Builds 1982 Wyoming FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't have a scratch but had my seat belt on, but the front fenders were bent and the turn signals were broke. Had dents on the top between the split line and side windows. The roof bent over the DS windshield and the gutter was bent on the PS from a CB antenna.

Right now all the fenders, hood, aprons and the grill are gone. It is sitting on jack stands and ready to put the FJ60 converted full floating axle back with new Alcan springs. I did a big brake kit that widened the track to close to the rear axle. The F155 motor is exposed that I am trying to harvest the bell housing and flywheel. If the metal restore do not free up the pistons I have a mag base drill with hogan bits that be used to relive the pressure so I can rotate the crank. Rebuilt the 4-speed and the transfer case sold to a member in GA.
There is the typical rust in the back at the sill. The rust is not really that bad for a 45 year old truck but it is just on the list of things to fix. I have a Cummins R2.8 sitting next to it with a H55F transmission and split transfer case. I need to get the parts that are stacking up installed.
sounds like an awesome build!

Replaced the starter with an OEM gear reduction unit. While I was under there I pulled the oil pan and replaced the gasket. It appeared to be leaking out the front of the pan and running down everything behind it. Cleaned and repainted the pan and flywheel cover so I can tell if it’s still leaking from another location. Used OEM gasket and torqued as per manual. Pan was in excellent shape and flange was flat so I hope we’re in good shape. This is my 4th 40 and first one that still has all of its skid plates and heat shields. I pulled and refurbed a couple of those as well.

View attachment 3514207
So when you're restoring an oil pan, make sure you replace the plug gasket, lol. I didn't think about it. I drove it around to get everything warm and moving to make sure it wasn't leaking. Parked it on clean cardboard to I could catch drips if any. Next morning there was a sizable puddle. Too much for a brand new pan gasket. Crawled underneath and the oil pain is super clean. It's dripping from the plug. Made a gasket for now, but ordered some OEM gaskets to do it right. Rookie error of omission.

Refreshed the white paint on the wiper pull and replaced the switch so it works again. Sure wish the PO hadn't have cut the dash for this deluxe radio - at least I'm guessing he did. Removing it is on my list.
IMG_4220.jpg

Replacing FJ40 windshield. I have done it twice on a 40 and this method is pretty fast and fairly easy.

First, put your new oem gasket in the oven at about 100 degrees for a while. I put mine in the oven, then went out and removed the windshield while it warmed up. I should have taken a picture of how I cut, but using a new razor blade I cut around the glass about 1/2-3/4 in from the gasket edge on the outside. Glass popped out and removal the rest of the seal was easy at that point.
IMG_4320.jpg

I removed the wipers just so they weren't in the way. After 30 minutes or so in the oven the rubber was softer and easier to work with. I did this before without warming up the gasket - warming it made it quite a bit easier. Once on the windshield I tucked some nylon rope in the gasket groove that is supposed to wrap around the fin in the windshield frame. You'll want rope about as thick as you see here. I tried with some thinner stuff on my '79 and it didn't work well.

IMG_4322.jpg

Once I had it all prepped I warmed up the gasket again with my heat gun on low heat and a helper with her blow dryer. Using a spray bottle of dawn dish soap, I lightly coated the gasket and the windsheild frame.
IMG_4324.jpg

I didn't have a spare hand to take pictures, but then we positioned the glass in the frame. I had my helper apply pressure from the outside while I pulled the rope around the perimeter and seated the gasket as I went. I did the bottom first, then worked clockwise to finish the rest. The soap made it slip into place quite easily. Last time I did this, I had the windshield frame on the table in the house and didn't heat up the gasket - it was much more difficult. It's nice to have a clear windshield without cracks. Replaced the wiper blades while I was at it. I noticed that the wiper speed is the same on both settings - anyone know what to check to fix that? Brand new oem wiper switch a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_4328.jpg

I swear I have a spot for a spacer on my BJ74 rear view, but I’ve never seen one mentioned.
Yeah, never seen one on any of the cruisers I have owned. This 40 seems to be much more complete than those I have had in the past.

It was over here on the east side of the Wind Rivers. We had a lot mud from the melting then rain and a little snow. It is a mess on my place.

It was over here on the east side of the Wind Rivers. We had a lot mud from the melting then rain and a little snow. It is a mess on my place.
yeah, been a strange winter to so far. Haven't gotten my snowmobile out for a few weeks since the weather has not been great (as far as snowfall I mean) Finally took it out Saturday for a minute. Got a little confident riding in some tight trees and crashed into one. Looks like cruiser time this week will be taken up by replacing the bumper on my sled. 😂 luckily that was the only damage.

yeah, been a strange winter to so far. Haven't gotten my snowmobile out for a few weeks since the weather has not been great (as far as snowfall I mean) Finally took it out Saturday for a minute. Got a little confident riding in some tight trees and crashed into one. Looks like cruiser time this week will be taken up by replacing the bumper on my sled. 😂 luckily that was the only damage.
The last time I rode a sled was on Spirit Lake in the Uinta's and it was on the ice doing donuts until the friction suddenly went up and rolled the sled. Cracked the cowling and broke the starter switch that was a 3 wire and the spare was a 2 wire. I was not invited back.

The last time I rode a sled was on Spirit Lake in the Uinta's and it was on the ice doing donuts until the friction suddenly went up and rolled the sled. Cracked the cowling and broke the starter switch that was a 3 wire and the spare was a 2 wire. I was not invited back.
Ha ha. sounds like a memorable day.

Decided to upgrade my mirror to the type that can be tilted to avoid the glare of headlights behind you. Replaced the cover and the absorber at the same time.

Toyota Parts
Absorber 87828-12010
Mirror Assembly 87810-90801
Mirror Mount Cover 87834-14011-03

IMG_4671.jpg

How does the absorber connect to the mirror arm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom