160k engine vibration felt at idle. What can be done to get it like new? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Lexus was so quiet at idle for years that I sometimes didn't know it was running and tried to start it again. My 2006 has 160k miles and while not terrible I can feel it idling. Is this due to motor mounts aging? What causes this, what can be done to remedy, and how much would it cost?

The Lexus was so quiet at idle for years that I sometimes didn't know it was running and tried to start it again. My 2006 has 160k miles and while not terrible I can feel it idling. Is this due to motor mounts aging? What causes this, what can be done to remedy, and how much would it cost?
First easy / cheap step to take would be to:
> Disconnect battery
> Disconnect MAF sensor ( located after air filter )
> Gently spray the sensor clean
> Re-install and let run for 10-15

If you wanted to "while you're in there " you could remove the tube from the throttle body and look into procedure on cleaning the plate.

That would be my first line of defense. You should also check your air filter, when is the last time it was changed? Shine a light through the backside / hold it up to sun and see if you can see light through it.

Otherwise when it comes to idle the next parts to think about are plugs / wires / coils / general tune up / mounts / etc.

I wouldn't loose sleep over it, just make sure you keep up with maintenance schedule, keep engine cool, and keep air flow clean. Do you drive like a granny? Put the pedal to the floor now and then and let her rip.

First easy / cheap step to take would be to:
> Disconnect battery
> Disconnect MAF sensor ( located after air filter )
> Gently spray the sensor clean
> Re-install and let run for 10-15

If you wanted to "while you're in there " you could remove the tube from the throttle body and look into procedure on cleaning the plate.

That would be my first line of defense. You should also check your air filter, when is the last time it was changed? Shine a light through the backside / hold it up to sun and see if you can see light through it.

Otherwise when it comes to idle the next parts to think about are plugs / wires / coils / general tune up / mounts / etc.

I wouldn't loose sleep over it, just make sure you keep up with maintenance schedule, keep engine cool, and keep air flow clean. Do you drive like a granny? Put the pedal to the floor now and then and let her rip.
I concur with these recommendations.

I strongly encourage you to pull and inspect your plugs and coils. They can cause issues without throwing codes.

Filter clean. For MAF cleaner is electrical contact cleaner spray ok?
There is MAF specific cleaner. You'll want to look for that. CRC makes a MAF sensor cleaner available at most auto parts stores.

Cleaned MAS. Idle went down 200 rpm but I can still feel the engine is running. Throttle body cleaning is next...

Engines need tune-ups with miles and time. With age, rubber vacuum hoses get old, shrinks, crack and leak.

In addition to tune-up. A few check need to be done, ASAP.
Stick your ear into fender wheel well, during cold engine start-up. Any tick heard! If yes and tick still present after warm up, do not run engine until spark plugs checked.

2006 up.

"Do you drive like a granny? Put the pedal to the floor now and then and let her rip."

I think that is the reason my 2002 LX470 with 69K miles has a slight vibration at idle.
I tend to use 87 octane in my LX, but my son uses Premium in his 2004 LC with 250K miles and gets on it, and his engine is silky smooth, much smoother than mine.
On the Mercedes forum they call this do an "Italian Tuneup" occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom