1973 FJ40 doors don't fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you look and see if you have the short and tall body mounts in the correct locations? I mixed mine up and had a similar issue.
These of the type of body mounts he used . The one in the picture is thick. Then there’s two that are basically half that size that are on some of them. Just noticed he put the one on in the very back towards the back bumper on wrong. It’s two pieces and he’s got the one below the tub mount but then another one above it instead of both below it where it supposed to be. That made me curious as to being level. When I put a level on the back it shows that the back is lower than the front. That would explain why I would have a crack in between the cowl and the front fender up on top. I did not install these so I don’t know which ones go where. Thinking about buying another set so I can make sure the right ones go on the right place.

99F0CEFD-0A97-4835-AB60-9D2BA5D43CC0.jpeg

756930EC-A05C-45B7-AF77-AC9D06B73706.jpeg

8D81CCDC-4516-4B4A-B8E6-8649C85B9299.jpeg

Looks like you know that the problem is with the cowl or tub and not the doors.

For giggles, if you remove all of the hinges (door and body) and “set” the door in the opening, does it come close(r)?

Wondering if that would help you figure out what needs to be cut and adjusted…

Looks like you know that the problem is with the cowl or tub and not the doors.

For giggles, if you remove all of the hinges (door and body) and “set” the door in the opening, does it come close(r)?

Wondering if that would help you figure out what needs to be cut and adjusted…
No I don’t see how the door would. If you look at the measurements I posted yesterday of the door opening between the top and the bottom the bottom is what people are saying it should be around 32 to 32 1/8”and mine on the top is only 31 3/4.

These of the type of body mounts he used . The one in the picture is thick. Then there’s two that are basically half that size that are on some of them. Just noticed he put the one on in the very back towards the back bumper on wrong. It’s two pieces and he’s got the one below the tub mount but then another one above it instead of both below it where it supposed to be. That made me curious as to being level. When I put a level on the back it shows that the back is lower than the front. That would explain why I would have a crack in between the cowl and the front fender up on top. I did not install these so I don’t know which ones go where. Thinking about buying another set so I can make sure the right ones go on the right place.

View attachment 2960992

View attachment 2960993

View attachment 2960994
That rear body mount is actually correct, the other is not based on what the installation instructions call for on a factory truck. Your last photo is of position 5. Your first photo appears to be position 2, which should be one below and one u shaped one above. Position 1 is the only "thick" pad location between frame & body. I just did this installation over the past weekend so it's fresh in my head. Here are the installation instructions:

77FCE2AD-54B9-45C2-A1B5-D9DE12DFBA8E.jpeg

That rear body mount is actually correct, the other is not based on what the installation instructions call for on a factory truck. Your last photo is of position 5. Your first photo appears to be position 2, which should be one below and one u shaped one above. Position 1 is the only "thick" pad location between frame & body. I just did this installation over the past weekend so it's fresh in my head. Here are the installation instructions:

Thanks so much for the pic! I will check it out this weekend.

@BGH1959

Your pics don't really show if the cowl is tilted or the tub. Which pillar is truly vertical, A or B? Which pillar is square with the rocker?
If the A pillar is vertical and square with rocker, you could cut and reweld the B pillar at the rocker.
If the A pillar is vertical but not square with the rocker, you cut both ends of the rocker, re-align both A & B to be square with rocker and reweld.
Both pillars aren’t square. The door on both sides does not fit by about the same amount. It is 3/4 to 1 inch too long on the top. The bottom is correct as far as the measurement.

I would take inspiration from @UZJ40 's approach in his FST bow thread to narrow the top bow. The same approach might work to widen and square up the door opening.

It seems strange that distance at the bottom where all of the connections are is a good fit for the doors but the upper is too narrow (this may be actually good news) This, to me, would make me think that the tub is too high in either the front or the back causing it to fold onto itself. I would suggest adjusting the mounts, maybe with some wood blocks to get it to "flatten" and spread the upper distances apart.

It seems strange that distance at the bottom where all of the connections are is a good fit for the doors but the upper is too narrow (this may be actually good news) This, to me, would make me think that the tub is too high in either the front or the back causing it to fold onto itself. I would suggest adjusting the mounts, maybe with some wood blocks to get it to "flatten" and spread the upper distances apart.
I agree with you. After one person posted earlier about the mounts being installed incorrectly and sending a drawing of the same ones I have I started looking at it and they are definitely installed incorrectly and two of them are even missing. Since I don’t have the parts he did install I went ahead and ordered another one of the same type and hopefully next week I can get that portion of it installed and maybe that’ll straighten out that door opening. Also another person posted recently about the opening not being correct on top and adjusting it. It is already adjusted as far as it can go. If you look at my original pictures it’s also low on the back bottom part of the door and will not clear. That is where I came up with the theory that the cowl or the post is tilted back on top. Because the door does not fit on top and it won’t fit at the very back bottom because it is tilted downward. Someone suggested moving the post until it’s square but this is all welded. I don’t know how you could do that.

You can use a porta power and see if you can slowly open up the upper cowl to door opening. You would need 2 on both sides at the same time. I did this on a tub years ago and it was out by an inch. I simply used the door as my guide, stretch a little, close door, stretch until door closes and gaps are correct. Nothing to lose at this point.

Actually that sounds like a great idea. I’m gonna wait to my new body mounts come in and then loosen everything up and make sure the correct amounts are in the correct place but not tighten anything. That way with those checks
You can use a porta power and see if you can slowly open up the upper cowl to door opening. You would need 2 on both sides at the same time. I did this on a tub years ago and it was out by an inch. I simply used the door as my guide, stretch a little, close door, stretch until door closes and gaps are correct. Nothing to lose at this point.
Actually that sounds like a great ideal. I’m gonna wait until my new body mounts come in and then loosen everything up and make sure the correct mounts are in the correct place but not tighten anything. That way with those jacks I can start to spread it slowly like you say. I don’t understand why I need twoon both sides. Can I get by with just one at the top of each door frame on each side? Remember the spacing on the bottom of both doors is correct.

Personally would use a square and be sure it's the back side that is out of alignment compared to the bottom of the opening. If the is the case would anchor the port-a-power at the lower front corner then figure a to keep it from sliding up at the top. This should keep the front section from moving forward. Last thing you want is to make matters worse.

And hopefully the frame is straigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom