1966 FJ45V build thread...this may take a while.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stellar workmanship! Very inspiring!
This looks like a hot rod shop of sorts. Can you tell us more about the shop doing the work?
Also, looks like a 35/36 Ford coupe off to the side there. Not sure if it’s a 3 window or a 5 window.

Stellar workmanship! Very inspiring!
This looks like a hot rod shop of sorts. Can you tell us more about the shop doing the work?
Also, looks like a 35/36 Ford coupe off to the side there. Not sure if it’s a 3 window or a 5 window.
Yes, he (they) do great work. If he is not happy with something he (Rod) will re-do it; sets hi standards for his work. His business is: Rodders Restoration and Custom Fabrication. They have a few Hot Rods and customs there, that's mostly what they do, but they take on anything interesting really. Think that was a 5 window it was only there a short time, and when i was there i couldn't take my eyes off the V. They also do Paint work and interior.

Time for the A Pillars. Another can of worms $. Some strengthening, rustproofing and repairing the left cover piece. (These pics were before the install of the new top of windshield frame) The right hand one will be completely re made with a new pipe for the interior light wiring into the roof

thev85.JPG

thev84.JPG

thev95.JPG

thev124.JPG

thev122.JPG

Last edited:
It's great to see this type of work on a wagon. Interesting seeing the different layers and how they are constructed.
thanks, yes have gone all-in on this one. Had to sell my HJ47 Troopy to keep the funds coming in. Rod is building it a bit stronger too. They really are nicely put together; would love to have seen it all in action, back when.

It was a scary look to see the right A pillar gone; very happy with how it came out:) Didnt expect to have to do this much work on the A pillars but it would have been a short cut and a compromise to leave them.

thev133.jpg

thev136.jpg

thev139.jpg

thev138.jpg

thev137.jpg

This is simply amazing work. Is it a lot of English wheel work on those contoured pieces or some sort of super-human press thingy?😆

This is simply amazing work. Is it a lot of English wheel work on those contoured pieces or some sort of super-human press thingy?😆
I think its English wheel and different press(s) with various custom dies and by hand. He makes his own custom tools.

This guy is a true artist.

working down the right side now, also a complete new section above cargo side window. Cant wait to see the outer sections of the roof welded to the existing part. Think i will have my own Roof Party when its done; it's going to be a big milestone for this 45V.

thev119.JPG

thev117.JPG

thev118.JPG

thev123.JPG

I assume this work is not being done in real time. IE your fabricator has not done all of this work in 2 weeks. How many hours does he have into this so far?

I assume this work is not being done in real time. IE your fabricator has not done all of this work in 2 weeks. How many hours does he have into this so far?
Yes, your right, he's not THAT fast. I have almost caught up to real time. The work has been done over the last eight weeks. I dont know how many hours, i would have to get the calculator out and tally the invoices. I'm trying not to look at the overall cost at the moment. I suppose once the roof is finished i will work it out.

A few shots of the LHS roof skin coming together. First one after welding and shrinking. After the RHS is welded in he will complete any shrinkage required around the whole roof perimeter. Hope to have completed shots of the roof next week.

thev40.jpg

thev130.JPG

thev129.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom