Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fuel filter day.

Got the filter from @cruiseroutfit, fast shipping even though this one bounced around denver for a couple days for no reason. Great service as usual!

View attachment 3268813

Easy install. I didn’t prefill the filter, some do, some don’t…used some howes on the o-ring seal, pulled up the plunger and primed it up in no time. Fired up instantly no sputtering.

View attachment 3268815

Test drive went fine, no leaks, no sputters. Seems to run the same which is good. 😎

And of course a poser shot.

View attachment 3268814
Great picture!
For some reason, I stopped getting alerts about your thread...

Did I see your name on SAS this year?

Thanks you. Great pics.
Added to my 'next time in the US for vacation' bucket list. Colorado, Moab, Utah and stuff is on it anyway.
Last time we made it down as far as Las Vegas. Saved the canyons for next time. Well, that was 10 years ago. 🤔
Cheers Ralf

Yeah well worth a stop over if you are in the area. I can’t take credit for those pictures, I found those online, I didn’t really take any this weekend.

Colorado moab and that area has some epic trails and destinations. Let us know when you are back in the US, would be a fun cruiser meet up.

Me: nice to meet you, you are welcome matey, cheerios!

You might have passed until the "cheerios!" ;) ....... try "cheers ol' cobber, have a good one" next time, if nothing else it'll make them wonder... good what?
Diggin the photo's and little bit of background story

You might have passed until the "cheerios!" ;) ....... try "cheers ol' cobber, have a good one" next time, if nothing else it'll make them wonder... good what?
Diggin the photo's and little bit of background story

I’ll try some next time. Completely caught me off guard from my bad accent game I like to play with people.

Glad you enjoy it, I always wonder if people like or hate the little sidebars.

Your middy is epic btw…

Great info on Glenwood, my kids will think some of that is cool. Me and the family are going to be there for 3 nights next week, skiiing Sunlight and soaking in the tubs.

Great info on Glenwood, my kids will think some of that is cool. Me and the family are going to be there for 3 nights next week, skiiing Sunlight and soaking in the tubs.

Very cool, I enjoyed sunlight in the past. They used to have a ski FJ40 that transported people around, it was there a couple years ago.

You going to the big pool or the Iron Mountain springs? We hit both but the iron mountain are by far more relaxing and less public pool.

The hike to Doc Hollidays grave isn’t bad at all, less than a mile.

There’s also the glenwood caverns “adventure park” you can ride gondolas up, they have some rides. Alpine slide coaster, giant swing, cave tours etc bit not all are open. The slide is, first time we did that, of course kids liked it.

Rocky Mountain pizza co downtown was delicious. If you in the mood for Nepalese or
Indian food HOME | masala-and-curry - https://www.masalaandcurry.com/ was good.

And don’t miss Sweet Coloradough - https://sweetcoloradough.com/

Amazing donuts, they sell coffee with liquor :) and other breakfast approved drinks for that pick me up. Kids will love the donuts and sandwiches. Very cool people there.

They even gave my wife a shot of tequila for no apparent reason, I mean it was 10:30am… :rofl:

Very cool! Im getting ready to start parting mine out…not looking forward to that at all. If I could find a cheap one I “might” build it and put my pop top on it, but doubtful.

Did VW sell this particular van in the USA with the TDI?

Did VW sell this particular van in the USA with the TDI?

Nope only the 5cyl Audi gas and the VR6 I’m 1999 and later. with the “Eurovan” but the good thing is that they are all very modular with European models. Only manual in the few years with the 5cylinder, but again you can swap it all fairly easy along with awd if you desire

I’m on the wait list. If I don’t get in I might just pop by for a visit for a few days. My mom lives only a couple hours from there.
I'm on the list as well... kind of funny, it is the "ode to the 70 series" although only 3 or so 70 series are currently on the list.

Going to push to get my tire carrier, ARB lockers, regear, axle rebuilds done before I show up... and same plan as you... not sure I can stand that big of groups on trails.

Just a couple of pics from the trip.

Looking down into Glenwood

37301535-A1DC-482A-993D-BB436DF98452.jpeg

And a first…I’ve never seen a painted Delorean.

B9EA738E-F233-4272-9837-FD41CEAC8A0B.jpeg

So extreme mild tech:

On my softtop I have rain gutters just Ike the FRP except mine are fully metal due to the soft top parts.
Now I’m trying to figure out the best way to support whatever I put up there because I can at most do 2 towers per side up front and Probabaly 2 at most at rear facing forward.

I’m trying to decide if it’s better to attack a flat base rack, or use Thule bars. I have bike racks and a few adapters for the Thule bars,

These Thule bars clear the roof , should clear the soft top. I just don’t know if they make a “T” for the cross bars since the back is facing the other way.
498569FE-C40B-445F-A3FE-404818204379.jpeg

Terrible picture but it’s windy as all get out. The rear soft top hoop has the rain gutter in the same place. So I’m trying to figure out whether to use bars or scrap the Thule idea and use different towers $$$ and build a base rack.

A7901B68-0A52-484F-975E-3B3293C1B87C.jpeg

Again this is for my soft top so no worries about fiberglass issues.

That FRP drip rail is not at all suitable for any significant weight. Mine were broken by a previous owner attachment and it was a pain in the ass to fix them. No way would I put anything up there unless you keep the gross weight below 100 pounds.

That FRP drip rail is not at all suitable for any significant weight. Mine were broken by a previous owner attachment and it was a pain in the ass to fix them. No way would I put anything up there unless you keep the gross weight below 100 pounds.

Sorry, I was a little vague, I’m not using the FRP top for this, my soft top frame has the same rain gutters in all metal. I plan on using the rack over the soft top.

I'm assuming that's DeLorean public art on permanent display. :)

What do you plan to carry up there? Our carbon fiber slalom boats travel just fine on a lightweight rack such as that one. I see plenty of people carrying plastic boats on those racks but they don't look particularly safe to me. You should also consider the uplift of whatever you plan to transport. That can be as worrisome as weight.

Didn't say a thing about batteries.... :p

DeLorean's and Artisan Ice Cream? I might be re-thinking my visit to the hot springs.

But I do love the fantastic side bar stories and location information!

wow that delorean is way cool, nice pics thanks!

I'm assuming that's DeLorean public art on permanent display. :)

What do you plan to carry up there? Our carbon fiber slalom boats travel just fine on a lightweight rack such as that one. I see plenty of people carrying plastic boats on those racks but they don't look particularly safe to me. You should also consider the uplift of whatever you plan to transport. That can be as worrisome as weight.

Didn't say a thing about batteries.... :p

Yeah I was like what the he…..

As for plans it could be bikes (light), plastic kayaks, paddle board (not super heavy) lumber from the store (???) roof top tent (176lbs heavy) or a basket with random stuff for trips or the cargo box(light)

Still unsure about the roof top tent. It’s big and heavy so I’m undecided on that. It’s a nice ezi-awn but heavy.

Did you get your batteries sorted? :cool:

DeLorean's and Artisan Ice Cream? I might be re-thinking my visit to the hot springs.

But I do love the fantastic side bar stories and location information!

Oh glenwood is cool and there are definitely some odd things there. Well worth a day or two. Iron mountain hot springs is relaxing for sure.

I didn’t go over any trails but there are some scenic trails out there. Not my photos

Lead King Loop: I

C0B8DE09-680F-41E1-9C75-5F7973C2BE5C.jpeg

F91E47CA-AC3F-4F73-95A9-AEF88B0BFBF0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom