1970 FJ40 3 on the tree, Clutch problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 fj40 and a few weeks back I went to drive it and found that when I let the clutch out the car would not move. I was able to change gears but that did not matter, no matter what gear I was in the car would not move. I thought something withing the clutch mechanism had failed, so I ordered a clutch kit and dropped the transmission. The clutch disc was extremely worn, and the flywheel had multiple cracks and some heat damage. the clutch fork and throwout bearing were still connected and not damaged. I pulled off the clutch and sent the flywheel to get resurfaced. Is it possible that the car was not moving due to an extremely damaged clutch? I am concerned that the internals of the transmission are damaged however, I am able to shift gears and I can turn the input shaft and the output shaft does turn, even when giving it resistance. I also suspected the differential but I can turn the driveshaft flange and it turns both wheels. Am I missing something? or is it most likely just a bad clutch?

Thank You.

Just to be complete you do have the transfer case in something other then neutral?

I have a 1970 fj40 and a few weeks back I went to drive it and found that when I let the clutch out the car would not move. I was able to change gears but that did not matter, no matter what gear I was in the car would not move. I thought something withing the clutch mechanism had failed, so I ordered a clutch kit and dropped the transmission. The clutch disc was extremely worn, and the flywheel had multiple cracks and some heat damage. the clutch fork and throwout bearing were still connected and not damaged. I pulled off the clutch and sent the flywheel to get resurfaced. Is it possible that the car was not moving due to an extremely damaged clutch? I am concerned that the internals of the transmission are damaged however, I am able to shift gears and I can turn the input shaft and the output shaft does turn, even when giving it resistance. I also suspected the differential but I can turn the driveshaft flange and it turns both wheels. Am I missing something? or is it most likely just a bad clutch?

Thank You.

Would have to say yes it's possible for a clutch could be so bad a vehicle wouldn't move. My son did it to my 68. Not sure how but he did it but it wouldn't move. He had been the only one driving it for a while and not sure how it acted up to the point where it's would move. Would find it hard to believe there wasn't a sign of slipping ahead of time.

Just to be complete you do have the transfer case in something other then neutral?
The transfer case is in its normal operating position, (Not in low range). My best guess right now is that it is just an extremely worn clutch, but am looking for any other possibilities.

Thanks.

Would have to say yes it's possible for a clutch could be so bad a vehicle wouldn't move. My son did it to my 68. Not sure how but he did it but it wouldn't move. He had been the only one driving it for a while and not sure how it acted up to the point where it's would move. Would find it hard to believe there wasn't a sign of slipping ahead of time.
[/QUOTE
I have had the car for about a year, and ever since I had it it has needed a lot of RPMs to start out in first gear. It has also had a slight chatter that vibrates the car in some instances. I am hoping that this was just the clutch failing and finally giving up. But I am tying to figure out if there is anything I am overlooking, I would hate to put in a new clutch and pressure plate and have it not be the problem.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

The transfer case is in its normal operating position, (Not in low range). My best guess right now is that it is just an extremely worn clutch, but am looking for any other possibilities.

Thanks.

Besides low range the transfer case as has a neutral position. My question is have you pulled lever and feel go into low range? You can feel when it's goes into low range, neutral and high range. I would verify the transfer case is in gear %100 before tearing into the clutch.

Besides low range the transfer case as has a neutral position. My question is have you pulled lever and feel go into low range? You can feel when it's goes into low range, neutral and high range. I would verify the transfer case is in gear %100 before tearing into the clutch.
Thanks, as far as I know it was in high range. I didn't think of that while it was still connected.

Yes, I would suspect that the transfer case lever somehow got in neutral if you could get absolutely nothing remotely trying to move the vehicle in any gear. Seems even a really bad clutch would at least move the vehicle a bit. Anyway, if you have it apart might as well replace all clutch parts and be good as new!

I bought a Landcruiser once, about 30 years ago, with that symptom. Went to the guy’s house with a towbar ready to flat tow it, then on a hunch got under the truck and shifted it back into gear.
Less than a mile from his house I could tell WHY it popped out of gear, and I quickly made arrangements to drop it at a friend’s house nearby rather than drive it 10 miles back to my place.

Pull the top cover off the tcase; chances are your hi-lo fork and collar are both shot.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, I got it all back together. seems to be driving great. I replaced the clutch and tested the transmission, by giving the input shaft force and resisting the output shaft. I think it was just a very bad clutch. it is driving better than it has in the last 12 months. My best guess is that when I got it, the car already had a very bad clutch and I had no reference for how the clutch should be performing. I am able to change between low range and high range, and can the clutch is grabbing a lot closer to the firewall.

once again thanks for all the help.

Thanks for all the help, I got it all back together. seems to be driving great. I replaced the clutch and tested the transmission, by giving the input shaft force and resisting the output shaft. I think it was just a very bad clutch. it is driving better than it has in the last 12 months. My best guess is that when I got it, the car already had a very bad clutch and I had no reference for how the clutch should be performing. I am able to change between low range and high range, and can the clutch is grabbing a lot closer to the firewall.

once again thanks for all the help.
Great news!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom