1970 FJ40 restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am in the middle of a frame off rest-o-mod on a 1970 as well. Your attention to detail is amazing! Can't wait to see your finished product!

Stunning attention to detail for sure. OK so where did you source the OEM cloth covered fuel line between the filter and pump?

I got the fuel hose from SOR. I try to source as much stuff as I can from Toyota as I am a Lexus service manager, but it is hit or miss sometimes even on current part numbers.

My Detroit locker showed up so I had hoped to get the rear axle finished up. I discovered that the bearing part numbers that NAPA has listed for FJ differentials are wrong, so I ordered the correct ones from SOR. I also talked to the body shop at work today and discussed paint options (After four years I still have no idea what color I am painting it) I will be sending the body parts out to be stripped soon while I finsh up some details on the chassis.
DSC04749.jpg

(After four years I still have no idea what color I am painting it)

Thats funny as it took me three years also. Every other month it was a different color, flat or metallic, or stock vs. radical. settled on mellow. Great looking build, isnt it nice to start having all your stuff coming back minty clean!!

The original color was Capri Blue. My wife and kids want me to paint it Muleta Red. I like the idea of an olive color, but there is nothing that was available in '70 that I like. I guess what I really have to decide is if I care if it has a "correct" paint color or not.

Last edited:
Very nice work! Talk about the "relentless pursuit of perfection"..... My .02 would be to keep the Cadet Blue. I don't think there are too many in that color:). TLC 4x4 painted one of their resto's (stock no. 10006 on the for sale (sold) list) an olive type Toyota color that was a factory color in Pakistan at the time. Looks sharp. Also, I think my 7/69 is T-1454-2 Muleta Red. I've had trouble finding a good match, and would like to see a sample if you go that route. Good luck with your decision, as I am sure what ever you choose will look great.:cheers:Brendon

At the level of restoration you're at, imo you almost dont have a choice BUT to make it period correct. In my case, an oem was thought of, but desired a little more umph.I am not familiar with Cadet blue, but if its an oem color, it will look beautiful when complete. Whats your projected completion date?

Zags...absolutley amazing work you have done here. I am really loving the zinc hardware. The zinc really sets it off. I believe I have found what I will do when I start replacing hardware.

As for color, I do agree that with the level of resto you are doing you would be doing an injustice not to go with original color. However, you have to ask yourself, "Am I going to sell this 40, or will I keep it forever?". Once you have that answer then and only then will you decide the color. Me...I love blue, but red is nice too. Good luck, and I am really looking forward to this build.

I dont think you HAVE to do anything, but would agree if you've gone 99% oem so far, you might as well finish it this way.

I would choose a stock color available for the year, based on this.

I will add that Cadet Blue is pretty cool color and one that is not seen very often.

:beer:

Back at it after a brief break over the holidays. the body has been to the stripper and is now at the body shop getting a coat of DP50 epoxy primer. I rebuilt the 8274 winch and got it rolling on some used tires until the swampers I want go back into production. I routed the exhaust over the skid plate. Not stock I know, but I just couldn't see running it under.
DSC05090.jpg
DSC05094.jpg

Wow....the zinc plating makes all the difference!! Need some pics from the body shop!

What are you working with - is the body in decent shape now that it's been stripped of all its OEM goodness??

Very impressive work - time well spent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom