1974 fj40 desmog question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I’m sure the question I’m about to ask has already been answered but sometimes I feel it’s easier to start a thread vs trying to do the research.
So I have a 1974 fj40 with a 75 stock carb and plan on running the AC Delco canister. I was told by Red Line Cruisers that I no longer need the VCV if I was planning on doing a desmog. Is this correct and do I need to run some vacuum lines out of it? I recently bought a refurbished VCV from BTB and need to decide if I should return it or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I’m running a 2f and late 70’s I believe manifold if that makes a difference or not. Thanks

IMG_0512.jpeg

I'm not running the VCV in mine, my setup is a tad different though. I have a non-US spec carb, and the electronic ignition from an 83 60 series.

While looking for information about your issue I ran across this information on manuals and documentation for the Land Cruiser and other models. If you want to know what manuals cover your vehicle you'll want to look at page 13.

Attachments

• Toyota-Service-News-Bulletin-1-April-1981.pdf
    8.3 MB · Views: 46
Mine started out as a 12/74. Still running the 10/73 carb, but now with an early 2F block, late F head, 60 series bigcap dizzy and '69 intake manifold. And stuff.
I got no VCV or nothing. About as desmogged as you can get.
I got one vacuum line, from base of carb to dizzy.
Seems to get along just fine.

20230828_133055.jpg

The vcv acts as a circuit interrupt for functions that are better off run as stand-alone. Add a nipple to the underside of your air cleaner to channel the fumes from your charcoal canister, route the vacuum advance port on the dizzy directly to the vacuum advance port on the carb and call it done.

If you are lacking vacuum advance at either end, just cap and be done.

Why a 75 carb?

I'm not running the VCV in mine, my setup is a tad different though. I have a non-US spec carb, and the electronic ignition from an 83 60 series
The vcv acts as a circuit interrupt for functions that are better off run as stand-alone. Add a nipple to the underside of your air cleaner to channel the fumes from your charcoal canister, route the vacuum advance port on the dizzy directly to the vacuum advance port on the carb and call it done.

If you are lacking vacuum advance at either end, just cap and be done.

Why a 75 carb?
I had a trollhole carb and ended up buying the 75 carb from a local member. What year carb would you recommend?

I always prefer a mechanical secondary over a vacuum one. There are several dozen threads on the paper clip test that demonstrate why.

And more so on a motor that originally had one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom