Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure why they did that. If that is Discount Tire, that is against protocol (to use four at once) or at least it was forbidden over 20 years ago when I worked there. When I had the PZJ70 there several years ago, I made sure they did NOT use floor jacks like that. They griped about it a little because they had to go find rubber blocks.

View attachment 3255294

Not sure why they did that. I’ve seen brodozers in there. The place I had them before didn’t use the jacks, they used the lifts so I’ll Probabaly take it back to the other store.

Fuel filter day.

Got the filter from @cruiseroutfit, fast shipping even though this one bounced around denver for a couple days for no reason. Great service as usual!

E3539A50-EED9-40F0-A89A-403D5176D486.jpeg

Easy install. I didn’t prefill the filter, some do, some don’t…used some howes on the o-ring seal, pulled up the plunger and primed it up in no time. Fired up instantly no sputtering.

6F3BC383-7AA7-4F5B-82A0-5E268B6A7477.jpeg

Test drive went fine, no leaks, no sputters. Seems to run the same which is good. 😎

And of course a poser shot.

CFB35E9C-4B7C-4CD7-A459-D106ACD49363.jpeg

any reason why you dont prefill the filter? Curious as I've always filled them given the chance, same with oil

So diesel is dirty. I tried to figure out how to prefill, not get it dirty, not spill all over and get it installed.

I would have to pour the diesel in the outside holes, or have a filtered can as the diesel filters from the outside then goes up the middle of the filter to the pump.

Maybe I’m going a little too ocd on older style injectors. but I know the newer ones can get screwed up pretty quickly with small particles.

That said, I can pull the new filter out of the plastic, and quickly put it on. Then the primer pump works really quickly to fill it with filtered diesel from the tank. I figure that’s the least messy and least chance of contamination.

So diesel is dirty. I tried to figure out how to prefill, not get it dirty, not spill all over and get it installed.

I would have to pour the diesel in the outside holes, or have a filtered can as the diesel filters from the outside then goes up the middle of the filter to the pump.

Maybe I’m going a little too ocd on older style injectors. but I know the newer ones can get screwed up pretty quickly with small particles.

That said, I can pull the new filter out of the plastic, and quickly put it on. Then the primer pump works really quickly to fill it with filtered diesel from the tank. I figure that’s the least messy and least chance of contamination.
Never would have thought about it that way!!! Well lucky for me I always filled mine up with seafoam which is hopefully more refined. Would have never even come across my mind of dirty diesel entering the IP. Thanks 👍

Never would have thought about it that way!!! Well lucky for me I always filled mine up with seafoam which is hopefully more refined. Would have never even come across my mind of dirty diesel entering the IP. Thanks 👍
I agree with Ben... even after replacing all the fuel lines from the filter housing back, including the pickup from the tank, I just used the primer pump. Took more than the usual for a filter (30 pumps as opposed to 10-15 for me), but once the primer is firm, fire it up! I realize the primers are different betwixt the B and HZ motors, but I found they both worked equally well.

I will err on the side of caution and waste fuel rather than introduce contaminants to the pump. I have NEVER primed a fuel filter. That is what the primer pump is for.

Oil filters, yes. But not on the HZ. The angle and position of the oil filter on the HZ prohibit priming. I always thought the positioning odd, for when you shut the engine off, the filter is positioned such that it would drain.

I agree with Ben... even after replacing all the fuel lines from the filter housing back, including the pickup from the tank, I just used the primer pump. Took more than the usual for a filter (30 pumps as opposed to 10-15 for me), but once the primer is firm, fire it up! I realize the primers are different betwixt the B and HZ motors, but I found they both worked equally well.

I will err on the side of caution and waste fuel rather than introduce contaminants to the pump. I have NEVER primed a fuel filter. That is what the primer pump is for.

Oil filters, yes. But not on the HZ. The angle and position of the oil filter on the HZ prohibit priming. I always thought the positioning odd, for when you shut the engine off, the filter is positioned such that it would drain.

Not that the manual is gospel (forgive me Mr Toyoda) but they do show not prefilling and using the primer pump.

Yeah no pre-fill oil filter on the 13bt either. It points 70ish degrees down.

@theglobb I’m sure you are fine prefilling with seafoam or another additive and people seem to swear by both methods.

Not that the manual is gospel (forgive me Mr Toyoda) but they do show not prefilling and using the primer pump.

Yeah no pre-fill oil filter on the 13bt either. It points 70ish degrees down.

@theglobb I’m sure you are fine prefilling with seafoam or another additive and people seem to swear by both methods.
I have never used seafoam, but have heard many people say good things. I tend to run FPPF Arctic Power in my fuel tank. It has a high lubricity factor, dispels water, and adds a little fuel mileage (negligible in a 70 where fuel economy isn't really a thing) but it dispels water, important if your vehicle sits or if you are in colder climates. It also cleans, but more of a maintenance thing, not in a powerful way like seafoam.

Wait... you don't read the FSM like the BIBLE!?!?! To borrow humor from the waterboy - "That talk be from the debil!"

I’ve been watching a slow leak at the back of the engine :cautious: so decided to look at little harder. I knew my exhaust gasket was leaking up front and also appeared in the back now right where the leaking was.

Pretty sure it wasn’t oil from the exhaust so I decided to pull that gasket and replace it and to get a better look.

My first thought is that it’s that rocker cover.

BC8EA1BB-5FA4-4319-B2CA-E91FC6946390.jpeg

Behind the engine and bellhousing look pretty good.

3C99BB0D-EFB1-4A06-AE84-52660E95C625.jpeg

4A6BF9C6-EACD-4B36-88BC-6A5BCA655571.jpeg

Here you can see an OEM exhaust gasket vs the one that came with engines Australia kit. The intake and exhaust gaskets in their rebuild kit suck. Buy OEM for these.

B0E3B330-2EF5-4224-B7DB-1932EB41F996.jpeg

You can see oem is like an MLS style.
AA9160BC-C1AE-4845-8CAD-9291A75E8D90.jpeg

Pro tip: make sure all your exhaust bolts will loosen before attempting this task. Thankfully all mine came out easily.

Next was getting the manifold off and out of the way. The good thing with my setup now is that it’s just the 8 bolts for the manifold, and 2 into the oil cooler that help suspend the turbo.

With those pulled, unhook the crossover pipe and I was able to pull the whole manifold back enough to replace the gasket.

Looking down you can see a little oily mess but not bad.

1D4B272D-81CC-45F4-8862-2B3E755B44A0.jpeg

Let’s check the crossover pipe. Nice and clean since I don’t run the crankcase vent into the air intake.

1D829A42-E1F1-43FE-B0F4-81A29AF6BABE.jpeg

Same for the Holset. Super clean, still paint stamps/marks. It’s been on for about 5,000 miles.

2A71116B-E584-47E1-9B82-9A2C3CB325CB.jpeg

All buttoned up. I need to clean the engine again and go for a test drive to check for exhaust leaks.

6F61EECC-D0B0-4D6B-8B66-401C0F6A7697.jpeg

This was made a lot easier due to my turbo upgrade. No water lines to deal with and then my Downpipe is a Vband so super easy to take off.

Here’s the part number for the exhaust gasket.

396372B8-0562-4AD3-AA27-15671064E89B.jpeg

One more project down, about 100 to go.

Another small update on the day.

I decided to do 2 small mods. Earlier I’d had the problem at high boost of a vacuum created and closing the shutoff butterfly causing the engine to stall until the vacuum left.

All of this started happening when I put the oem 70 series snorkel top on. It doesn’t happen often at all but decided I’ll try something.

@Behemoth60 Has great info on the 13bt shutdown issues:

Source 2 is very unexpected and sometimes unwelcome. At other times, quite appreciated. There is a vacuum line that starts between the air filter and the turbo intake. That line snakes around the front of the engine and connects to that aforementioned vacuum switching valve. However, this particular vacuum line is actually open to the butterfly valve actuator diaphragm. All the time. It is never switched by the vacuum switching valve. If that line experiences low enough pressure to actuate the diaphragm and close the butterfly valve, your engine will shut off. low pressure between air filter and turbo intake = engine shuts off.

@bj70bc stated: i cut half of the cyclone fins out of the oem snokel top, too restrictive

I’ve heard other mentions of the top being restrictive. So I went ahead and cut like 5 of the fins out on the bottom. The first test drive I noticed it was quieter and nothing bad happened lol.

The second thing I did to test the above theory more was turn up the boost a little. I shortened the wastegate rod on the turbo. Super easy with the Holset.

Unlock jam nut, turn the roll nut a mm or so and tighten back up.

Not my photo…
24649444-8101-40BA-B407-DB751A0C10A9.jpeg

Test drive again, hit 19psi and no shutdown when pushing it. I’ll test a few more times to make sure.

nice 👍, i did notice free-er feeling acceleration once i chopped out half my snorkel fins
i have a feeling my compressor wheel was getting stressed by the restriction at 20 psi

Had to go into work Thursday so I drove it in. Had to fill up and found $3.88 diesel. I was waiting for the tdi jetta in front of me to move when I spotted a towtruck driver coming up to me.
I started rolling down my window and getting my Aussie accent ready. (Yes I’m shameless)

Old dude: hey mate, that sure brings back memories
Me: (trying to figure out his accent and do I risk using my terrible aussie accent…I bail on it and play it safe) thanks!
Old dude: I’m from New Zealand, and In the late 80s/90s we went to Japan and imported a bunch of land cruisers. Does yours have the 2.4 or the bigger?
Me: oh a kiwi! Very cool (puffing my chest) yeah mines the 3.4 13bt
Old dude: (old dude smiling and looking it over) great rigs mate go anywhere, we imported a lot of Prados

A few more minutes of Convo went on until he decides to let me go.

Old dude: thanks mate, this made my day. So many memories. Cheers!

Me: nice to meet you, you are welcome matey, cheerios!

9463128F-3230-49C5-A314-3C7221540CC9.gif

6E391A3B-33D7-41D4-A872-CEFC7EB63BBD.png

Of course, it already has a pop-top, but it's cheap enough.

Of course, it already has a pop-top, but it's cheap enough.
Typical eurovan owner, replace tranny, cooling issues etc etc lol. I may try and super lowball so I can swap my tdi into it.

I will try and look at it, we are up in glenwood springs for spring break chilling in the hot springs.

For those that don’t know..it’s in western colorado and is famous the the natural thermal hot springs and vapor caves.

B5207991-83BF-4518-93A8-13D51BACFD9A.jpeg

A8157508-D7E2-400A-9720-9DCF20574F77.jpeg

5AD3182F-3A04-4357-89B5-040A89ECB9FC.jpeg

The Ute Indians used these healing waters back in the 1800s and earlier. Around 1888 a few “investors” purchased the land and springs around glenwood and opened the hotel/resort.

A2E59080-F4E8-4FAB-92EE-16DD8F14EF29.jpeg

The original red sandstone bathhouse and lodge was built for $100,000 in l890. Designed by Austrian architect Theodore von Rosenberg, the walls of both the pool and the bathhouse were of solid masonry with peach-blow sandstone quarried nearby.

2F609FE7-92FB-4CF7-A58B-AB19D49D3E3A.jpeg

Other fun glenwood springs facts.

In 1887 Doc Holliday came to Glenwood Springs hoping to cure his tuberculosis. That didn’t happen and he’s buried up a short trail hike.

For those that don’t know, Doc Holiday gambler, dentist, gunfighter and friend of Wyatt Earp. Shootout at the OK Corral, etc.
Doc Holliday - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Holliday

Kid Curry was an outlaw that rode with Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. Having reputedly killed at least nine law enforcement officers in five shootings and another two men in other instances. He was involved in numerous shootouts with police and civilians and participated in several bank and train robberies with various gangs during his outlaw days. Was wounded then killed himself before capture again.

During World War II from 1943-1946 the pools were used by the US Navy as a Convalescent Hospital and closed to public.

Other things to do are hiking, mountain biking, rafting down the Colorado river, kayaking, skiing

Amazing drive down glenwood canyon

84E031A0-B685-4C9A-8C84-EA2BB613AA3F.jpeg

Hanging lake
8B530BB4-27D8-427B-BB6F-A7008E0DE630.jpeg

Oh and you are less than 3 hours to Moab, Ut.

My mom lives about 1 hour away from Glenwood so we have spent lots of time over the years. One of my favorite places to hang out. Due to the way it’s literally in the canyon, it really hasn’t gotten that big at all. If you are in looking for a great couple day getaway make this a stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom