Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's one (of many) things that I miss about my '97 Jetta. I started it a couple of times at -18ºF, no trouble at all. I was lucky to get my Prado started yesterday at 0ºF, it refused the morning before at -11ºF.
This seems... odd to me. The motor in your prado IS a jetta engine is it not? There must be some differences, but not sure what they would be. Different year? Glow system does not work the same? Or? 🤔

This seems... odd to me. The motor in your prado IS a jetta engine is it not? There must be some differences, but not sure what they would be. Different year? Glow system does not work the same? Or? 🤔

I had a 2001 jetta and this 1997 jetta starts way easier in the cold with basically the same miles.

The engines are similar, but not the same. I think he’s running a later ALH tdi, where as the earlier were 1Z or AHU and different for sure.

@FJBen ”Slumming in the 60 section” 🤣🤣 At least us 60 dirtbags proves useful this time!

Anyway, really glad to hear it works. Floodgates are now open for 12V BJ74s to use the HBIM. I believe the Koito headlight upgrade kit works with your truck too - that’s Toyota p/n 81110-60P70. I sell that as well and [warning: shameless promotion ahead] I do $10 off when you buy the Koito kit and module together.

I have access to a local friend’s 24V BJ71 with the same issue - no blue light in the dash with the high beams. I have components on hand to build a test unit for her. Maybe I ought to post in in the high-falutin’ 70 forum when I have those results back.

I had a 2001 jetta and this 1997 jetta starts way easier in the cold with basically the same miles.

The engines are similar, but not the same. I think he’s running a later ALH tdi, where as the earlier were 1Z or AHU and different for sure.
huh... mine is a 2005 (BEW) and it starts great until about -15F then it usually takes a couple of tries or a few glows, then go. I also had a couple of 1978/1981 non-turbo VW diesels and they seemed ok too... but that is going back to the tickle trunk of memories, and those are suspect at the best of times...

It is due to a couple of things: puny Toyota starter (1.4kW instead of the VW 2.0kW) and highly suspect glow plugs. Supposedly this era TDI wants about 350 cranking rpm to start well, my starter can only manage about 170-190 when it’s below freezing. I have a line on a 1.8kW starter that I think will fit, hopefully that will be an improvement.

That’s correct, I have the ALH. I haven’t noticed much difference between the AHU’s I’ve had and other ALH’s in the family in terms of starting. My parent’s first MK4 was an ALH and started great down to about -15°F, my brother’s 370k mile ALH is the same.

Not really on the list of anytime soon, but it was definitely on the list of someday.

Warn 8274. This particular one is from the 14th work day of October 1984. The person I got it from cleaned it up, replaced bearings/brake parts and sealed it up and painted. Not a fan of the painting on the aluminum case part, but for now it’s good. The cable is newer and he said maybe 2 pulls on it. I can say it’s not rusted or kinked or frayed at all so seems legit. Eventually I would like synthetic just for safety reasons.

Why have I been waiting for the 8274?
#1 iconic winch, fast, strong, durable, the GOAT
#2 my arb was made to fit an 8274
#3 can rebuild, upgrade, not made from chinesium
#4 period correctness - yes I know the make them still, but they just look so right on older cruisers. Not sure what the “go to” winch was in Australia in 1988… not going down that internet rabbit hole today!
#5 I can proudly say I’ve got a “warren wench” just like the people that sell them on Craigslist.

I would have loved to bought new, but $3,000 was out of my budget for a winch buy a long shot. For the price I paid, little more than 1/4 of new, I could have bought some harbor freight, smittybuilt some come up models and probably would have been OK with the way I will use it. I’m not bashing those choices and no one will ever complain if a chinesium winch pulls them out.

I have wanted an 8274 for a long time. I had the earlier version on my 55, but the 8274 is much better. It’s the gold standard imo, I’m sure there are arguments for others as well.

Only mods needed to install was knock out the blank plate for the fairlead and remove the tray where the winch goes.

Going cyclops for now, I will have to figure out a new mount style for my lights.

Battery Cables were perfect length to reach my secondary battery.

The winch works great. I fully realize I will probably never need to use it again now that I have it. No actually I’m going to start attaching it to anything I can and dragging around the property saying see! That’s why I needed it!

At this point, I’m mounting my roof top tent and buying a set of maxx trax sand ladders and 4 roto pax tanks away from being able to park at REI.

96B9B042-C5E8-4882-B603-12F81174151B.jpeg

E7346BA1-E6F6-42E1-A686-36349E57AD07.jpeg

#5 I can proudly say I’ve got a “warren wench” just like the people that sell them on Craigslist.
Also in Toyota Trails, where people mount their "Warren winch" on their "Land Crusiers." I had Find/Replace set in MS Word for these two particular misspellings (amongst many others). :)

Good going - best winch out there. Not the fastest but the most reliable and who's in a hurry with recovery anyway. (The answer: the people with missing fingers.)

While you're addressing the cyclops look (which is oddly fitting), perhaps get some period KC HiLiTES covers. ;)

I said nothing about batteries. :p

@FJBen The 3-light look actually works on that truck for whatever reason. I say keep it.

Nice. I've got a warren wench in the garage waiting for a rebuild (needs new solenoids and controller plug) and will need to modify my bumper for the install.

Hope to get to it this spring, but at the rate my projects go, it will be next spring. I really could have used one last year a few times, and that's the reason I got it, but just haven't had the extra time or funds to get to it yet.

Also in Toyota Trails, where people mount their "Warren winch" on their "Land Crusiers." I had Find/Replace set in MS Word for these two particular misspellings (amongst many others). :)

Good going - best winch out there. Not the fastest but the most reliable and who's in a hurry with recovery anyway. (The answer: the people with missing fingers.)

While you're addressing the cyclops look (which is oddly fitting), perhaps get some period KC HiLiTES covers. ;)

I said nothing about batteries. :p
Seems about right. Lots of warren wenches around!

From everything I knew about the 8274 is that it’s still one of the fastest winches around. I will say I haven’t kept up on all the the “smart Bluetooth order groceries from your winch,” winches.

The cyclops is growing on me honestly. It doesn’t look as bad as my symmetrical mind expects. I wish I knew what 80s wheeling in Australia looked like so I could be a bogan and fit right in.

Where are you at in the battery saga?

I had to get rid of the one light mount also when I installed the 8274

The arb mount is still there, I think i will just have to make “U” mount that only goes straight under the light rather than the back mount that’s on there now.

@FJBen The 3-light look actually works on that truck for whatever reason. I say keep it.

It’s not bad I’ll say that. It would be nice to have a more powerful light if I go single light.

1/2 tempted to remove the turn signals in the bumper and put some yellow fog lights in their place.

Nice. I've got a warren wench in the garage waiting for a rebuild (needs new solenoids and controller plug) and will need to modify my bumper for the install.

Hope to get to it this spring, but at the rate my projects go, it will be next spring. I really could have used one last year a few times, and that's the reason I got it, but just haven't had the extra time or funds to get to it yet.

Yeah I was figuring I was going to end up with one that needed a rebuild, but thankfully this one seems good to go.

I had so many times last month to use it…I’m going to find many ways to use it.

Not much exciting today. Took her into town and decided to wash it. 50 degrees, that’s tropical this time of year.

Also extended my PCV down below the frame to vent to atmosphere.

Also noticed some oil leak at the back of them engine from the pushrod cover. :rolleyes: Need to check all those bolts, I’m guessing some have loosened up.

I have lots of little projects/maintenance/tidy up I need finish on this….never ending.

0AA35154-D5D2-42AD-914A-A5D35E2BE615.jpeg

5589B828-E16E-4B02-989D-1E7DB28AED7E.jpeg

Took her in for a tire rotation. They had to get the right tech to drive it, Becuase well the lost art of the “manual transmission”

They went ahead and hand torqued the spacers and the wheels. Neither had loosened.

C507FA46-34CA-42CE-A511-F1CA5289DCBD.jpeg

Gave her another wash. Looking at the back of the engine where I thought the oil was leaking, all the boats were tight on the rocker cover. I think it was some coolant leaking from the heater hoses above. Clamps werent very tight so I wouldn’t be surprised it’s leaking on those heater hose. Snugged them all up. Took into town and cleaned it all all. Hopefully that does it.

3AED5873-CDAB-4485-B65E-DB6E1053EC12.jpeg

The other thing I did was pull the stereo out of the eurovan and put it in the cruiser. While the other stereo looked more period appropriate, it just wasn’t good. Non viewable during the day, poor reception and the Bluetooth volume was so much quieter.

This is an older Alpine ilx-007 car play model. About the only downfall over the previous other than looks is that this isn’t Bluetooth, so I have to plug in. Which isn’t awful considering it charges it.

Not sure I’ll keep it, but it has so much more features and options for tuning and sounds/works so much better.

Im thinking about going to whole Bluetooth hidden amp, nothing visible but for now thos will work and was free.

707E673D-5A42-4946-BAA4-2F3D9AC3D2E8.jpeg

4 floor jacks at once... What could possibly go wrong? :doh:

4 floor jacks at once... What could possibly go wrong? :doh:

Not sure why they did that. If that is Discount Tire, that is against protocol (to use four at once) or at least it was forbidden over 20 years ago when I worked there. When I had the PZJ70 there several years ago, I made sure they did NOT use floor jacks like that. They griped about it a little because they had to go find rubber blocks.

DTPZJ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom