10 Minute Rear Shock Install (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will do, I've only looked one place so far but have several other local places to check. Then I will go online if that doesn't work.

What is the maximum size for the hole/plug in the flat area of the rib in the floor? Yes, I am being lazy and not pulling up the carpet to find out until I get the shocks and plugs.

Take a look at some of the other plugs Toyota already used on your truck and see if there is one that will work for this hole size. There are a bunch throughout the truck on the floor, firewall, rockers and trunk, and one of them might be a good match.

Let me know if you find the correct size plugs. I've experimented with several different types, but still haven't found anything I like.

After three hardware stores, finally found a plug solution I like. I got these at my local Lowes in the hardware section. They fit the 1.5" hole I drilled perfectly and I used a little RTV to make sure they are water tight.

shock_hole_plug_1.jpg

shock_hole_plug_2.jpg

^^ LOL Hey if it works, it works! :D

What is the maximum size for the hole/plug in the flat area of the rib in the floor? Yes, I am being lazy and not pulling up the carpet to find out until I get the shocks and plugs.

I just measured, and I would not go larger than 1 3/4" hole. The 1 1/2" hole I used was more then large enough to work with a socket for the top nut.

FYI. You need a 22mm *deep* socket to get the shock top nut off.

After three hardware stores, finally found a plug solution I like. I got these at my local Lowes in the hardware section. They fit the 1.5" hole I drilled perfectly and I used a little RTV to make sure they are water tight.

shock_hole_plug_1.jpg

shock_hole_plug_2.jpg

They are made in the USA too!! Beats China

lol

Oh yes, I was very proud of my little piece of $1.39 american made steel! :D

Works great! I primed the sides of the holes after drilling. I was surprised by how thick the "deadening" material is on the floor. Thanks for the pics and the measurements.
_MG_5783.jpg

shock_hole_plug_1.jpg

shock_hole_plug_2.jpg

Should have used some plumbers putty instead of the RTV :)

Should have used some plumbers putty instead of the RTV :)

No not really:D ...For best results one should use AC insulation tape (the stuff around the AC lines where they go through the fire wall) and electrical KO seal(available 7/8"-4 1/2" dia). :flipoff2:
insulation tape.JPG

I was thinking of you 100 guys today and I measured a couple of hole plugs on my 80. 90950-01882 is one of the six inner rocker panel plugs on an 80 series. The hole ID is 1-1/8", and it's a rubber plug. I also measured one of the body mount holes. The ID is 1-3/8", and I think the part number is 90950-01557. This plug is a flexible plastic material. Hope that helps!

the location on my 99 lx470 is more like 5 5/8" from the wheelwell trim than 6". i presume the trim is different on the lexus.

I'm not opposed to cutting holes, but would a ratcheting box wrench with a pivoting head make quick work of this without cutting?

I'm not opposed to cutting holes, but would a ratcheting box wrench with a pivoting head make quick work of this without cutting?

with a pivoting head and extra long length it is doable but you may need a cheater bar to fight through the rusted threads. the nut is at an angle to the frame and it is hard to seat a wrench on it properly and hard to get even a 1/8 turn at a time. i had a rhythm going on mine but the nut was half seated and it eventually rounded off on me.

Is there room to get an air ratchet up there?

YES ! Flex head GearWrench. I want to say 22mm (or 7/8"). Soak the fasteners with PB Blaster ahead of time. Mine came off in a couple of minutes. No fuss, no muss.

I know I posted all this before. It's probably above somewhere in this same thread.

YES ! Flex head GearWrench. I want to say 22mm (or 7/8"). Soak the fasteners with PB Blaster ahead of time. Mine came off in a couple of minutes. No fuss, no muss.

I know I posted all this before. It's probably above somewhere in this same thread.

mine had a 19mm nut installed and the new oem replacement nut was 22mm.

YES ! Flex head GearWrench.

With this option, how do you verify torque? I am thinking of cutting the holes not only to help me get my original shocks off, but to allow me to torque the nuts using a torque wrench and allow for easier future changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom