Builds 1963 FJ45 SWB in Cavalry Blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
@KSDaddio (my father) and I have been importing restored cruisers, and project cruisers, from the Middle East for awhile now. Last year we were approached by someone local here in Phoenix asking us to do some work on their FJ40. We'd not ever considered doing this but it seemed like a fun opportunity. I emailed @wngrog a few questions about doing work on other people's rigs... and then we did a complete axle rebuild and disk brake conversion on his FJ40.

Fast forward a bit and while selling two trucks at Barrett-Jackson in January we were approached by a gentleman looking for help on finishing up a Land Cruiser project. He'd gotten the engine rebuilt and a disk brake conversion started (front and back). He'd also sent the body out for paint and they had never really finished the job. His project has lost momentum and he just wants it finished. It's a 1963 FJ45 SWB that has been painted in a pretty close match to Toyota Cavalry Blue (newer color on several of their 4x4's). We have quite a few of the parts with only a few things missing. Design decisions before we got involved... removing the 3-on-the-tree, relocating 4wd to floor shift, removing fuel tank from the cab and putting it under the bed, patching over the original fuel filler... we'll work with those. It looks like we may be getting a complete repaint as we are finding more and more issues in the current paint job.

We visited with him several time... inventoried most of his parts stash... and gave him an estimate. And then we went and picked up the truck...
001pickup.jpg

002parts.jpg

003loaded.jpg

And stuck it in my garage.
004garaged.jpg

And started a formal inventory of what we have so we can get parts orders out.
005inventory.jpg

My friend that's a UPS guy spotted your SWB. Sent me a pic......small world.
View attachment 3588342
That's very cool.
The same UPS guy and I have chatted several times about Land Cruisers... he dropped off a steering gear for me yesterday and was asking about the SWB.

Yeah get me the vin and I’ll add it to the SWB list
VIN and Engine Block info:

007vin.jpg

008build.jpg

The bonehead painters went right over the build plate which is fastened with Phillips screws... I'm going to be working to remove the paint and preserve the build plate.

Does it have the original engine? If so are you keeping it? If your doing the floor shift I would recommend cutting the holes similar to this.
IMG_2370.jpg

This would mostly be the correct opening back to mid 63 when the transmission and transfer case changed. Would also use the correct knobs for both transmission and transfer case unless your keeping the transfer on the dash. Also if this has early three speed would be sure and source the floor shift before cutting anything. I tried unsuccessfully to acquire an early floor shift for the early three speed. Believe some off an old GM product could be modified. I have a feeling by the windshield being part of the tub this may have the early three speed. I know the tailgate will not have footman loops but there are two different ones. Center section was wilder on the early ones.
IMG_1770.JPG

Haven't mentioned must about the power train. Personally would keep it as original as possible. The fixed top 45 has less room then the 45 with the removable top and those don't have much room. Finding seats that offer better leg room is also impossible. For that reason if the power train is original would keep it that way.

My ‘63 45 SWB is an early ‘63 that’s 93 units earlier than this one, and it originally had the side-shifter 3-spd tranny. Along with the fixed windshield frame, the short door ribs, triangle tool box, and driver’s seat frame tell me this is an early ‘63 as well. Can’t quite tell from pics, but a centered rear diff would also point to early.

My ‘63 45 SWB is an early ‘63 that’s 93 units earlier than this one, and it originally had the side-shifter 3-spd tranny. Along with the fixed windshield frame, the short door ribs, triangle tool box, and driver’s seat frame tell me this is an early ‘63 as well. Can’t quite tell from pics, but a centered rear diff would also point to early.

In my literature I have the frame number on the FJ40 and FJ45 that the offset diff started.

Customer wants a/c but……
Only one pulley on crank and saw this on Vintage Air. Has anyone tried this option, or have thoughts pro/con?
235 Chevy 1955-62 Driver-side Top-mount Alternator Bracket/Bottom-mount Compressor Bracket
1712153535936.png

Is there room for all that (plus steering, manifolds)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom