Builds 1982 Wyoming FJ40 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just my luck the starter gave out just a couple of days after I bought the 40. Waiting on a new one from @cruiseroutfit.

More snow than expect this weekend. I need to do some garage shuffling and get this inside.
IMG_4056.jpeg

Wow. Being from Alabama, that snow is crazy. That is more than I have seen in my entire life combined. Love the 82 Jake, The dash is near perfect. I always liked the 80s year models steering wheel too. I am sure this one will look every bit as good as the 79!

Wow. Being from Alabama, that snow is crazy. That is more than I have seen in my entire life combined. Love the 82 Jake, The dash is near perfect. I always liked the 80s year models steering wheel too. I am sure this one will look every bit as good as the 79!
Oh man, we’re just getting started with snow😂

Thanks, regretted selling my 60 last year pretty bad so I had been looking for a replacement 60. But then this one popped up locally, My mom drove an ‘82 when I was a kid so some things about this one brought back memories - felt like I needed to rescue it.

Hope you got good money for that 60. When I was starting my build thread on my FJ40 today, I looked back on my history on Mud and one my threads was asking if 8500 was too much for a 60 that was Uber clean. My how times have changed. You definitely need to be working in a garage!

Picked up another project that I'm not ready for but couldn't resist. This one spent its life since new in the Tetons exploring local mountains and fishing holes. The owner apparently did not hesitate driving it to the ski hill in the winter either - Low miles but it needs a new back half tub. Runs and drives great. The dash is amazingly clean and original, under the hood appears to be 100% original. 12 degrees this morning and it started right up first crank. It needs some TLC. Seems like it should stay close to where it grew up so I brought it home.

View attachment 3489542
View attachment 3489543
View attachment 3489544
I remember seeing that truck on the pass and all around the westbank. It was parked at the trial creek xc on old pass a fair bit as well. Solid valley truck for sure. Thought about chasing the owner down to make an offer, but that rust scared me off.

Love the stripes, don’t lose them.

I remember seeing that truck on the pass and all around the westbank. It was parked at the trial creek xc on old pass a fair bit as well. Solid valley truck for sure. Thought about chasing the owner down to make an offer, but that rust scared me off.

Love the stripes, don’t lose them.
Yeah the rust on the rear is a bummer. Front half is in really good shape. I’ll probably replace most of the back tub. Might have to reproduce the striping if I can’t save it during repairs. I probably bit off more than I can chew.

Replaced the starter with an OEM gear reduction unit. While I was under there I pulled the oil pan and replaced the gasket. It appeared to be leaking out the front of the pan and running down everything behind it. Cleaned and repainted the pan and flywheel cover so I can tell if it’s still leaking from another location. Used OEM gasket and torqued as per manual. Pan was in excellent shape and flange was flat so I hope we’re in good shape. This is my 4th 40 and first one that still has all of its skid plates and heat shields. I pulled and refurbed a couple of those as well.

IMG_4159.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone have some recommendations on a quality 1/2 tub? Having just done a ton of patching on another 40, I'm thinking that maybe I just need to bite the bullet and replace the whole back half.
I could only recommend the parts I successfully used in my 2006-07 frame-off resto: CCOT body parts.
It seems that we have more choices nowadays, the Chinese being the newest development, but we still have very few reviews on them, IMHO...

Last edited:
I could only recommend the parts I successfully used in my 2006-07 frame-off resto: CCOT body parts.
It seems that we have more choices nowadays, the Chinese being the newest development, but we still have very few reviews on them, IMHO...

Yeah i used CCOT panels on my 79 and they were great. Sounds like other options are not quite there for quality yet.

Just my luck the starter gave out just a couple of days after I bought the 40. Waiting on a new one from @cruiseroutfit.

More snow than expect this weekend. I need to do some garage shuffling and get this inside.
View attachment 3497899
That looks like last year on the other side of the Wind Rivers in Riverton, we got more then Lander did. This year it has not been so much but it is still early.

That looks like last year on the other side of the Wind Rivers in Riverton, we got more then Lander did. This year it has not been so much but it is still early.
Yeah I'm not too far from you. We've been chomping at the bit to get the sleds out. More weekends for cruiser mods I guess but I hope more snow comes soon!

Replaced the starter with an OEM gear reduction unit. While I was under there I pulled the oil pan and replaced the gasket. It appeared to be leaking out the front of the pan and running down everything behind it. Cleaned and repainted the pan and flywheel cover so I can tell if it’s still leaking from another location. Used OEM gasket and torqued as per manual. Pan was in excellent shape and flange was flat so I hope we’re in good shape. This is my 4th 40 and first one that still has all of its skid plates and heat shields. I pulled and refurbed a couple of those as well.

View attachment 3514207
I was renting my Parents house in Green River and working construction and my started went out and it was -24 and was replacing it. I heard a camera shutter click and I looked behind me and there as a photographer from the Rocket-Minor walking around taking photos.

I missed a days work, the price of the started and my pictures in the Rocket-Minor.

Yeah I'm not too far from you. We've been chomping at the bit to get the sleds out. More weekends for cruiser mods I guess but I hope more snow comes soon!
Your over by Jackson are you not?

I spent a month in Switzerland and just got back last week. My Wife had the tractor out opening the road to the highway while I was gone.

I need to get out in the barn and work on my 78 FJ40 because I have to may parts stacked up and running out of room. I will be parking my truck outside soon. I just don't want to burn the propane to warm up the barn. The summer time it gets hot out there and I work if few hours a day on it.

Your over by Jackson are you not?

I spent a month in Switzerland and just got back last week. My Wife had the tractor out opening the road to the highway while I was gone.

I need to get out in the barn and work on my 78 FJ40 because I have to may parts stacked up and running out of room. I will be parking my truck outside soon. I just don't want to burn the propane to warm up the barn. The summer time it gets hot out there and I work if few hours a day on it.
I'm in Star Valley just south of Jackson. I love that you're the original owner of your 78 - probably not many original owners still hanging on to their truck.

Changing that starter wasn't a bad job, but it would be in -24! I'd like to see the pics the photographer took. I'll bet that was a memorable repair for you. How was Switzerland? We had a trip to Switzerland booked for spring of 2020 - obviously that didn't happen. Just got back from a couple of week in Scotland/England which is always a good time.

I'm in Star Valley just south of Jackson. I love that you're the original owner of your 78 - probably not many original owners still hanging on to their truck.

Changing that starter wasn't a bad job, but it would be in -24! I'd like to see the pics the photographer took. I'll bet that was a memorable repair for you. How was Switzerland? We had a trip to Switzerland booked for spring of 2020 - obviously that didn't happen. Just got back from a couple of week in Scotland/England which is always a good time.
I like that area around Star Valley.

I am a native of Wyoming and -24 could be considered a warm winter day. I was dressed for it and -28 was worse on a chair lift at Teton Village.

Most people spoke English which helped me out a lot. I was like Portland, OR because we only saw the sun 2 days and it rained most of the time. It did snow some but did not last because of the rain and warmed back up into the 40s.

Yes I bought my FJ40 when I was 20 and it stood up to all of my abuse that a young man could provide until the day I totaled it and the the F350. I have had it up to the Union Pass road trails near Du Boise twice and came back with very little damage from the rocks. But a Friend would end up with damage to his full size trucks. He caved in the side of the bed between the cab and the rear axle on a long bed and when we went up there he sliced a hole in the cab on a bolder and on the way in a bolder got hung up and came out of the ground. On the way out we did not like the bolder just sitting there and could roll at any time. We stopped at the bottom of the hill and climbed up to roll it out of the way but it rolled right into the front of his truck. I rolled it on the way to work out at Jim Bridger Power Plant during a spring blizzard and I did not have a scratch. The are a very well build truck and would not want anything else.

I like that area around Star Valley.

I am a native of Wyoming and -24 could be considered a warm winter day. I was dressed for it and -28 was worse on a chair lift at Teton Village.

Most people spoke English which helped me out a lot. I was like Portland, OR because we only saw the sun 2 days and it rained most of the time. It did snow some but did not last because of the rain and warmed back up into the 40s.

Yes I bought my FJ40 when I was 20 and it stood up to all of my abuse that a young man could provide until the day I totaled it and the the F350. I have had it up to the Union Pass road trails near Du Boise twice and came back with very little damage from the rocks. But a Friend would end up with damage to his full size trucks. He caved in the side of the bed between the cab and the rear axle on a long bed and when we went up there he sliced a hole in the cab on a bolder and on the way in a bolder got hung up and came out of the ground. On the way out we did not like the bolder just sitting there and could roll at any time. We stopped at the bottom of the hill and climbed up to roll it out of the way but it rolled right into the front of his truck. I rolled it on the way to work out at Jim Bridger Power Plant during a spring blizzard and I did not have a scratch. The are a very well build truck and would not want anything else.
Sounds like you've had some fun adventures in it! What's it looking like these days? How did you manage to roll it without a scratch?

Sounds like you've had some fun adventures in it! What's it looking like these days? How did you manage to roll it without a scratch?
I didn't have a scratch but had my seat belt on, but the front fenders were bent and the turn signals were broke. Had dents on the top between the split line and side windows. The roof bent over the DS windshield and the gutter was bent on the PS from a CB antenna.

Right now all the fenders, hood, aprons and the grill are gone. It is sitting on jack stands and ready to put the FJ60 converted full floating axle back with new Alcan springs. I did a big brake kit that widened the track to close to the rear axle. The F155 motor is exposed that I am trying to harvest the bell housing and flywheel. If the metal restore do not free up the pistons I have a mag base drill with hogan bits that be used to relive the pressure so I can rotate the crank. Rebuilt the 4-speed and the transfer case sold to a member in GA.
There is the typical rust in the back at the sill. The rust is not really that bad for a 45 year old truck but it is just on the list of things to fix. I have a Cummins R2.8 sitting next to it with a H55F transmission and split transfer case. I need to get the parts that are stacking up installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom