1966 FJ45V build thread...this may take a while.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still waiting on some final roof shrinkage do be done over the Christmas break when the workshop is quiet:) In the meantime some tailgate sill mount rebuilding/remaking

thev140.jpg

thev141.jpg

thev142.jpg

Some more done on passenger rear quarter, made new corner and ribbed section using the folder and heat shrinking the ends. will also replace a body mount outrigger and internal corner curved section and rustproof behind. We will repeat this process on the other side; although the other side is in much better shape. Bit more to do before final weld up.

thev145.jpeg

thev147.jpeg

thev148.jpeg

thev149.jpeg

good to see the work is progressing along. Do you have a time frame for completion?
I hope i can have it done by the end of this year; if my finances can cope...but i'm not gonna rush it

I know its a bit boring at this stage;
I guess since i could never replicate the work that is being done, i am amazed rather than bored. Keep up the updates so all of us normal humans can be enlightened with the work of this fabricator. Not sure of your budget, but this seems very thorough and one hell of a restoration. I am thinking @scoobiedubes might want to send his 28 over to your fabricator. Long expensive journey but may well be worth it for the type of rig he has. Then again, he may have his own fabricator that can match this level of work.

Thanks 63cruiser. Yes it has to be thorough unfortunately, as i don't want any surprises popping out of the paintwork in a couple of years; as its going to be a keeper. As for the budget? It has almost been reached already. So i am going to have to sell a couple more Cruisers to keep it going:( With the exchange rate at the moment @scoobiedubes almost could send it over..

This internal structural repair stuff IS the sexy stuff.

Hurry up I am anxious to hear how the FA truck setup runs ;)
Literally; every day i think of, for and against between F135/3spd to 1HZ/5spd. It is far and away the hardest decision to make in the build; as i want to drive it as my daily to justify the money put into it, and not have it sitting in the shed for most days of the month... just having trouble convincing myself (as much as i want to) that the F135/3spd combo will be up to the task..

Literally; every day i think of, for and against between F135/3spd to 1HZ/5spd. It is far and away the hardest decision to make in the build; as i want to drive it as my daily to justify the money put into it, and not have it sitting in the shed for most days of the month... just having trouble convincing myself (as much as i want to) that the F135/3spd combo will be up to the task..
Maybe your best bet would be to keep the F135/3sp... on a shelf in your garage and put it back in someday if/when you decide to sell it. Hopefully that’s never!

in the meantime do whatever you want to make it a daily driver. Important thing is that you can take it back to original at any time.

Last edited:
I vote for the F135/3spd.

If you want to have a daily driver, go with the 1HZ/5speed. The 135/3speed is what it is and that is not a daily driver on today’s roads. You will be much happier and drive it much more if you upgrade the drive train. I enjoy driving my LV because it drives well. It is great to look at and nice that it gets a lot of compliments but I still need to get from point A to point B in reasonable time, safety and security. Just make it so it can be undone with minimal effort and then drive to your hearts and ass’s content!!

The 1HZ is the front runner at the moment ( that might change again). I am a bit concerned about having to remove the original chassis mounts though; which i'm told i need to do, to fit the new 1HZ mounts.
Just got a couple more update pics this morning..

thev156.jpeg

thev157.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom