Value of a pig. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The best real world useable FJ55 will have modifications from OEM. Toyota had good designs on certain systems and very poor designs on others. Not all of the bad designs were 100% their fault, there was some governmental restrictions on certain options that were available in other countries that were not available in US markets. Compound that with modern road/highway systems and speed limits, it’s little wonder why stock 55’s leave most people “wanting”.
I definitely agree that there are some very hack modifications done by people, and we’ve all seen them, but it’s not the norm or the majority. If a modification is complete and passes a visual inspection, ideally has some records, then depending on the requirements of the buyer, that can add a lot of value. Power steering, V8’s, and suspension modifications made to accommodate larger than stock 28” - 31” tires, can all be done right, tidy, and add value if a buyer is looking in that direction.

The majority of these polished up vehicles, behind the fresh paint, they're total hack jobs.
No not all of em, but certainly the majority of them are.
How do you know what the majority is? From what I see on MUD, most are well done mods and would bring far more money and enjoyment out of them than a stock wagon. Look on Bring A Trailer and tell me how many truly stock Cruisers go through it, most are modified and bring great money. I'm not talking about one the FJ Co. or ICON, but one a regular guy would build. Nuff said
Top monetary value isn't returned by modified pigs.

Meticulous restorations are nice for future museum pieces, but otherwise they’re going to sit in a warehouse - never gonna see a dirt road, never gonna get taken camping, never gonna go hunting or fishing - too much risk involved in losing value because of a scratch or paint chip. So what’s the point?

An imperfect rig, suited to someone’s needs, will be used. That IS the point. That is value - actual purpose.
Sitting in my garages are examples of both sides of this discussion. I am the original owner of a 54-year-old fairly rare Porsche that is 99% stock (with the minor changes unnoticeable and easily reversed with retained OEM parts). Other than a 5,000 mile trip from Colorado to the length of the West Coast immediately after a 2015-2016 bare metal redo, it probably hasn't had more than 1,000 miles since. It's become one hell of an investment and will be sold this year simply because I'm tired of the lack of personal joy of ownership that comes from the frequent use it once enjoyed.
There's also the "Frankencruiser" with mods listed in my sig line. It's taken us 50,000+ miles to every western state sans OR and WA, numerous Pig Parties, camping, hunting and just general pleasure travel since initial assembly almost 15 years ago. Some Pigs on this forum have been up on blocks that long, the search for perfection being the enemy of the good. I can travel four lane highways comfortably above any speed limit and still crawl when necessary, get better gas mileage from a lighter weight and more powerful engine, find parts more inexpensively and virtually everywhere with the only bumps being the occasional need for some nearly unobtainable factory part still in use. It's admittedly a pretty basic old school build nowhere near the quality and technological advancements of what @RUSH55 is doing and @scrapdaddy and @J Mack have done. Kudos to @Hank Tank for actually taking his near perfect restored Pig on the road regularly, but I've spend enough time on a Pig bench seat and in vehicles that top out at 60 mph to know that no longer suits my needs.
There no doubt which vehicle in my garages is worth more money. And no doubt which one suits my needs more and brings more joy. Who's to say which "value" is more important?
As an aside, blanket claims that modded vehicles all have shoddy wiring, too much bondo, poorly executed work do little to help establish credibility for any other contentions good or bad. Finding any OEM Pig with the attention to detail and quality of build that equals the work of Rush, Ron or Jim would certainly be a challenge at $130,000 or any other price point.

Last edited:
I own a handful of cruisers. The one that holds the least monetary value is the one I will never sell because it means the most to me. That's the shoddily built, poorly executed, rusty pig named Bucky. Just goes to show value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beerholder. :beer::beer::beer:

Don't forget Ole Red or Blue...
Hey Bob, how could we forget yours. 😍 Riderjgs summed it pretty damn good. We all know what's what when it comes to 55s. One guy popping off doesn't change a thing in the sty. :beer:
Old Blue is truly unforgettable!!! As are you and Remy. Two certifiable lugnuts driving a stock Pig from New Hampshire to Colorado, mostly with no clutch and brakes on only three wheels, while sitting on a worn out bench seat...how could anyone forget? Out and back in less than a week and staying only one night at the original Pig Party in Rico. Epic! Easily $130,000 worth of stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom