1970 FJ40 restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you do your own plating? I would like to see that set up. If not, who did the work for you?

Great looking motor...

Sav On Plating in Phoenix, AZ did the yellow zinc plating for me. Great folks to work with and the price was reasonable.

Damn! You've done a top job on that engine. It looks superb! Looking forward to more pics...:)

Very:cool:, great attention to detail. I look forward to watching your build.

I am still missing one of the main cap shims. If anyone has a junk block laying around, I need one of the little shims that goes between the block and the #2 or #3 main bearing caps on a 1F. It needs to be one marked with .20 I am having a heck of a time finding one.

Great looking engine...I'm looking to get an old F engine running, what did you use to find out where all the hoses, etc go? The F Engine Manual? The pictures are a sure help...

Great looking engine...I'm looking to get an old F engine running, what did you use to find out where all the hoses, etc go? The F Engine Manual? The pictures are a sure help...

Mine was in great original condition so most everything was where it was from the factory. Also there are a lot of good pictures on this website if you search around. SOR's online catalog is helpful also.

Picked up my chassis parts from the powder coater yesterday. Looking forward to a good day in the garage tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks for "giving back" That is truly gonna be a beauty. Im lovin' the confere rack. keep that puppy stock and on, and off the road , for another 40 years!

Nice job so far, amazing detail on the motor, looks great. What made you decide to go with powder coating over paint for the frame and parts?

Nice job so far, amazing detail on the motor, looks great. What made you decide to go with powder coating over paint for the frame and parts?

A couple of reasons. If this were going to be a modified rig where I would be doing a bunch of welding, fab work and grinding on the chassis in the future, I would have gone with paint so it would be easy to remove and touch up. The fact that I was able to drop off a bunch of dirty, rusty parts and go pick up clean, shiney parts with a durable finish for a fairly reasonable price was big selling point for powder coating. Standing in front of the blast cabinet is geting a little old already!

Man , This is like Cruiser Crack !!! Looks Great, Keep posting pics.:smokin::grinpimp:

a few update pics:
I went with 2" lift springs and made some shackles that have a stock look but are 2" longer. The plan is for 34x9.50 SS Swampers. Shocks are OME's painted black. N.O.S.,O.E.M. u-joints :)
DSC04711.jpg
DSC04716.jpg
DSC04717.jpg

A few more:
I love the vintage selectro hubs. They originally came painted black but I took a little creative license. Like everything else, the axles got all new bearings and seals thoughout.
DSC04713.jpg
DSC04719.jpg
DSC04721.jpg

Last edited:
I am currently fighting the exhaust system. The SOR headpipe doesn't want to fit either above or below the skid plate. I know it isn't "correct" for a '70, but I may modify the pipe and the skid plate to run it above.

Last edited:
Beautiful work... subscribed!

Looking forward to the rest of the story...:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom