Builds 1972 Camo FJ40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have done a poor job of updating the build thread so I'll try to get caught up. With a house move in Jan. and a large remodel project underway for the past couple of months it has limited our FJ40 project time. However, while I was unable to work on the FJ40 I was able to put together a pretty nice tool roll. It all got started when I saw @Tanker120 thread here. Tanker did a fantastic job on the tool rolls and I was able to order most of the tools online from Japan and other online sources.
tool-roll-large.jpg

In the past couple of weeks we have made some progress. I have a goal to be ready for paint in 2 weeks. Probably very ambitious, but we might as well set a goal...

Entire body has been sanded and primed working on a final sand now.

front_primed_sanded_1.jpg

rear_primed_sanded_1.jpg

dash_door_primed_sanded_1.jpg

I used an etching primer for the tub as we are going to spray tintable Raptor Liner on the tub. You can also see I added some sound deadening strips to the inside of the doors. I decided to try Peel & Seal from Lowe's. It's much more cost effective than using Dyna Mats. Which I have used in the past, honestly I do not believe there is enough difference from a decibal level to pay the extra $$.
bed_etching_prime_sanded_1.jpg

bed_etching_prime_sanded_2.jpg

Thanks Chris, I decided to go with a low gloss color called "Wool Grey", which is similar to "Ares grey". Certain pieces i.e.(bumper, roll bar, brush guard) will be satin black.
Flats,%20Metallic,%2007%20-%20Wool%20Grey,%20600px.jpg

Inspired by one of my favorite Cruisers on the road Sackwear's killer rig (see below). Although they used a Porsche color.
12331461_179751955705640_376588925_n.jpg

Curious, what did you end up doing with the old confer rear seat when you decided to go back to the jump seats? Been looking for one of the old confer rear seats to replace my short jump seats.

John

Thanks for the update,nice to have some old timers to share knowledge and experience.
So,the color is similar to the Icon rigs?

Keep it up!

We were able to spray the tintable Raptor Liner on the tub last week and I am thrilled how it turned out. We are planning to spray the body with paint tomorrow.

raptor-liner-1.jpg

raptor-liner-2.jpg

raptor-liner-3b.jpg

Big milestone today, we finished the makeshift paint booth and was able to spray the FJ40. Could be more happy with the results, thrilled on how it's turning out. The color is exactly what I wanted, low luster, dark grey paint called Wool Grey.

Primed and ready for paint (sorry was shaking with excitement and blurred the image) ;)
fj40-primed-1.jpg

fj40-primed-4.jpg

After several light coats of paint.
fj40-painted-1.jpg

fj40-painted-2.jpg

fj40-painted-3.jpg

fj40-painted-4.jpg

fj40-painted-5.jpg

That would be terrific Jason! At the current rate of speed my body man is going I'll have all of the 45 sheet metal back by then. Not that I will have it assembled by any stretch of the imagination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom