1992 HZJ-75 Troopy: Going to need a bunch of advice on this build..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have an idea or product that can help take the old glue and adhesive off the roof? When I was first pulling off the previous material, I was getting pissed as the color looked like rust at first.
_DSC0735-4.jpg

What about some Goof-Off gel and plastic razor blades on a scraper tool? You'ill need lots of white rags and would probably be smart to put plastic down on floor of truck. It will be a mess.

We used our hot water pressure washer and melted it away.....not sure where it all ended up but it wasn't on the roof 👍
20190723_091733.jpg
20190723_112258_HDR.jpg

What about some Goof-Off gel and plastic razor blades on a scraper tool? You'ill need lots of white rags and would probably be smart to put plastic down on floor of truck. It will be a mess.

We used our hot water pressure washer and melted it away.....not sure where it all ended up but it wasn't on the roof 👍
View attachment 2348782View attachment 2348783
I was thinking of waiting for a super hot day here and use a pressure washer to see if that would work.

How painful was that?

it wasn’t a fun job but honestly not too bad. You will just end up with little fuzzies all over yourself and the truck. I highly recommend the use of some sort of power tools whether it be a drill or heated pressure washer. I first tried a heat gun along with a wire brush and paint scraper and I wasn’t getting anywhere. With the drill it goes pretty fast.

I was thinking of waiting for a super hot day here and use a pressure washer to see if that would work.

The cold water of a standard pressure washer won't do much to it I don't think....the 180 degree heated pressurized water is what it needs.

But I bet with the sun beating on it and some good adhesive remover sprayed up there it will come off pretty easy with a scraper.

I tried goof off... goo gone... lacquer thinner... a heat gun... scraper... a combination of multiples of these solutions... and in the end went with a power tool. Any type of adhesive remover/scraper solution is just going to take forever... I started down that path and it was frustrating the heck out of me.

I used an abrasive stripping wheel on an angle grinder. It took me about an hour to get 80% of the roof done (I still need to hit the front). But this is what I'll use when I finish the job. Wear a mask and goggles... and have at it.
382abrasivewheel.jpg

Mine was like this...
381nasty.jpg

And ended up like this...
383clean.jpg

View attachment 2348782View attachment 2348783
I need to start using a GoPro for interior shots... not sure why I didn't think of this.

I need to start using a GoPro for interior shots... not sure why I didn't think of this.

Wide angle on my phone.....pretty cool.

Can someone verify this for me, I just put in new seals and what not throughout the truck. The door leaks water, its crazy. This morning there was a puddle in the door and I am sure that isn't correct. I took a video but can't post it here. But water just runs down through the seal pretty much unimpeded. I posted the video in the troopcarriers of Australia Facebook (TROOPCARRIERS OF AUSTRALIA) if your curious to watch the waterfall.

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

Upload the video to YouTube and embed here. Several guys don’t have FB
I will work on trying that but I did get a bunch of responses on Facebook, essentially the door is meant to let water through. Unless you are looking at it or the drainage plugs at the bottom are blocked most people would not have noticed. Its just crazy to see when you have the door cards off.

Yahoo auctions. If you don’t have a japanese bank account see If a local you work with can order one for you.

I think you can still get the 12V version that is still available and upgrade bulbs to 24V. @Onur did this for his BJ70 as referenced here:

Builds - 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories

Bulbs should be readily available out there from autobachs or makuman. There shouldn’t be any reason the 76 assembly wouldn’t work, cross check parts diagrams. Only problem might be ordering the part without a frame number.

Bulbs should be readily available out there from autobachs or makuman. There shouldn’t be any reason the 76 assembly wouldn’t work, cross check parts diagrams. Only problem might be ordering the part without a frame number.

I just noticed he only has one battery in the engine bay on the first page of this thread so maybe his cruiser is 12V?

I just noticed he only has one battery in the engine bay on the first page of this thread so maybe his cruiser is 12V?
Its 12v, and I do need to get another battery. It is a little lonely in there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom