Where To Mount The Bikini Top Channel ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ40 beat and abused when I bought it last July did come with a like new never mounted Bestop bikini top. This is something that I am now getting around to addressing and I'm not sure how the channel mounts. Although there are no mounting holes in the channel ( looks like I'll have to drill those) It seems to me that it would mount on the upper outer face of the windshield frame using the the threaded holes for the hardtop, is this correct? if anyone has a photo of how and where it mounts that would be a great help!

It is screwed to the windshield frame from what I remember and snaps are also installed at the corners. Be careful of where you put the snaps or the wind will pop them off and the bikini top will be behind the roll bar. I only used mine once because of that for a trip to the Wind River mountain trails.

It has been over 40 years since I tried to use a bikini top. I haven't had the top off since either. It would always rain when it was off and when we were on that trip to the high country it snowed and that was fun trying to get to Jackson Hole.

My son was 3 then and was sitting on the center console and we had him keep is hands in front of the heater on high to keep them warm.

Last edited:
Only pic I can find lol.

IMG_2793.jpeg

I had these pics for my later reference….. Used some sort of nutsert - I think these are called jack nuts maybe
IMG_0571.jpeg

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

I has been over 40 years since I tried to use a bikini top. I haven't had the top off since either. I would always rain when it was off and when we were on that trip to the high country it snowed and that was fun trying to get to Jackson Hole.

My son was 3 then and was sitting on the center console and we had him keep is hands in front of the heater on high to keep them warm.
We get lots of warm sunny weather here so a bikini top works fine, well that and I probably won't get around to restoring the hardtop ( needs a lot of work) until next year.

My FJ40 beat and abused when I bought it last July did come with a like new never mounted Bestop bikini top. This is something that I am now getting around to addressing and I'm not sure how the channel mounts. Although there are no mounting holes in the channel ( looks like I'll have to drill those) It seems to me that it would mount on the upper outer face of the windshield frame using the the threaded holes for the hardtop, is this correct? if anyone has a photo of how and where it mounts that would be a great help!
You are correct. Mine is in 2 pieces, and attaches to the blind nuts in the frame also.

Should just be glad your channels weren't pre drilled. I have three sets of the two piece channels with three holes in each. These holes do not match the holes in the windshield. My 79 FJ40 I bought from a friend came with only a bikini top using a set of the channels. Windshield has six holes from sheet metal screws. Have another late model windshield that has six holes from sheet metal screws. Like my 79 has the stock holes with no fixed nuts. I have a spare 71 windshield not sure it has the extra holes drilled but in the Southwest this was a common practice. These were a utility/RV originally not a collector vehicle. People didn't think twice about drilling holes.

Years ago when bows and top were coming in from Pakistan I bought a bikini made of black vinyl from Pakistan. It's different than other because it uses the FST windshield channel and door headers. Prevents the sides from flapping at higher speeds. That was my biggest complaint with my 79 when I bought. With all the aftermarket bows available today think this style bikini top would be popular. When Alex @SouthBostonFJ40 was selling it was available the for while before I bought it.

We get lots of warm sunny weather here so a bikini top works fine, well that and I probably won't get around to restoring the hardtop ( needs a lot of work) until next year.
Labor Day weekend in that area the snow may have all melted and then can start any time from Labor Day. It can snow anytime in Wyoming.

I run one(SOR) most of the summer and love it. I drilled new holes in the aluminum channel to match up with the OEM holes in the top of the windshield. Works well, just installed a bestop soft top in the same channel.
One day I may fix up the hardtop, one day. It’s hard to muster the desire since I only drive it in the summer.

My channel mates up to the factory holes.

It was always flapping loose until a Jeep guy help me understand how to roll the front edge before tucking it in to keep it snug. 🤷

I drilled holes in my channel to match the existing threaded holes from the hardtop and it worked fine. The windshield frame does arch a tiny bit so you might need 4 hands to bend the channel. It ain't much. I did have to locate and drill the windshield frame for the corner snaps using sheet metal screws but if you are accurate they never have to be removed when replacing the hard top. Mount the channel slot down, the leading edge of the top inserts from underneath and then rolls up and over the windshield frame and back to the roll bar. It looks nice and clean if done right.

I run one(SOR) most of the summer and love it. I drilled new holes in the aluminum channel to match up with the OEM holes in the top of the windshield. Works well, just installed a bestop soft top in the same channel.
One day I may fix up the hardtop, one day. It’s hard to muster the desire since I only drive it in the summer.

Did the channel come from SOR? Was it a single piece or two pieces? Last was it pre drilled with mounting holes.

Did the channel come from SOR? Was it a single piece or two pieces? Last was it pre drilled with mounting holes.
Yes SOR supplied the channel, but they use the Bestop 2 piece channel. There were already mounting holes in the aluminum channel, but I decided I’d rather drill it than the windshield frame. It’s same as the one that came with my soft top- U channel that accepts a strip of plastic. When I switch back to the bikini, I won’t have to swap the channel out. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

Yes SOR supplied the channel, but they use the Bestop 2 piece channel. There were already mounting holes in the aluminum channel, but I decided I’d rather drill it than the windshield frame. It’s same as the one that came with my soft top- U channel that accepts a strip of plastic. When I switch back to the bikini, I won’t have to swap the channel out. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

I have never had a jeep but believe these channels are the same as provide by Best Top for the CJ series. Some thing made for a FJ40 would not be pre drilled and not match the stock holes used on the FJ40 back to the mid sixties. Even on hard top models has these holes. Once the soft top models ended in the US the fixed nut was gone but the seven holes remained. Would have been nice if SOR drilled the correct holes in the channel pieces. I never verified but almost positive the three sets of channels have the same holes in the same location. Not one of them were drilled again with the right location for the 40 series. This makes me think these are the same channels as used on the CJs. People used used those holes and sheet metal screws to mount. Did yours come with any screws?

I have never had a jeep but believe these channels are the same as provide by Best Top for the CJ series. Some thing made for a FJ40 would not be pre drilled and not match the stock holes used on the FJ40 back to the mid sixties. Even on hard top models has these holes. Once the soft top models ended in the US the fixed nut was gone but the seven holes remained. Would have been nice if SOR drilled the correct holes in the channel pieces. I never verified but almost positive the three sets of channels have the same holes in the same location. Not one of them were drilled again with the right location for the 40 series. This makes me think these are the same channels as used on the CJs. People used used those holes and sheet metal screws to mount. Did yours come with any screws?

The channel is probably extruded aluminum cut to length. I've had a few bestop bikinis and a full top. You are correct from my experiences with their channel. All the channels that came with the tops were the same jeep type channel. Idk, if the length was the same though. My channels over extended the frame by a little bit. They had pre drilled holes that didn't match the 40 w/s holes. They supplied sheet metal screws.

The channel is probably extruded aluminum cut to length. I've had a few bestop bikinis and a full top. You are correct from my experiences with their channel. All the channels that came with the tops were the same jeep type channel. Idk, if the length was the same though. My channels over extended the frame by a little bit. They had pre drilled holes that didn't match the 40 w/s holes. They supplied sheet metal screws.
Yep, aluminum is real easy to drill. I just mapped out the original Toyota holes and started spinning the drill in to the soft aluminum. Bolted right in, never had a single issue- as long as the top is tight.
I agree they are simply using the Jeep parts. I don’t remember the sheet metal screws- probably threw them in the trash. Seems an all around bad idea, when there are perfectly good welded nuts in the windshield frame already.

I got the channel mounted today, I drilled holes to use the captured nuts in the windshield frame. Thanks to everyone for your help and input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom