Builds 1985 BJ70 Story and Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i have just finished reading your wright up and all i can say is amazing mate.

from the build to the jungle trip just great.
cant wait to see the BJ70 finished !;)

Haven't done much to the BJ70 as I had family from out of town during the holidays.

Omar (omarluis) posted a few videos of the Angel Falls trip and wanted to share them with you guys. We are still working on a longer and more organized YouTube version but this is a sneak peak of what it will include:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151198474765248

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151198440770248

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151198041280248

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151198547690248

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151197946670248

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151197967460248

Hope it works and hope you guys enjoy them.

-Alberto

No shoes, no shirt, no problem:)

These are some of the coolest photo's I've seen. What an adventure. This is so far beyond the US version of offroading! Mind if we share some of your pictures
on our Facebook page?

By the time we got to Tierras Blancas, all the trucks had taking a little beating and they were due for some love.

A group started working on pulling Iker's 3rd member and see what all failed. Also, we were hoping that somebody had brought the spare parts needed to get it going.

Omar's alternators (dual alternator set-up on his FZJ71) quit charging and they were needing some attention. Also, his lockers quit engaging and inspection as why this was happening was needed.

Fernando's rear leaf's were loose and the two load leaf had shifted a little. Also, the rear flexible brake hose had been ripped by the jungle. Fernando condened the rear lines leaving the FJ40 with front wheel brakes only (which worked perfect by the way).

Robert's truck started showing signs of wear in the throw-out-bearing (heavy noise) but other than that was in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
No problem, use them as you want :)

:cheers:

-Alberto

No shoes, no shirt, no problem:)

These are some of the coolest photo's I've seen. What an adventure. This is so far beyond the US version of offroading! Mind if we share some of your pictures
on our Facebook page?

Last edited:
Alberto...this thread is EPIC! I look forward to meeting you and seeing these rigs first hand!

this thread kicks ass.
Your 70 looks great.
I really love the post 99 grill and signal combo in black.
The overall truck looks steller!

Great videos, that bridge crossing was pretty narrow too....:eek:

excellent videos!

Alberto...this thread is EPIC! I look forward to meeting you and seeing these rigs first hand!

this thread kicks ass.
Your 70 looks great.
I really love the post 99 grill and signal combo in black.
The overall truck looks steller!

Great videos, that bridge crossing was pretty narrow too....:eek:

Nigel, Pete, Karter, and 1985bj70,

Thanks for the words, much appreciated!!

-Alberto

After a while without working on the BJ70, I bought a space heater to work on the garage. I got tired of having the 70 as a garage ornament...hahaha

Before I started working on installing the pusher pump (Walbro) I decided to check continuity with a multimeter on the glow plug system. The system was working correctly prior to the head removal, but I didn't get to verify its operation after the head install was completed.

The system was getting power up to the 5th glow plug (mounted on the intake manifold on some 3B's), but none of the 4 main glow plugs were getting any power. I took the system apart and found that the bar that feeds the power from the main circuit on the superglow system was broken and it was not conducting power at all.

Last photo on the left shows the broken feed bar, on the right the replacement bar.

221.JPG

222.jpg

223.JPG

I reinstalled the super glow system and check for continuity at the plugs and it seemed to be working now. My friend Andy stopped by to pick up some parts for his 40 and we verified the correct voltage at the glow plugs.

After over 2 months of being in the garage the BJ70 started on the first attempt. I have been starting the truck daily and it has been consistently starting well. I think it is safe to declare success on the starting issue :)

224.JPG

225.JPG

226.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps it was answered already, but how did you legally register and import the truck into the US?

Thanks,
Zack

He bought it already in the US, from California. I believe the previous owner was a MUD member. This is/was a Canadian spec BJ70 legally imported per the 25 yr. rule. Search and ye shall find much info on the process in this forum. I bought an '85 BJ70 about 8 yrs ago through an importer in WA state. It's easy, and not too expensive. I believe the purchase price of the vehicle is a basis for the importation fee. Mine was relatively cheap, about 5K, but the frame was too rusty to keep long term. Great trucks-I never had a single mechanical issue in three years of ownership.

He bought it already in the US, from California. I believe the previous owner was a MUD member. This is/was a Canadian spec BJ70 legally imported per the 25 yr. rule. Search and ye shall find much info on the process in this forum. I bought an '85 BJ70 about 8 yrs ago through an importer in WA state. It's easy, and not too expensive. I believe the purchase price of the vehicle is a basis for the importation fee. Mine was relatively cheap, about 5K, but the frame was too rusty to keep long term. Great trucks-I never had a single mechanical issue in three years of ownership.

Like mentioned above, I bought the truck from a fellow MUD member and the truck was already registered in the U.S.

Alberto,
I still don't see a Turbo under the hood yet?

Good to hear from you, Bruce!

No turbo yet. It was finally this weekend that I took the truck out and put a few miles on the engine after the head rebuild. I wanted to make sure that it didn't burn up in flames after the head work :D

I had to fix a slow leak on the radiator drain plug. It seems that the little O-ring got crushed and was letting the coolant leak. Replaced the failed O-ring and the system was once again good to go.

Alberto,
I still don't see a Turbo under the hood yet?

227.JPG

228.JPG

229.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom