1963 FJ45L SWB fixed top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Following
My resto mod they got built side by side maybe?
FB_IMG_1488042509337.jpg

Does this have the original drivetrain? Center rear diff, side shift tranny?
Short answer is, Yes it is all original, only completely cleaned and rebuilt. Long answer is, assuming it was all original when he bought it. The motor numbers match the vin plate so I say it is safe to assume everything is as original as can be. Here is a bad pic my dad took along the way. I have him hooked up with a better camera on his phone now so the pic quality is going to be better.

old pic.jpg

come to think of it, its a top shift tranny though...I know he had some problems with the tranny, I will ask him next time I talk with him, this one may not be original.

Center rear diff is original, but that looks like the half generation later top shift tranny - original would of had both shift levers on the side.

on edit: I see your last response.

So given that, do you have any pics of the transmission tunnel (hump)?

Center rear diff is original, but that looks like the half generation later top shift tranny - original would of had both shift levers on the side.

on edit: I see your last response.

So given that, do you have any pics of the transmission tunnel (hump)?

No but I will get one. Come to think of it, we were speaking about the tranny and he montioned a long story about the orginal tranny, I will ask and get the full story.

Awesome. He’s probably been down a lot paths I’ve been and am still heading for, lol.

Fond memories (see my signature line). Keep up the great work. At least the paint seems sorted. I didn't find out th eoriginal color (and that the firewall was supposed to be satin black until later on.
My dad found the off white color as well as this powder blue color on the vehicle in different places, he decided he like to blue best, we think this IS the original color...but who knows for sure?

Ok so here it is.

when he bought it there was a mod done to make it floor shift, which apparently they replaced the trans for, since the original trans he got it with is rebuilt and back in only he added the linkage for the top shift 3 on the tree from another vehicle....the original steering column housing is in place, as far as we know. The trans cover, which was asked about earlier, was the wrong one, he managed to find the correct one and plugged a hole in it...but foun out had the body shop left it on we would not have gotten the cab back on since it wouldnt fit with the top linkage.

After much deliberation, he has decided it needs to go back to the original side shift trans, so he has made several calls to local and long distance places he knows about to procure a side shift trans and linkage.

The next question is did they replace the transfer case with a later version when they did this, is there any difference between the side/top linkage trans and the transfer case?

next question, does anyone have an early 63 tside shift trans and linkage they would be willing to part with? I know he would be willing to work a trade and cash....he just wants to get it right in the name of purity and he has tons of spare parts!

Also can someone, for the love of god, take a picture of original side shift linkage in a early 63 or earlier truck so we can see what we are up against?

He is bringing more pics with him for the weekend.

Justin’s is one later, but Jim’s @FJ40Jim is the earliest US at 12014, but he just sold it and it looks to be headed out of the country.
My (former) FJ45 didn't even leave the state. The new owner is a non-USA build, but he & FJ45 are are staying in the USA for the long haul. ;)

Update 7-22-20
After a long drive out to Colorado, we managed to procure a 1962 FJ40 that has all of the original shift linkage still attached and many extra parts including an early transfercase and PTO for the winch.

A question maybe someone can answer...here is a picture of some doors that came with it, they have fiber board panels and vinyl exterior on them. What are they? What year do they fit? Are they even OEM?

Also, someone added a heater/defroster is this an add on that could have been installed or is it someones crazy bush build?

doors1.jpg

doors2.jpg

heater.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom