1970 FJ 40 brakes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have not worked on these brakes for 30 years. So, I decided to fix it. Easy peasy right? I started on the passenger front. I could not get purchase on the adjuster notches with a screwdriver. I took it all apart and freed up the adjusters. I discovered the guy before me did not adjust them at all four years ago. They were all the way in. Thus, the crappy braking! ...facepalm . I put a tiny amount of hihg temp grease on the adjuster plungers and the threads. I massaged a little lanolin onto the rubber boots. It appears the last guy tore both rubber boots.

Try the adjusters again from the outside with a big screwdriver. No dice. So, I adjusted the stars with the drum off. Put the drum on, pushed on the pedal, took it off, put the drum on, rinse repeat. This is working because the drums have less then 100 miles on them, no wear or lip is present.

Anyone have a picture of an adjuster tool that works on these brakes?? I want to make or purchase the tool but, I need to know what I am looking for.

In particular the front top passenger wheel needs a tool that snakes around the steering linkage. I think the tool need to be bent on both axis.

Thanks,
Scot

I'll order that from city racer.

City racer? ........... I tend to avoid them. Why? The search function does not work well. The parts tree search does not allow for finding specific things. Paging through hundreds of items is not for me. None of that would matter if I could simply call them, they do not allow for that. Sometimes I want to have an expert to help me figure it out.

I can not find the rubber dust boots for the wheel cylinders on the city racer website. Anyone know a good source for them or a part number?

I completely rebuilt the wheel cylinders in about 1980. I got all the rubber parts. I honed the bores. I cleaned everything. IT worked great at a minimal expense. I now see replacement cylinders but not parts, are individual parts available today?

I will say that others seem to have great results with City Racer, keep trying as City Racer has really good support and reviews on here, patience is a virtue and especially in the Cruiser world good things come to those who wait. As far as the adjusters go, I too had to remove and service the adjusters to get them moving, FWIW make final adjustments with wheels bolted on as it changes the drum a bit, I adjust til they get a bit hot on the test drive then back off 1 click.

I'll order that from city racer.

City racer? ........... I tend to avoid them. Why? The search function does not work well. The parts tree search does not allow for finding specific things. Paging through hundreds of items is not for me. None of that would matter if I could simply call them, they do not allow for that. Sometimes I want to have an expert to help me figure it out.

I can not find the rubber dust boots for the wheel cylinders on the city racer website. Anyone know a good source for them or a part number?

I completely rebuilt the wheel cylinders in about 1980. I got all the rubber parts. I honed the bores. I cleaned everything. IT worked great at a minimal expense. I now see replacement cylinders but not parts, are individual parts available today?
So, cityracerllc.com. Search "brake". last item on first page, brake adjusting tool. Wow, was that exhausting....:)

You can't expect a boutique parts store like CityRacer to carry everything. So, if you want wheel cylinder soft parts, try Rockauto:

Even a monster outfit like rock auto won't have everything....

Do you really expect anyone to offer all the soft parts for a 53 year-old truck?

Do a Google search for what your looking for and reference city racer in your search.

Like, fj40 brake adjustment tool city racer.

I am not trying to say cityracer is not useful. We are fortunate to have options, don't get me wrong.

I am saying that the search function is frustrating. Adding terms broadens result instead of narrowing it. For instance, I want the rubber boots that cover the adjusters. I search FJ40, wheel cylinder, rubber boots, the result has lots of unrelated parts. Searching just wheel cylinder gives a shorter list instead of longer list.

I am no coder but, I think they need a "bollean" search. Their site searches usually leave me wondering what they actually have. I can not tell if they have many parts. Having to use a google search from the outside to see what have tells me that they need a better system. I can not call and find out, that is a pain.

If use the lists on the left of the page to refine a search it only goes so specific and I still have to sort through pages of stuff.

I bet they have the rubber boots or rubber kits for rebuilding wheel cylinders. I can not tell or call to ask.

I just tried to buy the tool from cityracer. The check out button does nothing. Looks like it requires a smart phone?? I guess I'll make a tool.

Last edited:
Back in the 80's I had a stubby flat blade screw driver that was the perfect adjuster tool. No clue where it went. It had a wide blade that filled the slot so engagement was flawless - the new tool is narrow and slips off the adjuster often. It does work good enough and none of my other brake spoons would fit between the spring and knuckles at every adjuster, PIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom