1963 FJ45L SWB fixed top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I am new to this forum but have had many cruisers, my current project I am working on is a 1963 FJ45L numbers matching SWB non-removeable top. I will be looking for help from some of you for some questions that I have along the way of restoring this truck.

20200610_153104.jpg

Looks good there is a FJ45 section where you would get more help. Look at the bottom of the forum page

All,

I am new to this forum but have had many cruisers, my current project I am working on is a 1963 FJ45L numbers matching SWB non-removeable top. I will be looking for help from some of you for some questions that I have along the way of restoring this truck.

View attachment 2336041
That is a heck of a first post. Lets see some more pics. I’ve got two SWB fix top 45’s (63 and 64 production years).
Nice! I am the owners son and just trying to get him into this forum. I have a 69 FJ40 he built that has a 403 olds and thm350, 4wdb and PS tilt colum, remote fuel tank etc...

I will, as time permits post more pics of the progress of his build....

I wonder, if you have a 63, would you mind taking a picture of the tailgate chains? are they original? That is one thing he has had an issue with....

Nice! I am the owners son and just trying to get him into this forum. I have a 69 FJ40 he built that has a 403 olds and thm350, 4wdb and PS tilt colum, remote fuel tank etc...

I wonder, if you have a 63, would you mind taking a picture of the tailgate chains? are they original? That is one thing he has had an issue with....
paging @wngrog. The truck is at his house.

paging @wngrog. The truck is at his house.
This brings our conversation to another point, that being my dad and mine.....the original spare tire carrier was external of the tailgate and all of the attaching holes for a under bad mounted spare were there, what was the criteria for the under bed spare as opposed to the rear mounted spare carrier?

FJ40 and SWB FJ45 tailgate chains are the same. The 64 had Ace hardware chains and the 63 here has one OEM. One missing.

This brings our conversation to another point, that being my dad and mine.....the original spare tire carrier was external of the tailgate and all of the attaching holes for a under bad mounted spare were there, what was the criteria for the under bed spare as opposed to the rear mounted spare carrier?

I think it was model year specific. The 63 was on the fender and the 64 was under but the 63 had the provisions for the under bed.
There are a lot of weird things going on with the early 45s.
One of these has a smooth roof and one has ribs. Both fixed SWB. Hard to be certain what’s “correct”

That looks to be in great shape. How’s the bed? More pics!

What is the VIN? As @wngrog points out, there is a number of significant changes mid year, one being the location of the spare. Doors having different handles is another. Looks like you have the fixed windshield, so I’m guessing early ‘63. That’s what mine is and the VIN is 13048. Definitely post over in the 45 section.

Last edited:
This is a early 63 like @RustyNailJustin has.

Look here for the VIN registry

Yeah early ‘63. Second oldest US one in the registry, nice! Does the motor number match the VIN plate?

How‘s the interior stuff?

Yes, the stamp on the motor is correct and the interior other than worn was in good shape, the seat frame have been blasted and painted, new covers.....

Question, the only one I see in the registry would be one digit newer, if Im reading it correct, this is the oldest 63 on there? Also it appears that Justin's was the next off the line?

Posting some more pictures. I went down to visit my father and help him get the cab from the body shop and get it back on the body. I am trying to get him into doing his own post but it is difficult to get him in here. For now I will proxy for him.....

You guys are gonna love this thought, he paid $1500 for it back in the 90's!

I have him looking for a picture of it when he started this project.

20200610_084426.jpg

20200611_064359.jpg

20200611_064417.jpg

Justin’s is one later, but Jim’s @FJ40Jim is the earliest US at 12014, but he just sold it and it looks to be headed out of the country.

With the original motor and the looks of that tub nearly perfect, this is the early 45 SWB in the US. So that means you have to start a robust build thread with an inordinate number of pics (get a silver or gold star), and keep it away from Nolen @wngrog :p.

Yes, please make sure it’s fully original and miserable to ride in and drive.
You know, after we got the cab back on and bolted down I asked my dad if the springs were original or if he had to get them remade, since it didn't seem to travel any if at all. I made the reference at that point that it must ride like a fricken tank! He told me they were original and, it does ride very uncomfortably.

He has had many of these vehicles (FJ's) and built tons of other stuff, but when he gets them, he only tends to only mod them if they are already started down that path. When he bought this particular truck, he said that instantly he felt that it NEEDED to be original so he decided to go down this path. This is the reason I have been asking question about original things like the spare tire carrier and gate chains.....

When he saw the tire carrier under the bed, he felt maybe that was the way to go so he installed one, but after talking to you guys here we decided to go back to the hinged gate carrier that actually did come on this vehicle when he got it. Unfortuantely, back when he started tearing this truck down with the intention to do this, he couldn't find a source of information reliable enough to make those kind of decisions. I believe we are in the right place now.

Does this have the original drivetrain? Center rear diff, side shift tranny?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom