Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plinking on other things finally checked out the Hupp heater I got 10,000 moons ago. And the core leaks 😔
IMG_3386.JPG

I’ve contacted Maradyne to see if the 8030 core will fit the Hupp 556 and if they just sell that. I’m not sure if we have a radiator shop that will recore something like this.

Last edited:
Your radiator shop may have suitable core replacement material on the shelf.

So now I’m in heater hell. I guess that’s appropriate, as hell is suppose to be hot.

It all started here, with those holes being from some PO, and I suspected they were for a heater of some sort (this is a current pic, hence wiring etc. is restored):
37CF75AC-C02F-45BC-9089-B989CA3937F1.jpeg

So off to the search races. Didn’t take long, and ended up in the Hupp 556 world of possibility. This thread was key (and Destin’s heater), and here’s my post to it after picking up a 556 that in all appearances will fit :bounce:.
Wonder if you could swap covers? I like the red too.

Interesting the different inlet and outlet pipe orientations for the hupps. I specifically was looking for a heater with vertical oriented pipes as that was the orientation of the existing holes. I came across this Hupp at sigfrid’s eBay listing and was sold on its vertical pipe orientation (like Destin’s vs horizontal or at angle like some others I’ve seen). Since the dealer drilled the holes I’m curious as to why there are different pipe orientations unless it has something to do with vehicle specifics (and what?). I think the front plate mod to this is removable, will have to redo the front flip up panel. Not sure of status of sticker or markings. And need to put power to the fan to verify operation.
View attachment 1617383 View attachment 1617381 View attachment 1617380

The info on the back was even cool, right in the ballpark of time:
IMG_3388.JPG

Well I finally tested the fan and it works, but the core leaks (post #1021 above). So I ordered a Maradyne 8030-12V as replacement since this one had core and other issues. But out of curiosity I FINALLY 🙄 decided to check the fitment of the old 556. No go. Whoever drilled the holes set the top of the unit to rest right up against the glove box bottom. So no air flow from the top. Nada, and really the unit would need some “coaxing” to fit there as well. Not sure now if this is what was there or something else. The similarity of the holes is too coincidental not to be for it.

Sans heater (defroster really) is going to suck. And I’ve got those holes to remind me how stupid I am. 😣

Time for an alien invasion 👽.

This heater was pretty hacked up. This rig is a hacked up. Marriage made in… It’s missing the front door, so looking at it with my alien sunglasses on, what about flipping the front cover and having that opening be a source of input air? Not a lot a volume, but maybe enough? I can screen it in. Here’s the tight fit (core slides in horizontally above the fan):
IMG_3389.JPG

Motor hums without the blades on it, but with the blades it sings an annoying song. No interference, can’t figure out what’s up with that.
IMG_3390.JPG

Possibly a bad bearing in the fan motor. Nice and quite until you put a load on it.

@Michael B that’s what I was thinking. But when I press on the shaft without the blade on it to mimic a load it doesn‘t make the noise. I guess the metal blades create a harmonic from the shaft vibration. Don’t obviously see if or how these motors are broke down to rebuild, a new replacement is $90 and is a three wire (three speed) so my variable resistance switch would also need replacement. I hate throwing $$s at this hack, but i also don’t want to have to drill more holes. Frustrating.

on edit: there might be a $38 motor option at a parts store in the “area” (45 miles away) that’s right next to a radiator shop, so I’ll check with them to see if they can fix my core.

Last edited:
Your radiator shop may have suitable core replacement material on the shelf.
Duh, finally dawned on me that they would braze/solder the seams anyhow! So I put on my big boy pants, got out the torch, acid-core solder and flux and went to town melting. Not beautiful, wouldn’t hang it on the wall for art - maybe the ubiquitous wall of shame though - but IT DOESN‘T LEAK! Ha, you pesky demons of all-things-eventually-go-bad. Not this, not at this point in time 😈!
IMG_3393.JPG

And, being on a roll, and completely full of myself, I figured out how to disassemble the fan motor, cleaned it, beat on it a bit, put it back together, and no more noise (the bearing isn’t replaceable, it’s fixed but cleaning and beating it put it back in working order). Sit down you demons!

News bulletin: according to the current administration, I’m one of the most powerful persons in the country, maybe the world. I’m responsible for all the COVID deaths, hospitalizations, and that no one is allowed to eat their dinner without their mask on. Pretty obvious those demons of destruction don’t stand a chance with me in their midst: Captain Hack at the rescue.

🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻

Last edited:
Nice distraction for the last few days. Chinook or Coho salmon (10-12 lbs, Salmon River and overall tail spotting would suggest Chinook, but the white on the lower jaw and overall color says Coho) and steelhead (A-run, 5 lbs) on swung flies. Hatchery fish so would die anyhow.
IMG_3403.jpg
IMG_3407.jpg

on edit: also the small scales on the salmon say Coho.

Last edited:
Back to bash and bang. Hack 556 heater (TEQ original equipment 😂) about ready. Figured out how to go from 2” hose at heater to 1-1/2 hose at defrost vents - Maradyne MFA127 kit has the plastic 2” connectors at the heater and plastic louver vents that can be modified to slide on to the defrost vent inlets.
IMG_3411.JPG

on edit: JEGS sells this same exact kit JEGS 70608: Louver and Vent Duct Kit - JEGS High Performance - https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70608/10002/-1

Dremel destructo tool with grinding bit and there it be, 2” hose to 1-1/2” vent connector. Another TEQ original 😝.
IMG_3413.jpg

And fully legal from the rear now with the TEQ original reflectors, made by Blazer International.
IMG_3412.JPG

Hopefully it‘s obvious I’m completely full of horse stuff.

Last edited:
So now I’m ready to install the Hack 556. Time to overthink 😆.

I have this issue of sorts with my install in that the heater sits up against the glove box bottom, so there’s no room for a duct over the top. I’ve been through every thread I can find wrt install of these Hupp (Hack) heaters and the routing of the defrost ducts. But not much there. Here’s one example, only shows one duct though and that’s the easy one to route.
Well, Destin and I have the same unit. I'm thinking we should compare vin notes; I bet they floated across on the same boat.

Mine has had a ghetto mod though, which leaves me wondering how it should be, so that I can get it back to stock. The two screws hold the plate in place, and I can slide it up and down. Should the plate be inside the housing, or is it alltogether different?
View attachment 478837View attachment 478838
Don’t know where or how the other side duct was routed. Maybe it wasn’t used and the outlet was just capped.

Here‘s the only other install with pics that I could find, with both ducts routed. But it brings up an interesting option, that being install the heater with the core at the bottom rather than the top. This idea would open up the air inlet to the core for my predicament but I’d still have to redrill and fill holes.
This one is in my 1963 Fj40 measures about 8 by 8

View attachment 1797964

There is some room to route the right side duct up over the glove box, kind of long circuitous route though. @oregon fj did you ever take some pics of your final Hupp install and ductwork?

I hear the river calling 😂.

It’s in, and second thoughts abound. I’ll live with it for a winter season, then overthink it some more. Blows a lot of air even with blockage. I slanted it a smidgeon back to front to get a little venting at the top. Resistor switch works great, and it lights up when powered! Still have to hook up coolant hoses, we‘ll see then how much heat and defrost I get. I’ll have to tell every passenger to mind their feet.
IMG_3419.JPG

Yippie
IMG_3442.JPG

@oregon fj did you ever take some pics of your final Hupp install and ductwork?
Nothing much to show, as my FST had no defrosters, so there were no ducts to run. My Hupp had the block-off plates still in place.
dsc_1917-jpg.1824541

Chip hauling day for CINCHOUSE’s garden. Where’s that bloomin’ pickup already?
EB16EC32-1004-4D70-B1CA-04961AB16747.jpeg

Heater hoses connected, and it works! Good heat, no leaks (so far) :clap:.

A bit of choke let’s me drive it, a bit slower than most on these roads around here. The click sounds (for those that drive their rigs to the mall and coffee shops 😝) are rocks hitting the wheel wells.

Salvage title applied for, once that’s in hand I can license it with original manufacture date plates.

Rear windows only missing pieces now.

Sweet, as in nice, cool etc., not your location.

Finally got this. Now I can get plates and drive it. Soon!
IMG_3546.jpg

Meanwhile chased some more of this.
IMG_3545.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom