SOLVED: 09 LX 570 horn still doesn’t work after replacing clock spring. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The horn still sounds if the factory alarm is tripped. I replaced the clock spring, and it went great. No dash lights. Everything else works as it did before, but the horn still doesn’t work.

What’s next for me to check?

Needed to honk at a dumb driver - horn isn’t working.

Is there any reason it wouldn’t be the clock spring? Horn was working two days ago, and wasn’t working yesterday. Only variable is that we’ve had some big rain between then and now.
  • I have no history of leaking cowl or sunroof drains. I found no moisture in the cabin air filter / recirc flap. Sunroof drains seem fine
  • Can get the horn to work sometimes when turning the wheel while driving
  • Security horn works, even when steering wheel horn doesn’t.
  • Cruise control works, steering wheel buttons work (and pretty sure they light up)
  • No airbag lights

I see 84306-48030 on Partsouq @ $105. Good price for OEM. Before pulling the trigger, is there anything else to consider?

I’ve done this replacement on my ‘07 Tundra. Anything special to know about a 2010 200?
I just replaced my clock spring, and it did not fix the horn for me. All the things you listed are true of my truck as well.

The horn still sounds if the factory alarm is tripped. I replaced the clock spring, and it went great. No dash lights. Everything else works as it did before, but the horn still doesn’t work.

What’s next for me to check?
Verify the horn switch itself works. It should complete a circuit to ground when activated. You can pull the airbag and test the switch, but also apply ground to the appropriate wire at the clock spring and that should trigger the horn.. if that doesn’t work, the problem is between the clock spring and whatever triggers the horn, probably the body control module.

Also check the connections to the horn itself. I disconnected mine once and reconnected it either backwards or not completely and it didn't work.

i need to do my clockspring, because my cruise doesnt work

now i am scared I may lose my horn :(

Also check the connections to the horn itself. I disconnected mine once and reconnected it either backwards or not completely and it didn't work.
I found another video on YouTube in different language where a guy cleaned what looked like a ground wire connection behind the airbag and got his horn to work again. I’m going to try that.
i need to do my clockspring, because my cruise doesnt work

now i am scared I may lose my horn :(
The clock spring is pretty straightforward. Just put some tape across your steering wheel and the top of the column and make sure it lines up when you put it back.

I didn’t lose anything replacing my clock spring; it just didn’t solve my problem.

Last edited:
It was the dang fuse. I don’t know why I didn’t check that first. Feel pretty stupid about it. Every thread I read said clock spring. I thought since it’s an ‘09, it’s obviously the clock spring.

Nope. Spent $200 to fix the issue with a $0.05 fuse. Haha. WOOOO

If there is anything that this forum taught me over the years, it is that we jump to bigger issues, when most of the time it's the simplest solution. Perks of LC ownership I suppose.

Glad you found the solution! I’m gonna hijack your thread. I asked this question in the SQOD thread last week and didn’t get a response. Ahem:

Is there any reason it wouldn’t be the clock spring? Horn was working two days ago, and wasn’t working yesterday. Only variable is that we’ve had some big rain between then and now.
  • I have no history of leaking cowl or sunroof drains. I found no moisture in the cabin air filter / recirc flap. Sunroof drains seem fine
  • Cruise control works, steering wheel buttons work
  • No airbag lights

I see 84306-48030 on Partsouq @ $105. Good price for OEM. Before pulling the trigger, is there anything else to consider?

I’ve done this replacement on my ‘07 Tundra. Anything special to know about a 2010 200?

Glad you found the solution! I’m gonna hijack your thread. I asked this question in the SQOD thread last week and didn’t get a response. Ahem:

• Cruise control works, steering wheel buttons work
  • No airbag lights

Check the horn fuse. That would have saved me $200.

I’d still wonder why the fuse popped. That shouldn’t happen under normal operation.

Yeah, maybe a bad clock spring blew the fuse and you would have needed to replace it anyways. Time and $200 well spent!

Thanks for the tip - fuse looks fine. Since the horn works when the wheel is turned, I'm feeling more confident it is the clock spring. It works in nearly every position but straight!
Yep, that’s supposedly the tell-tale sign that it is the clock spring.

I followed this youtube video. Pretty easy process. Always disconnect the battery first.

The plot thickens: horn stopped working again. I am assuming the fuse blew.

When I replaced it, the fuse box was extremely dirty under the cover. First time I’ve had it open. I’m wondering if the previous owner spent some time driving around without the lid shut properly. Lots of dirt and dust under there. Most fuses were impossible to read.

Will clean, replace fuse again, and report back.

As a data point I have to clean my underhood fuse box out periodically or my OCD flares up. It gets plenty dusty in there even when closed up properly.

Last edited:
The plot thickens: horn stopped working again. I am assuming the fuse blew.

When I replaced it, the fuse box was extremely dirty under the cover. First time I’ve had it open. I’m wondering if the previous owner spent some time driving around without the lid shut properly. Lots of dirt and dust under there. Most fuses were impossible to read.

Will clean, replace fuse again, and report back.
I'm attaching wiring diagrams for the horn and theft deterrent systems. They are quite simple.. for you to be blowing a fuse either the coil side of the relay is bad and popping the fuse directly, or you have a short somewhere in the black wire between the fuse and horns themselves. Or maybe one of the horns has gone bad.

Do you have any multimeter skills? Able to diagnose the relay and each of the horns? Or the wiring from the relay socket to chassis?

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 8.37.08 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 8.40.02 AM.png

I'm attaching wiring diagrams for the horn and theft deterrent systems. They are quite simple.. for you to be blowing a fuse either the coil side of the relay is bad and popping the fuse directly, or you have a short somewhere in the black wire between the fuse and horns themselves. Or maybe one of the horns has gone bad.

Do you have any multimeter skills? Able to diagnose the relay and each of the horns? Or the wiring from the relay socket to chassis?

View attachment 3566675

View attachment 3566676
Thanks for the diagrams! I have a good multimeter. I couldn’t help but notice that when I replaced the fuse and the horn briefly worked, that it was very high pitched and wimpy sounding. Almost comically so. I wonder if the low pitched horn doesn’t work, and if that’s my problem.

Thanks for the diagrams! I have a good multimeter. I couldn’t help but notice that when I replaced the fuse and the horn briefly worked, that it was very high pitched and wimpy sounding. Almost comically so. I wonder if the low pitched horn doesn’t work, and if that’s my problem.
It could also be the high pitch horn dying and pulling so much current on that circuit the low horn wouldn’t work. Or yes, vice versa. I’d definitely be checking the resistance of the circuits in the horns as a first step.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom