1970 FJ40, "a diamond in the rust" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I respect your opinion. However, I didn't want a show truck, or a weekend pavement pounder. I wanted a fully functional trail rig that I would drive everyday and had all the amenities of a modern vehicle that I wouldn't be afraid to throw a dead deer in the back of and had the classic styling of a lengendary 4x4. It was either a Land Cruiser or an International Scout.
Remember what Doc Brown said on "back to the future"? "If your going to make a car into a time machine, why not do it with some style?" Well, if your going to build a daily driven trail rig, why not do it with some style? IMHO.

Spot on, i couldn't agree more, except for the binder thing. Theres no styling w/a shoe box on wheels. A scout owner sees another 4x4 & thinks to himself " jeep", a jeep owner sees a scout and thinks to himself "PARTS".

Spot on, i couldn't agree more, except for the binder thing. Theres no styling w/a shoe box on wheels. A scout owner sees another 4x4 & thinks to himself " jeep", a jeep owner sees a scout and thinks to himself "PARTS".

I love those older Scouts, and know of two locally that are in very decent shape for early 60's models...one can only wish to have the space and money to buy all they toys they can dream about...

The one nice thing about 40s, is seeing all the mods people have put together. Yes, I am a purist, but I also understand that when a rig is too far gone, then why not go all out!!! These are our toys, and meant to be enjoyed as we please, and with your toy, you should be able to do exactly what you want, just don't be put off if someone gives you ideas different to your own, in the end, we are all Cruiser enthusiasts :D

Just keep the pics coming :beer:

Recently the ignition coil on my '65 John Deere 110 garden tractor took a dump. I called the parts store a couple days ago and he said he didn't have one in stock but an automobile coil would work and to get one from an auto parts store, they're 1/3 of the cost. So instead I sourced one from the F155 I just pulled out of my Land Cruiser. Now my John Deere has the heart of an FJ. I love it!

"throughout the history of 4x4s only a few earned the right to be called lengendary. The original FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser is one of the few" - TLC Icon
ForumRunner_20110628_164133.jpg
ForumRunner_20110628_164215.jpg

subscribed :popcorn: Don't forget we :clap: pics, good luck :cheers:

If you want inspiration to work on it - check out the Top Gear Season 14 for the South America Special. Once you see that 40 drive through the water while the other 2 vehicles die - you'll be inspired :)

Jonny

Here's how I resolved the dilema to Restore or Restomod. I purchased a piece of mechanical junk 75 FJ40 that had already been modified by the PO. The Body on this one is in very good shape with very little rust. Only problem was the missing interior and Drive Train.

Next I purchased a 78 FJ40 all stock except the stereo, radiator and fan clutch. Only 97K miles rides and drive great. All original interior only need front driver seat restored and a Dash Pad. The problem with this one is the body is very rusted.

I was going to use the Good body from the 75 and mate to the good mechanicals of the 78 but then I thought why not build two. 75 Restomod and 78 restoration.

The hard part is convincing the wife its all necessary to my general well being.

1bad40 said:
I don't know if anyone here will recall or not but a few years ago there was a feature in, I think, Off Road about a green FJ40. If I remember right it was a '74 or '75 built and owned by a guy named Pruitt. Anyway it was a restomod (restored classic with modern technology) he had an Escalade 6.0L, custom dash, autometer gauges, Vintage Air climate control. This thing was BAD. This was my inspiration, I had it pinned up in my garage for a long time. I'm not going to copy Pruitt but I do like the "restomod" idea.

Ok, I couldn't find my original centerfold pin-up of this rig but I googled it. The guys name is Scott Truitt and its a '77. The article was in "Four Wheeler" and it was called "Style Points". This custom FJ40 isn't what started my quest to find a Land Cruiser but it did fuel it. I'm kinda bummed that I lost the article. I used to tell my girlfriend "that's my build blueprint for someday when I get one" though since then Ive had plenty of my own ideas, and taken a few here and there from other rigs. Anyway I just wanted to share the info on this "inspiration" and where you can find it if you're inclined to search. Don't get me wrong, this isn't "The Baddest Rig on Earth" but it is a sweet one. Who knows, Maybe Truitt is a member of 'MUD and he's reading this post.

My long distance provider is Black Hills Ammunition.
129_0907_01_z_1977_toyota_fj40_land_cruiser_front_view.jpg

If you want some more inspiration there's a similar article in the May 2010 Four Wheeler. It has a '64 green FJ40 on the cover. The subject of the article did a similar restomod and it looks amazing. Good luck! :beer:

I know the guy who built it and saw the rig in person. It was sweet. He ended up selling it because it was too nice to wheel.

If this '70 is as original as you say it is, then I would save it, and get a $500 40 to do all the mods you are talking about. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the mods you are talking about, even if I am a purist, but, I have found many beat up 40s that would be far better suited for such mods...one I nearly purchased for $250, and I would try to save/properly restore this 40 in hand!!!

Nice rig...good luck :beer:

Being a purist myself, I used to cringe every time I saw an original cut up, but now I say go for it! I would have passed on this one for a resto., too much rust and too may of the hard to find things missing for a real restoration-restoration. With the supply of first rate survivors and hard to find parts drying up, the prices people are getting for quality restorations is starting to skyrocket. To me that means it is worth investing in a rust free, near 100% complete original to start with for a restoration. JMO

zags said:
I know the guy who built it and saw the rig in person. It was sweet. He ended up selling it because it was too nice to wheel.

I think he sold it because it's a turd wrapped in a flower.

I think he sold it because it's a turd wrapped in a flower.

Actually, he has won at least one Ultra4 championship, a top ten finish in the King Of the Hammers, and is one of the best rock crawlers out there. His idea of wheeling is a little different than most guys on this BB. He has built some killer rigs.

zags said:
Actually, he has won at least one Ultra4 championship, a top ten finish in the King Of the Hammers, and is one of the best rock crawlers out there. His idea of wheeling is a little different than most guys on this BB. He has built some killer rigs.

I don't doubt its prowess or that of its builder but it is farking ugly-especially the dash and Jeep tail lights. Sorry, off topic.

Just to add a different perspective here, since I'm running a bit of a frankentruck myself:

This 40 was sitting and rotting into the ground before the new owner bought it. A few more years, it would have been toast. Anytime I see one of these "parts truck" level rigs get pulled out of their hole in the ground and restored, it makes me happy. Whether there's an F under the hood or not is irrelevant, as prior to the resto it was essentially going to scrap.

While I agree that, after a certain level of modification, you lose some of the "flavor" or character that made a FJ40 a FJ40, but at the end of the day, as long as a lot of body cutting isn't done, you're taking a scrap-heap, vintage truck and returning it to the road in a condition that is vastly improved - it could even be restored to stock by someone else, later, if it suits their fancy, should it ever be sold. The bottom line is, mods or not, you're giving the truck another 40+ year lease on life.

I have driven/ridden in a number of F/2F rigs, mine has an old 283, but is otherwise mostly stock. I can honestly say that the difference is pretty minor. I think putting some modern amenities into this old girl, if the owner wants to do it, is not sacrilege. Plus, his money, his truck, his rules! :cheers:

Good luck with the build!

What part of Michigan are you in? That FJ looks vaguely familiar...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom