of the moonroof truck with the rest from the non.

But overall, I did not expect it to go into place as much as it did so... should maybe take another 2x shots. I also learned what sewing order not to follow.

The fabric I have finally found that seems to match the Toyota stuff is called Duck Canvas Fabric and it's relatively cheap + the color match and pattern are almost perfect.

Duck Canvas Fabric

IMG_4237.JPG

Version 0.1b headliner is getting better

I blew a couple of seams. I think using the canvas as the wire sleaves is a mistake. The sleave material will need to be something with more give/stretch/flex to help things ease into place. I'm going to need to go looking today for seam ribbon.

I need to test the pillars and install all the handles and stuff to make sure none of that stuff needs special considerations.

Wax on, Wax off
IMG_E4241.JPG

you can never have enough spring clamps, oh wait yea I have enough now

IMG_4239.JPG

This stuff is Shasta McNasty - I almost gagged when I took my Respirator off while cleaning up and getting hell out of there.

A couple of helpful things I have learned about it. It’s pretty much a thick moisture cure DTM epoxy + chunks of rubber maybe?. So dry times are going to be weather sensitive. If you in the desert it might take a bit. I 3d print my own mixers for epoxy based stuff, IMO they work so much better than the stupid cheap arse crap at the home center for mixing stuff.

You can apply it with the supplied special 4” roller but small spots will turn out fine dabbing with a small brush. Mask everything because it’s like any epoxy and once it’s on something it is not coming off ever, this includes your skin. Good stuff seems very legit.

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

IMG_4245.JPG

it was blast, etch, paint(pending) running board bracket sub-assembly side step day. I know you can still get them new but mine were still ok with just minor rust so re-use is in order.

IMG_4260.JPG

@FJ73Texas and I struck a trade of fun bucks and his exotic golf club grill. the packing people labeled it golf club

I need to put the front clip together to make sure everything is good so I will make sure it's going to work then blast it and get it looking good again. Wish they still made them new.

IMG_4254.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom