FAN NOISE - KILLED ENGINE AT IDLE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

New to working on my cruiser. Started it up yesterday to let it warm up in the Utah winter and started hearing this clicking/rubbing noise while idling from the fan area. It seemed to go in and out, so I didn't think much of it. Drove it a few miles down the road and didn't hear the rubbing while driving. Stopped at non-touch car wash, got out, let it idle, and this time the rubbing turned into a loud clunking noise. By the time I could run over and pop the hood, the engine had died and there was light smoke from the fan area. Drove it home and haven't touched it since.

From other posts, looks like it could be the fan clutch or bearings? It seems to be wobbling when running.

Deleting the links to the videos-- yours works better.

It really sounds like there is a bad bearing in there somewhere-- but I am not sure if it is the fan clutch. Maybe the tension adjuster? Maybe the alternator?

But you should not see wobble in the fan-- so maybe the fan clutch

Last edited:
check the fan bracket

Fan Bracket bearing.... normal wear item. Useful life is about 250k.

Fan Bracket bearing.... normal wear item. Useful life is about 250k.

Seems like this video will do?

Is there anything else that he should replace "why he is in there" replacing the fan bracket? The fan pulley? The fan clutch? Are they likely to be nearing the end of their useful lives?

Is there anything else that he should replace "why he is in there" replacing the fan bracket? The fan pulley? The fan clutch? Are they likely to be nearing the end of their useful lives?
You're 80% of the way to a timing belt, so it depends on the state of things and how old the belt is.

Should he replace the idler pulley? I know those wear out on other vehicles, but I don't know if they are an issue on 100s.

The idler pulley, tensioner and fan clutch have about a 180k miles interval. But many have gone longer. He can change those while in there but none of those are really difficult to change on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom