Builds 1988 BJ73 slow build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nigelgrayfoto.com
So I've most likely annoyed many people here on the forums on the search for a 70 series, Crushers and Charles being the top two, and finally pulled the trigger on David's cruiser from WA. I realize there are a lot of build threads, but consider this a build thread from a complete rookie who should have titled the thread, "If this Idiot can do it so can You!"

The goal is to eventually have a mildly built light off-road BJ73 for small expeditions and adventures. The BJ73 is pretty much stock minus Garrett turbo and muffler. My build/dream (when money allows) consists of the below (no specific order).

1) Diff. breathers
2) Rear storage
3) Snorkel
4) Tall skinny tires (33x9.5) need to find 16" rims first
5) 2-3" lift
6) Diff. lockers
7) beefed up front and rear bumper
8) roof top tent
9) blah blah blah...a man can dream.

I don't have many photos yet, still dirty from it's journey from WA...but here is one.

Neighbours and a few close friends are already wanting one.

2.jpg

Last edited:
1988 BJ73 slow build...
So I've most likely annoyed many people here on the forums on the search for a 70 series, Crushers and Charles being the top two,

Mentioning my name on a public forum ...... So much for the witness protection program. :)

So since this is a technical forum, here is some tech info that this idiot came across. The one headrest had a nick in it and I'm a bit OCD and had to fix it one way or another. If you ever need a headrest I can promise you one off a 1995 Toyota pick-up will work. I swapped them out and was able to switch from my previous Toyota to this one. Spent a good four hours yesterday detailing the inside and looks pretty mint.

Also, if you are at times slow to find where the fuse box is located (like I was) here is where it it located...took me a while to find. The cig. lighter isn't putting out any power so I was hoping it was just the fuse...it wasn't, so tomorrow I will be diving in trying to figure out how to get power back to the lighter....sadly the radio running through a 12V converter decided to no longer function so I'll be tearing into the dash to add speaker wires to the rear and hopefully figure out where the problem is for the lighter and cd player and hopefully not have to buy a new one.

Drove the Cruiser to a friend's today and everything was functioning great (minus radio and lighter). Although, I made a really stupid mistake and hope someone can inform me if what I did was critical or not. I was checking 4-hi and since it was push button was not as familiar as I should have been. Everything was fine until I went to un-lock the hubs and take it out. Instead of pushing the 4-hi off and then un-locking, I un-locked then realized my error as I pushed 4-hi off. I did not move until I heard it disengage, went in reverse, the stopped...re-locked...put in 4-hi....moved a bit...then turned it off and un-locked.

I'm so used to having to manually put it out of 4-hi that I forgot about the button when I un-locked the hubs.

edit....after that ordeal and nearly sh%tting myself after doing that everything was fine, just felt like a retard...was waiting for something to explode on my way home.

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
should be good for a laugh Cicak!

edit* I would like to mention my Dad owned a 1983 bj42 in Canada when I was a child and have been searching for a 40 series since. Came across the 70 series almost two years ago (never knew they existed) and switched my tune. Spent a long(ish) time looking for one and hope this thread can maybe help out some individuals who are somewhat mechanically challenged like myself.....

Last edited:
great to see the cruiser and a build thread ! I will be following right along with you. On the stereo you might want to check for a small fuse in the back of it. I had mine stop working when I reconnected my batteries after a charge and it was a small 10amp fuse on the back side of the ratio. (if newer unit).

Is yours 24 volt ?

Plenty of experts here and armchair experts and experts at paying mechanics (me at present) and mechanical experts whom you have already met. Avoid the Redxxxxer guy he a pain haha.

You left out one category.......
People who are not smart enough to realize they are not smart enough......
I fall somewhere near the middle of this category. :)

Most people would kill to have a turbo, looks like a really nice truck. Not to mention the previous owners took good care of her.
You'll love 255/85/16/ (33.5x10) this size is perfect for the truck.
All in time, it's a process.
Congrats

Theirs a good chance a PO has already tied your cigarette lighter into the 12v converter. So if you dont have power to the cig lighter or the stereo I would check the power to and from the converter first.

Make sure you know what power your cig lighter has before you start plugging in 12v accessories.

Appreciate all the help and kind words and interest.

It's a 3BII.

The power was 24v and a bit coming from the wire, so it wasn't linked with the converter. The USB/cig lighter adapter I am using is 24v capable.

The fuse on the radio was blown (as yeti had mentioned), have no idea how, but it was. Worked with my neighbour and disabled the aftermarket alarm system and the aftermarket auto-locks. Neither one of them worked properly and it was a bit of a rats nets under the wheel. It still is a rats nest, but was able to remove a few non-sense aftermarket fuses and alarm box/control system. Couldn't get rid of all the wires though b/c was too hard to figure out what went to what...I like everything manual :/

We fed speaker wires to the rear, replaced the 20amp fuse and radio was working like a charm.

Cig lighter had a melted wire, we re-soldered it turned the truck on, put in the usb cig lighter thing...sparks flew when I removed it (light no longer worked on the usb adapter but worked on other vehicles so it wasn't blown)...solder blew. We did it again but soldered more heavily....put the usb thing back in (it is rated for 24v) sparks went out a bit then nothing (I think excess power in the line)...light was still on, working like a charm. So lets hope it doesn't catch on fire, but working great and have turned it on and off a few times.

Drove around town today again...shifts like a tractor...sounds like a tractor...moves like a tractor...I love it.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
Drove around town today again...shifts like a tractor...sounds like a tractor...moves like a tractor...I love it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda cool ain't it. :D

One of the first things I did was mount a fire extinguisher on the driver seat frame just in case... 24 volts seems like much more juice to mess with and melt wires... post vid of turbo sound... Also what is your top speed so far ? in MPH. I want to compare to a non-turbo BJ73.

One of the first things I did was mount a fire extinguisher on the driver seat frame just in case... 24 volts seems like much more juice to mess with and melt wires... post vid of turbo sound... Also what is your top speed so far ? in MPH. I want to compare to a non-turbo BJ73.

They go the same speed one just gets there quicker

Haven't had it up that fast...cruise around town roughly 50-60mph. The turbo is actually pretty quiet, don't really hear it from inside. I'm still getting used to how short 1st and 2nd gears are.

Filled it up to the brim today. Will report back in a couple weeks what kind of MPG I'm getting. Next weekend I'll be attempting to paint most the chrome black. The side mirrors have faded in certain parts and I'm not a chrome kind of guy to begin with.

Hoping to find a way to do it without needing to sand, we shall see.

Last edited:
Has anyone had luck with being able to move their seat back and extra couple/few inches from the stock seat position? Been trying to figure out by googling how to possibly adjust the rails or extend the last click and haven't been able to find anything; not sure if it is even possible.

How freaking tall are you???
I'm 6'7" and don't really have complaints with space, well the back seat would suck.

Are you planning to run with the top on or off for the rest of the summer ? I am still trying to figure out a Bimini top or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom