Builds 1965 FJ40, What Have I Gotten Myself Into? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The wipers were the last part of the electrical equation that I wanted to get together before I installed the seats. And man does everything look sharp together.

1623532721900.png

1623532736016.png

1623532756766.png

I have a small laundry list of things left to complete but it is just about time to put some gas in the tank and retune the engine. Stay tuned for more... get it. tuned for more... sorry, I'll get back to work now.

Looking great!

One of the laundry list items was a new exhaust. The previous one was missing the tail pipe and the muffler was rusted to the point where it wasn't doing much muffling. I ordered a new kit from SOR... pretty expensive but it saved me the hassle of getting a shop to custom bend one. Plus it came with this sweet exhaust hanger.
1628601838643.png

I also put gas in the tank and tuned the starter... For some reason or another, I am not getting gas to the carb. I am not sure if it is my fuel pump or a clogged filter. I ordered a new filter to try that first then will probably purchase a new fuel pump if that doesn't solve it.

One of the laundry list items was a new exhaust. The previous one was missing the tail pipe and the muffler was rusted to the point where it wasn't doing much muffling. I ordered a new kit from SOR... pretty expensive but it saved me the hassle of getting a shop to custom bend one. Plus it came with this sweet exhaust hanger.
View attachment 2755175

I also put gas in the tank and tuned the starter... For some reason or another, I am not getting gas to the carb. I am not sure if it is my fuel pump or a clogged filter. I ordered a new filter to try that first then will probably purchase a new fuel pump if that doesn't solve it.
You may have to prime the pump if the fuel lines and pump have been empty for a while (or if they're all new).

Lightly pressurize the tank with shop air!
Emphasis on lightly. Like only 1 or 2 psi. I think you want to do this while cranking it over, once the pump gets fuel itll start drawing from the tank as long as all your fuel lines are good and the pump cant suck any air in.

Well success! I was hesitant about pressurizing my fuel tank with air so I went with suction. I purchased some 20ml syringes and pulled the gas through the gas line and filter. I then used the syringe to pump the gas line after the fuel pump full of fuel. After about 15 seconds of cranking, the fuel bowl filled up and some puttering occurred.

I tried adjusting my distributor to advance the timing except it couldn't turn anymore due to interference with the oil dip stick.
1628971443662.png

I then asked the great mud members if it could be off a tooth and the consensus was, "it could be". So I pulled the distributor out a couple inches, rotated then inserted it again. Being careful to ensure that the distributor was fully seated. I cranked a few more times and nothing... So I rotated the distributor back to how it was, and.... nothing.

I eventually decided it was best to start from square one. Follow the timing instructions for installing a new distributor. I found TDC, via the fly wheel and a screwdriver in cylinder one. Lined up the oil pump slot. Then reinserted the dizzy pointing at the number 1 timing mark. Again making sure that the distributor seated all the way. I cranked some more, and nothing.

Frustrated and mad, I took a break and drank a beer. Coming back with a clearish head, I went into diagnosing mode. What does an engine need? Air, fuel, and a spark. I had air. I had fuel, but I wasn't sure of the spark. So I pulled the number one spark plug out, tested it the old fashioned way of placing it up against a grounded metal piece. And boom, That beautiful blue spark was alive! So I had everything. Now why wasn't it starting? I cranked it over a few more times then heard a faint put put put. The engine was trying. I adjusted the distributor a little more, and that did the trick! The engine was alive!

Next up, finish tuning the engine to the proper RPM, a few more small electrical details to take care of, re install new drive shaft bolts, then take it for a test drive. Oh and finish up the half doors, get those painted and installed.

The light is even closer!

Well success! I was hesitant about pressurizing my fuel tank with air so I went with suction. I purchased some 20ml syringes and pulled the gas through the gas line and filter. I then used the syringe to pump the gas line after the fuel pump full of fuel. After about 15 seconds of cranking, the fuel bowl filled up and some puttering occurred.

I tried adjusting my distributor to advance the timing except it couldn't turn anymore due to interference with the oil dip stick.
View attachment 2758833

I then asked the great mud members if it could be off a tooth and the consensus was, "it could be". So I pulled the distributor out a couple inches, rotated then inserted it again. Being careful to ensure that the distributor was fully seated. I cranked a few more times and nothing... So I rotated the distributor back to how it was, and.... nothing.

I eventually decided it was best to start from square one. Follow the timing instructions for installing a new distributor. I found TDC, via the fly wheel and a screwdriver in cylinder one. Lined up the oil pump slot. Then reinserted the dizzy pointing at the number 1 timing mark. Again making sure that the distributor seated all the way. I cranked some more, and nothing.

Frustrated and mad, I took a break and drank a beer. Coming back with a clearish head, I went into diagnosing mode. What does an engine need? Air, fuel, and a spark. I had air. I had fuel, but I wasn't sure of the spark. So I pulled the number one spark plug out, tested it the old fashioned way of placing it up against a grounded metal piece. And boom, That beautiful blue spark was alive! So I had everything. Now why wasn't it starting? I cranked it over a few more times then heard a faint put put put. The engine was trying. I adjusted the distributor a little more, and that did the trick! The engine was alive!

Next up, finish tuning the engine to the proper RPM, a few more small electrical details to take care of, re install new drive shaft bolts, then take it for a test drive. Oh and finish up the half doors, get those painted and installed.

The light is even closer!
I had issues with my dizzy in my 65 FJ40 and it was my “octane selector” dial on the dizzy that was all messed up. Once I screwed it back to factory setting I could get the dizzy rotated correctly (without hitting the oil filler) . Mine was also 180 degrees off :p

Well the engine is just about tuned. I fixed an exhaust leak at the manifold and I need to charge up the battery before it's first test drive. That and the rain needs to stop raining. It has been going on for 3 days and will probably continue for another few. I enjoy the rain so I can't complain too much but it is delaying the test drive.

I also replaced the drive shaft bolts and did a poor mans alignment at home. Hopefully between that and the upgraded 4 degree caster plates, everything should be good to go.

1633548549721.png

I did notice that I hooked up one of the rear lights incorrectly so when I press on the brake light, the turn signal also goes on. Need to fix that before I actually drive it on the streets. I also need to install the vader light and switch to button up the electrical system.

The horn button was installed except for the horn brush. I need to source one of those so If anyone has one, I would gladly pay handsomely for it.

1633548811461.png

It is looking more and more likely that ol' Flora Jean will be ready for the wedding in November!

After the wedding, I plan on having full hard doors painted up along with the bows and softtop installed. I just don't have the time or money at the moment to get those done. I also plan to install a small radio and kick vent speakers to add some tunes.

Thanks for reading.

After an almost 4 year build, Things are coming to an end. I still have to get the soft top and doors on. I also have to build a rear tire carrier and a few other misc stuff. However I could not have gotten where it is now without this awesome community. Y'all have been with me every step of the way giving advice and help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this mud family.

@Krondor Truck looks absolutely stellar, the stance is perfect! Great work, must be super rewarding.

I noticed the angle on the rear shackles (they almost look like they are pointed toward the front of the truck but I suspect that isn't the case), and have to think that the rear springs won't compress much more with the lack of mass in your soft top. Will you be installing a rear spare tire carrier? If you find it rides really rough, may want to consider removing a leaf from each of the rear packs to try to achieve a better shackle angle at ride height.

@EWheeler I appreciate the kind words. It is really rewarding.

You are absolutely correct about the rear shackles. They are pretty much vertical since I don't have the weight of a hard top on it. I am planning on making a bumper/tire carrier which should hopefully correct the angle. If not, your idea of removing a leaf spring from the rear packs is a great option.

After an almost 4 year build, Things are coming to an end. I still have to get the soft top and doors on. I also have to build a rear tire carrier and a few other misc stuff. However I could not have gotten where it is now without this awesome community. Y'all have been with me every step of the way giving advice and help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this mud family.
It’s a two-way street: you have contributed to the community as well, having taken the plunge into reproducing some hard to find parts not only for yourself, but for others. 😊

BTW, your truck is gorgeous…except for those ubolts hanging down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom