Builds 1965 FJ40, What Have I Gotten Myself Into? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It almost hurt taking that NOS sight glass out of it's bag. But seeing it back on the Carb made it worth it.

1614975031000.png

Got the mirror cut and installed. Chris Glass here in Greenville, SC, did an awesome job with cutting the mirror.

1614975175885.png

1614975198623.png

Got a couple updates. The electrical was driving me up a wall. I couldn't figure out why such a simple wiring harness was causing me so much grief. Turns out I had a couple wires crossed on the ignition switch. Now all my blinkers work along with the head lights and front marker lights. Super stoked.

Up next, some painting:

I used rustoleum silver hammered metal paint. Turned out pretty nice. I know I can buy a new bumper but the slight dents are character to me.

1618691173805.png

1618691726757.png

The gas tank was also causing me some worry. I have been putting it off taking it to go get chemical dipped to get rid of any gunk/rust. It is a 1965 so you can't just go out and buy a replacement tank. I figured before I sent it out, I should at least look inside to see if I could see anything. After draining 5 gallons of old gasoline, I unscrewed the fuel tank float... The float was perfect. I am pretty sure it had been replaced at some point because there was not a spec of rust on it. Inside the tank was the same way. No sight of rust at all. Huge relief. So I taped it up, sanded it down and put a few coats of primer and black gloss paint.

1618691427184.png

1618691688779.png

And finally a bit of bling thanks to @ToyotaMatt

1618691783970.png

I forgot to take pictures of the running boards installed. They looked too good not to share.

1618692413898.png

1618692430560.png

So after massaging the fenders and getting the apron gaps and bib just right. I went to install the hood.... s***. Time to loosen things up again and readjust. It does look mighty fine though. I can't wait for the hold downs, and spear.

1618692562657.png
1618692591457.png

1618692547364.png

Looks fabulous!!! Well done! Bet it feels great!

Appreciate the kind words. It has been a labor of love for the past four years. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. And you are right. it does feel pretty damn good.
Have one life. You lived it. Throw the receipts away. Want to see some pics of you heading to meet the horizon. Hope you use it without fear. It can be fixed again. It’s in your hands and mind. Many fear to get it dirty after the hard work.

Got a couple updates. The electrical was driving me up a wall. I couldn't figure out why such a simple wiring harness was causing me so much grief. Turns out I had a couple wires crossed on the ignition switch. Now all my blinkers work along with the head lights and front marker lights. Super stoked.

Up next, some painting:

I used rustoleum silver hammered metal paint. Turned out pretty nice. I know I can buy a new bumper but the slight dents are character to me.

View attachment 2648222

View attachment 2648232

The gas tank was also causing me some worry. I have been putting it off taking it to go get chemical dipped to get rid of any gunk/rust. It is a 1965 so you can't just go out and buy a replacement tank. I figured before I sent it out, I should at least look inside to see if I could see anything. After draining 5 gallons of old gasoline, I unscrewed the fuel tank float... The float was perfect. I am pretty sure it had been replaced at some point because there was not a spec of rust on it. Inside the tank was the same way. No sight of rust at all. Huge relief. So I taped it up, sanded it down and put a few coats of primer and black gloss paint.

View attachment 2648228

View attachment 2648229

And finally a bit of bling thanks to @ToyotaMatt

View attachment 2648233

you forgot the hanging out at the gas pump w/ safely chain in place......... :confused:

Of course. Sorry Matt, @ToyotaMatt Here we go.

1619635612161.png

Got my mirror mounted. If you look closely, there is a small spacer under the mirror. My painter ended up stripping out and breaking the original machine screws in the windshield... Found that out after it was painted. So I had to get creative with mounting the mirror.

1619635744401.png

Also got some sweet hood bumpers and hold downs from @cruiseroutfit

1619635694955.png

That is official for all the global destinations markets, YES all 4 of them !

4/28/2021 - 3:17pm EST

" The Re-release / Re-issue of part # 77310-90351-R Cap, SUB. Assy. W/ Chain is real , documented in @Krondor 's build thread for the historical Teq record and time line , in real time live no doubt ...

- 100% toyota genuine reproduction chain assy parts in every way , unaltered non-usa modern factory vented cap

thanks so very much @Krondor for the privilege to take a small part in your build you are going at in a perfect purist way . :)

kindly matt

Last edited:
A small victory and addition today. I was looking through @Coolerman s website the other day and found out that he makes plug and play hazard harnesses for the early land cruisers. The issue is that I would need to supply a hazard switch. It just so happens that I had an early hazard switch in my stock pile of parts. The other issue is that I would need a hole to put it in and I didn't want to drill another hole in the dash. Well the previous owner helped me out by drilling an extra for me!

1619808426541.png
1619808450928.png

I emailed Coolerman. and a few days and a few clams later, The harness arrived. It took all of 10 minutes to wire it up. It then took another 10 minutes to rewire the harness I just installed because I installed it incorrectly. The thing with these early cruisers is, There are two yellow and green wires and two orange and green wires that control the blinkers. If they are flipped flopped, the dash blinkers will come on when the brake light is pressed.

After flipping the wires around, I checked the blinkers, and they worked!
Next up, the flasher, and it works!
and finally the brake lights... They worked!

I doublechecked the front bib lights along with the head lights and everything is in working order.

I still need to figure out the windshield wiper installation and The electrical system will be good to go. My Original TNK wipers are seized, a fair amount of rust on the inside and the gears are all stuck. I purchased an aftermarket replacement pair but they switch off the ground instead of the positive 12V. Another day another problem.

For anyone building their own set of half doors, I would recommend bringing the slant down a little further towards the handle. This allows you to use the windshield lifter panel to cover the place where I had to weld. A lot of welding and grinding that a bolt on piece would have solved easily.

1622227551345.png

Got the other door cut and started welding on it. Lookin' good!

1622227321330.png

I took a break from working on the doors to see if I could get the wiper motors to budge. Turns out that the 56 year old motors had some dried up grease. I was able to pull the gears apart and clean thoroughly with brake cleaner. The motor stators were wire brushed and sanded with 2000 grit sand paper to clean them up. I wish I took some more pictures of them but they were a lot easier to clean up than I was expecting. Some graphite powder and lithium grease was then added to replace the old stuff. I plugged them in and burrrrrr.... The motors worked! Super stoked.
1623532498726.png

1623532479619.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom