1984 BJ42 Story and Modifications - 3B to 15BFT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A second aside from the engine work...

Now that the rear FF axle has been serviced, 3.73:1 gears and ARB locker installed, I needed to work on doing the same to the front differential.

Bill was coming back to TX in the next few days, so I worked on tackling the front axle work before he got there. Took advantage of Galen's lift being empty at the moment so pushed the 42 in there.

194.jpg
195.jpg
197.jpg
198.jpg
200.jpg

Representing Valley Hybrids on the last photo!!! @orangefj45 :cool: (T-shirt borrowed from Galen's stash @bottombracket)

It seems that the front inner axle shaft seals failed A LONG time ago on this BJ42 and the whole 3rd member was packed with grease. It was a big mess in there. Good thing we opened it up to check everything out.

I had ordered some seals and bearings from Georg, but I didn't order the trunnion (knuckle) bearings, hub seals, or the inner axle seals. :doh:

Called Alvaro @aljollano and he had some extra seals on hand, so took a quick trip to AJ Yotas to get these parts from Alvaro. Thanks, Alvaro!!!

184.jpg

Cleaned the whole mess and reassembled the front axle with the new/used 3rd member with 3.73:1 gears and ARB locker that came out of the 60-series FF axle I had bought from my friend Eric. Also, per Georg's recommendation, we installed 60-series knuckle steering arms as they are beefier and take a stronger tie-rod end. More on that later.

202.jpg

206.jpg

207.jpg

209.jpg

I would imagine the glow plugs to glow screen should be fairly plug and play. The glow system should have a fairly hefty relay. I am planning to use the EDIC circuit to energize the VSV valve to shut down the engine. (I haven't gotten that far yet and it might not be as simple as I think haha)
Slightly different on the glow systems, the glow screen is a 2 stage system. I think I'll run with the single stage from the 3B and see how it goes - we only get down to -8*C or so, so not really cold compared to some of the US temperatures, and hopefully a direct injection diesel will be happier without as much glow time.

On the VSV, I'm going to pick up the feed from the EDIC circuit in much the same as you're thinking... I just need to get my backside into gear on this; I just remembered I have a radiator to pick up from someone's house... and that I really need to do the seat frames so the upholstery guy can finish (I'll go pay him today as he's only a one-man band either way).

Wow!!! Looking so good! You always do your builds so clean and well thought out!! Keep up the amazing work Alberto!!!

Now moving to the Intercooler work. This truck is 24V (at least for now), so I want to retain both batteries in the engine bay, even if I eventually convert it to 12V.

As most of you might know, the fan shroud of the 3B's are like a mile long. Eventually, I hope to add Air Conditioning to this 42, so I wanted to move the radiator back a little to create some space for both, the intercooler and the AC condenser.

172.jpg

I talked to Bill @bkcruiser about some ideas to move the radiator back and he came up with an elegant solution to this. He fabricated a metal bracket that extends the lower feet of the radiator support on the frame. I would later drill the two new holes to move the radiator back as much as I needed. We will grind and clean the feet once all the fabrication is done, but for now we are worrying about fitment of all the components the way they are intended.

170.jpg

I had suggestions of moving both batteries inside the cab, maybe keeping one in the engine bay and one in the cab or moving them under the frame. I wanted to keep both batteries as Toyota intended so both battery trays needed to be modified.

We had multiple options for intercooler selection. We considered different size intercoolers and tried to fit a couple of different ones. We ended up following the recommendations of my good friend Ofer @ofer bruhis on an intercooler that he had used on his green HDJ40 build (Kermit), which I want to believe is a twin relative of this build (though Kermit is MUCH nicer than this one) :cheers:

We purchased the intercooler core from a place called First Place Autoparts. When we got the Intercooler, we noticed that it came directly from Holley. The intercooler is 11"x12"x3" in size with a 2.5" inlet and outlet, PN FRO-FB600B. I ordered the black version so it wouldn't be too "in-your-face" kind of setup.

Took a screenshot of where we ordered from, just in case the link gets broken in the future, and attached the link also for reference:

224.JPG

Frostbite Air to Air Intercooler Universal 11"x12"x3" Core w/2.5" In/Out, Black - (FRO-FB600B) - https://fpautoparts.com/Performance/Frostbite-Air-To-Air-Intercooler-FRO-FB600B

Just for reference, the turbo outlet and the engine intake on my 15BFT are both 2" in diameter. All the piping and hoses will be 2" in diameter, so I ordered a 2.5" to 2" 90-degree elbows to exit the intercooler and go into the piping itself. I ordered these elbows from Amazon.

The battery tray on the Left-Hand side of the 42 was the hardest to work on. This battery tray needed to be modified to allow for both, the intercooler pipe and the steering shaft from the firewall to the steering box to run under the tray. Once again, I talked to Bill about some ideas I had and he came up with a plan to make all this happen. As the batteries are typically heavy, and they carry a lot of mass, we decided to overbuild the battery trays they way Toyota did it originally on these trucks.

All the fabrication work will be taken apart, cleaned, painted, and reinstalled once the truck is running and we know everything is working and the way its supposed to be.

Some photos of the progress just for reference. Notice that I had already cut the radiator fan shroud and moved the radiator back about 1.5" on the photos below. I have to remove the masking tape and paint the shroud, too.

217.jpg

Thank you, Bill @bkcruiser, for all the hard work on this truck. I truly and sincerely appreciate it.

214.jpg

The Right-Hand side battery tray was much easier compared to the Left-Hand one, as it only needed to allow the intercooler pipe to run under it.

215.jpg

And finally, a photo of the intercooler core semi installed. Bill later fabricated an upper and lower mounting bracket to keep everything in place.

213.jpg

I still need to connect the turbo outlet to the intercooler pipe and the intercooler pipe to the engine inlet. Need to find an elegant way to do so. Also, eventually an AC condenser will live between the radiator and the intercooler (there is plenty of space there).

Moving onto the throttle cable connection.

The 3B already had a throttle cable (as opposed to linkage like most 2F powered 40's). This simplified things quite a bit for us. From what I have seen, the 15BFT's have multiple ways of actuate the throttle. This is based on the type of pump that the engine comes with (inline pump versus Bosch type rotary pumps), and there are even differences between the different types of pumps. I have seen inline pumps that have the little female opening for the lead end on a typical Land Cruiser throttle cable, but mine came with a male type connector that wouldn't directly bolt to the throttle cable.

I talked to JimC @FJ40Jim, Brian @gifu, and Roma @roma042987 and they all recommended this little adapter from a company call Lokar. I ordered the adapter from Summit Racing, PN LOK-WCA-1034.

225.JPG

Lokar WCA-1034 Lokar Cable Fittings | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-WCA-1034

And then Bill @bkcruiser fabricated a mounting bracket of the whole throttle cable system:

219.jpg

I am mostly caught up to the progress we have done so far, and I feel that we are close, but still far from firing up the engine. Still have to work on the lower radiator hose, the high-pressure power steering hose, and a fuel return to the main tank.

More to come...

188.jpg

Bill was doing some maintenance on this Buggy and they presented his 42" tires so it became a 42 on 42's :poof:

My mom came down to Texas to visit for a week. I showed her the shop. She said, “This is the coolest truck in here…it’s definitely not yours!”

Nailed it.

IMG_1374.jpeg

Ready yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom