Buying an LX with 200k on the clock? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s at a Toyota dealership and appears to have been at least minimally serviced with brakes and fluids. Appears to be rust free.

Year is 2008. $17k

I have an 06 LX470 I bought with 215k, so I’m not exactly scared of the miles and maybe only drive 6k miles a year. So id probably drive it for a couple of years then sell and buy a newer model.

I guess im trying to do the calculus on buying one that appears to be in pretty good shape, but higher mileage, for 17k, spend some $ on “making it my own” right away, OR just saving a bit longer and buying a 2013+ with lower miles and taking a bit longer to modify.

If the ‘08 could keep on rolling, I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping it longer term either.

Any input on if this is a decent deal? Should I wait and save up a bit more for a lower mile example? TIA

That price seems quite reasonable. I picked up a 2008 LC last year with 200K miIes and paid considerably more.

Good to know. Thank you for the input. How is yours running?
Runs like new. I had to fix the valley pan coolant leak (search the forum as it's a common issue). I never thought I would ever by a car with 200k miles but I did. I haven't hesitated to make round trips from Colorado to Oklahoma and another from Colorado to Dallas. I'm confident this thing will go another 200k miles with little issue.

BTW I paid 29K for mine but it had an Ironman 3 inch lift, new aftermarket tires and wheels, and a Rhinorack roof rack and awning along with some other goodies. I'm guessing my goodies were around $10k or more.

Runs like new. I had to fix the valley pan coolant leak (search the forum as it's a common issue). I never thought I would ever by a car with 200k miles but I did. I haven't hesitated to make round trips from Colorado to Oklahoma and another from Colorado to Dallas. I'm confident this thing will go another 200k miles with little issue.

BTW I paid 29K for mine but it had an Ironman 3 inch lift, new aftermarket tires and wheels, and a Rhinorack roof rack and awning along with some other goodies. I'm guessing my goodies were around $10k or more.
sounds like a nice ride! I'd like to do the "lite" version of that

200k for 17k is pretty good, I bought mine in 2019 for 20k with 200k miles. 20k then is close to 24k now...17k sounds like a great deal.

I'm a big fan of the updates to the '13-15 LXs and LCs, but with lower miles you could be looking at double the initial entry cost, particularly with the latter. That is up to you to decide. In general, these rigs are very reliable, but as with any 200k vehicle, maintenance is very important along with a few specific items (below).

That said, $17k sounds like a pretty good deal to me for an early 2008 rust free LX. As others mentioned, typically you'd be looking at $3-5k+ more for other similar spec LXs and $7-8k+ for a similar spec LC. Get an independent PPI done and ensure they check the valley leak, inspect AHC, radiator, etc. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
2011 LX570

I figured if I had to spend $$$ baselining why pay any more than I had to.

My CFO didn't see it that way, so I got my 2014 with 100k instead.

Yeah I'd say hit at $17k. Just keep in the back of your head you'll likely need to do-

Radiator
Water pump
Pulleys/belt
Starter
Valley plate
AHC globes and fluid

Plan for the worst, but those are the big items that need addressing at or before 200k. IMO.

After looking a little more closely at the undercarriage, there’s a bit more rust than what I’d be comfortable with- so it’s back to the drawing board! Thank you everyone for your input!

Too bad about the rust, but that would be the one deal breaker for me.

I saw your asking about 200k miles, and wanted to add my .02. 200k is nothing if cared for and not rusty. We bought our 2008 (Land Cruiser not LX) with 202k on it 6 years ago for about $22k. It's been across the country 4 times since, and is our main family adventure travel vehicle. I've replaced every fluid personally (some multiple times). It now has 276k miles on it, and still is running great.

We had one issue with coil pack 1 going out twice within 1000 miles, but that turned out to be overdue spark plugs (probably never been changed). New plugs and a new OEM coil and good as new for the last 20k miles.

I wouldn't worry about 200k miles on a cared for truck, but know that you're buying a ~15 year old vehicle with 200k miles. It may need some small amount of love here and there, but if you take care of it it should give you years of trouble free service.

Too bad about the rust, but that would be the one deal breaker for me.

I saw your asking about 200k miles, and wanted to add my .02. 200k is nothing if cared for and not rusty. We bought our 2008 (Land Cruiser not LX) with 202k on it 6 years ago for about $22k. It's been across the country 4 times since, and is our main family adventure travel vehicle. I've replaced every fluid personally (some multiple times). It now has 276k miles on it, and still is running great.

We had one issue with coil pack 1 going out twice within 1000 miles, but that turned out to be overdue spark plugs (probably never been changed). New plugs and a new OEM coil and good as new for the last 20k miles.

I wouldn't worry about 200k miles on a cared for truck, but know that you're buying a ~15 year old vehicle with 200k miles. It may need some small amount of love here and there, but if you take care of it it should give you years of trouble free service.
Great feedback thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom