1970 FJ40, "a diamond in the rust" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 6 years ago I mentioned something to one of my friends, a Jeep guru, that I wanted a Land Cruiser someday and he said "oh, my uncle has one of those" after trying to buy it for five years the uncle and I became pretty good friends. Finally, on the 6th year I went to see him with $1000 cash in my pocket. I said "are ready to sell that Toyota yet?" He said "what will you give me for it?" I mentioned that I knew he already turned down $750 for it and said "you know, if I don't get a grand for it, the darn thing will just sit there". I pulled the envelope out of my pocket and said "you read my mind".
This all took place last May. This guy bought this thing in 1970, brand new, from Sunshine Toyota in Battle Creek, MI. He drove it for 8 years and parked it in a barn. In the early 90s his son pulled it out to fix it up and drive it. He took some of the trim pieces and lights off and lost interest. When I got it all the stuff that was previously removed was piled in the bed of it.
The fenders, skirts, grill, hood, firewall, windshield, and side doors are great shape. The drivers side floor is gone, tranny hump might be salvageable, both inner & outer rockers are shot as well as both the mid and rear beds. Rear quarters, barn doors, and hatch door are salvageable. I don't have a lot of experience with body work. However, I am a fabricator and a weld line supervisor. I think I can figure it out with a little help from you guys.
I don't know if anyone here will recall or not but a few years ago there was a feature in, I think, Off Road about a green FJ40. If I remember right it was a '74 or '75 built and owned by a guy named Pruitt. Anyway it was a restomod (restored classic with modern technology) he had an Escalade 6.0L, custom dash, autometer gauges, Vintage Air climate control. This thing was BAD. This was my inspiration, I had it pinned up in my garage for a long time. I'm not going to copy Pruitt but I do like the "restomod" idea. I obtained an LT1 5.7L from a '95 Camaro to put it in, going with the 4L60E 4sp automatic, Art Carr shifter, custom dash, Vintage Air, roll cage, bullet proof bumpers, sliders, SOA, etc. We'll see how much changes as the build goes on.

"throughout the history of 4x4s only a few earned the right to be called lengendary. The original FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser is one of the few" - TLC Icon
ForumRunner_20110624_101407.jpg
ForumRunner_20110624_101420.jpg
ForumRunner_20110624_101506.jpg

Just think... by the time your done you won't even have a landcruiser anymore - IMHO

I think the engine swap ruins the integrity of the legend. Again, just my opinion.

Good luck with your resto-mod. I am in the early stages of a frame up '78 40 build, staying original, Thought about a tranny upgrade to the 55. Even that was dashed when I thought about the integrity of what I have.... Fun FUn FUN, but alot of work.

If this '70 is as original as you say it is, then I would save it, and get a $500 40 to do all the mods you are talking about. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the mods you are talking about, even if I am a purist, but, I have found many beat up 40s that would be far better suited for such mods...one I nearly purchased for $250, and I would try to save/properly restore this 40 in hand!!!

Nice rig...good luck :beer:

It appears it was used as a plow vehicle at one time. Looks like you have a project with a plan. Looking forward to seeing the build thread. Oh and the second picture reminds me of when ever I haul one of these home. That would be my wife saying so what are you going to do with this pice of junk. She not a big fan of my early cruiser. But she is a good woman for putting up with me when you consider howm many I've haul home.:rolleyes:

:cheers:
John

After getting it home I washed it, unloaded it, and began stripping it. I got the front clip off, the top removed, and the interior gutted. Losing sight of my plan and coming up with lame excuses not to work on it like "I don't have the right tools" I pushed it aside after just a couple weeks.

"throughout the history of 4x4s only a few earned the right to be called lengendary. The original FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser is one of the few" - TLC Icon
ForumRunner_20110624_105349.jpg
ForumRunner_20110624_105417.jpg
ForumRunner_20110624_105441.jpg
ForumRunner_20110624_105458.jpg

I just joined this forum a few days ago and reading your posts and replys got the wheels turning again. So I cleaned up the garage and got the Toyota back out away from the wall where I can work on it. Just in the last 2 evenings after work and before supper I got the drivetrain swinging. I need to get the transmission Im going to use so I can get the new drivetrain mocked up before I pull the tub off. Also, I think I need to obtain the power steering system and mock that up as well before I remove my original steering column.
I've never done this before so if anyone sees me doing something in the wrong order catch me and set me straight. I do have a little common sense, just no experience.

Looks great ,cant wait to see it finished, have fun. Mike

Remember the "lame excuses" one of the reasons I stopped working on it was because I don't have a cherry picker to pull the drivetrain with. As a matter of fact this isn't even my chain fall, I borrowed it, but it got the job done.
Time to practice what I preach. I tell my welders at work not to say "cant" I don't want to hear "cant" I want to hear "I'm trying". "Cant" never got anything done.

ForumRunner_20110624_111040.jpg
ForumRunner_20110624_111100.jpg
ForumRunner_20110624_111123.jpg

my old man used to say "can't never could do nothing!"

i can still hear him telling me that whether it was riding a bike or catching a baseball... ok enough memory lane!

78GroundUp said:
Just think... by the time your done you won't even have a landcruiser anymore - IMHO

I think the engine swap ruins the integrity of the legend. Again, just my opinion.

I respect your opinion. However, I didn't want a show truck, or a weekend pavement pounder. I wanted a fully functional trail rig that I would drive everyday and had all the amenities of a modern vehicle that I wouldn't be afraid to throw a dead deer in the back of and had the classic styling of a lengendary 4x4. It was either a Land Cruiser or an International Scout.
Remember what Doc Brown said on "back to the future"? "If your going to make a car into a time machine, why not do it with some style?" Well, if your going to build a daily driven trail rig, why not do it with some style? IMHO.

I don't know if anyone here will recall or not but a few years ago there was a feature in, I think, Off Road about a green FJ40. If I remember right it was a '74 or '75 built and owned by a guy named Pruitt. Anyway it was a restomod (restored classic with modern technology) he had an Escalade 6.0L, custom dash, autometer gauges, Vintage Air climate control. This thing was BAD. This was my inspiration, I had it pinned up in my garage for a long time. I'm not going to copy Pruitt but I do like the "restomod" idea.

If you want some more inspiration there's a similar article in the May 2010 Four Wheeler. It has a '64 green FJ40 on the cover. The subject of the article did a similar restomod and it looks amazing. Good luck! :beer:

Keep up the good work! I don't have a problem at all with "modernizing" a $1000 truck unless it was 99% rust free with complete interior, etc etc.
From the looks of it you have a major project in store and doing some of the mods your planning not only improves the function but probably cost less.

Good luck and remember .... we love pictures!!!

:beer:

Looks like you've got a plan in mind for what you want, hope it comes to fruition. On one hand I agree with what others have said about keeping it stock since it is still in stock form after all these years, but OTOH you bought it you do what you want with it. And for $1000, heck around here you can hardly buy a rolling chassis with a partial body on it for that cheap.

BTW, if you want to have a quote every post you make you can set up your signature line under the "User CP" link.

:popcorn: Subscribed.

I'm about to pick up welding.. so please sprinkle in some welding tips/tutorials for the 1-:banana: welder.

If you want some more inspiration there's a similar article in the May 2010 Four Wheeler. It has a '64 green FJ40 on the cover. The subject of the article did a similar restomod and it looks amazing. Good luck! :beer:

That mag has been sitting on my end table for months. No one dares touch it either. :D

This sounds like a cool project and thanks for sharing it with us. Whether you go resto/mod or classic resto, there will be plenty others can learn and be entertained with.

ticket stamped :popcorn:

Pulso said:

I have that issue as well, it is a nice rig but his roll cage is a little...how should I put it...."chinsy". Judging by the sharpness of the radius in the bend it couldn't be made of anything very thick or it would have kinked. I would guess it's probably 14 ga. I'm going with 11 ga and using alot more of it...some day
But first, how the f@#% do I get the tranny off of the engine? I've tried in front of the bell housing AND behind it. I can wiggle the tranny back and forth on the bell housing but it wont come back at all, and I can't even budge the bell housing from the motor. I got the 2 top bolts and 2 up underneath on the inside, what else is holding this bugger together?

ForumRunner_20110624_175141.jpg

hiya,

I bet the pilot bearing has seized onto the input shaft of the tranny & is preventing it from separating. You may try to take the flywheel cover off the bottom & pull off the clutch & its bolts one at a time by rotating the engine, then doing the same to get the flywheel off. I had this same problem on a old 2F & it took me a better part of the afternoon pulling (even winching) to separate a tranny from the engine with a frozen pilot bearing.

I think you have to remove the flywheel before you get to the bolts for the bellhousing to engine.

Good luck, ty :beer:

tyama said:
hiya,

I bet the pilot bearing has seized onto the input shaft of the tranny & is preventing it from separating. You may try to take the flywheel cover off the bottom & pull off the clutch & its bolts one at a time by rotating the engine, then doing the same to get the flywheel off. I had this same problem on a old 2F & it took me a better part of the afternoon pulling (even winching) to separate a tranny from the engine with a frozen pilot bearing.

I think you have to remove the flywheel before you get to the bolts for the bellhousing to engine.

Good luck, ty :beer:

Aww man! Don't say that! Did I mention that the motor is locked up? I really didn't want to mess with freeing it up. Maybe I'll just pull the transfer case and scrap the rest. The purists are really starting to dislike me.

I think a large number of people here on Mud would probably disagree.. If you are into restoring a 1970 museum piece, that has little practical use as a DD, then by all means stay with stock. Otherwise, do what you want! These are the most over-produced, over-customized, over-dismantled, over-loved, over-cursed vehicles on the planet!

Ironic, that this "legendary" quote is attributed to TLC Icon.. the mother of all mods, engine swaps, and assaults on the "integrity" of the FJ40..
IMG_3471.jpg

All this lack of integrity FJ40 goodness can be yours for only $105-170K! :eek:

Here's my non-numbers-matching bastard mutt rig..
608420680_gDwMo-M-1.jpg

1971 FJ40, Chrysler Chili-Pepper Red, Frame is 1966, SBC350, TH400, DanaSpicer20 XFer Case, Wilwood Hi-Performance Front Disc brakes, Fold-n-Tumble Rear Bench, Toyo Open Country MT 33x12.5x15s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom