Builds Wyoming 1979 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New emblems and lights. Refurbed bumperettes.

IMG-2819.jpg

Finally got my rebuilt motor back. They had my motor for about 8 months and 7 of those months were waiting for parts. Man a Fre ceramic coated headers going on. Sniper EFI to come. The Y pipe on these headers is a mess and will have to be refabbed. Kinda wish I would have gone another route.

View attachment 3340494

How far the collector for the back three is would have hard time doing anything but keep it inside the frame or below the skid plate. I'm in AZ and don't need the extra heat header being put off in the engine bay. I installed a header in my 68 and removed it a few years later. That was over thirty years ago.

New emblems and lights. Refurbed bumperettes.

View attachment 3341192

Back end looks great. What's on the back floor that would bother me. Do you still have the original exhaust manifold? Hoping within a couple of years we will get a version of 1/79 and later exhaust available. Figure can find some heat shields in a pick and pull salvage yard. One thing I always like about OEM exhaust it's an easy do it yourself being flanges or clamps holding pieces together.

Finally got my rebuilt motor back. They had my motor for about 8 months and 7 of those months were waiting for parts. Man a Fre ceramic coated headers going on. Sniper EFI to come. The Y pipe on these headers is a mess and will have to be refabbed. Kinda wish I would have gone another route.

View attachment 3340494
Who did the rebuild on the engine? I'm in Utah and i've been considering doing it myself but it would be nice to drop it off and pick it up done.

How far the collector for the back three is would have hard time doing anything but keep it inside the frame or below the skid plate. I'm in AZ and don't need the extra heat header being put off in the engine bay. I installed a header in my 68 and removed it a few years later. That was over thirty years ago.

Back end looks great. What's on the back floor that would bother me. Do you still have the original exhaust manifold? Hoping within a couple of years we will get a version of 1/79 and later exhaust available. Figure can find some heat shields in a pick and pull salvage yard. One thing I always like about OEM exhaust it's an easy do it yourself being flanges or clamps holding pieces together.
Yeah, after your pics of the heat shields the other day I sent a few emails out to some salvage outfits that specialize in cruisers. So far no luck. I don't have any of the original exhaust. I'm just going to have an exhaust shop weld something up for me that will likely be similar to factory routing. I put these Man-a-Fre headers on but the Y pipe is not even close to working. Something custom will have to be fabricated.

Who did the rebuild on the engine? I'm in Utah and i've been considering doing it myself but it would be nice to drop it off and pick it up done.
I had a place called Troy's Engine out of Rigby do the work. They had worked on my brother's FJ45 and he was really happy with how it turned out. I spoke with them at length about different options and ended up having them increase the horsepower with some different pistons and an RV cam upgrade. I haven't been able to drive mine yet, so I'm not sure the end result. I've got to get my exhaust finished up so I can complete the sniper install and get it running.

I had a place called Troy's Engine out of Rigby do the work. They had worked on my brother's FJ45 and he was really happy with how it turned out. I spoke with them at length about different options and ended up having them increase the horsepower with some different pistons and an RV cam upgrade. I haven't been able to drive mine yet, so I'm not sure the end result. I've got to get my exhaust finished up so I can complete the sniper install and get it running.
Thanks.

I know this is typically frowned upon - however, my odometer hasn't worked since the day I bought the 40 in 2001. No idea when it stopped working. It has said 53k miles for the last 20 years. Who knows how many times the odo flipped before it quit working. It always cracks me up when I see ads for old cruisers with "only 65k original miles!!" in the description because 9/10 the odo has likely flipped at least once.

Anyway, I'd like my odometer to work. It wasn't anywhere near accurate and I figured it would be nice to know how many miles since the freshly rebuilt motor. So, I took apart the odometer, cleaned up the gears and reset to 0. I hope it will actually flip over now. Should know soon.

IMG-2820.jpg

I know this is typically frowned upon - however, my odometer hasn't worked since the day I bought the 40 in 2001. No idea when it stopped working. It has said 53k miles for the last 20 years. Who knows how many times the odo flipped before it quit working. It always cracks me up when I see ads for old cruisers with "only 65k original miles!!" in the description because 9/10 the odo has likely flipped at least once.

Anyway, I'd like my odometer to work. It wasn't anywhere near accurate and I figured it would be nice to know how many miles since the freshly rebuilt motor. So, I took apart the odometer, cleaned up the gears and reset to 0. I hope it will actually flip over now. Should know soon.

View attachment 3342093
Everything is turning out great on your cruiser. Your work is extremely impressive.

Ha, I’ve been meaning to change that. I’ve lived on both sides, but now live in Jackson. I’m finishing up my own 68 40. Should be ready sometime this summer. I would love to get together for a drive. Not many of us around here. 😄
Ha ha, ok. Glad I didn't bash the Jackson side then.:confused: I'm down in Star Valley. My brother and one other guy I know has a 40, but yeah not many cruiser guys around. We do see a whole lot of 'overland' rigs passing through the valley headed your way. I'd love to check out your 68 when you get it running. I'm hoping to be driving mine in the next month or two.

Ha ha, ok. Glad I didn't bash the Jackson side then.:confused: I'm down in Star Valley. My brother and one other guy I know has a 40, but yeah not many cruiser guys around. We do see a whole lot of 'overland' rigs passing through the valley headed your way. I'd love to check out your 68 when you get it running. I'm hoping to be driving mine in the next month or two.
I totally get the bashing. Plus, it’s well deserved. This place is going nuts.
Our timelines to get our rigs running are roughly the same. I’ll stay in touch. Going to be fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom