Builds Clifford is home again- a 1965 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Peeked up at a couple cylinder walls . I have no idea on the actual mileage of this engine as it was a factory replacement in the 80s and can’t trust these old odometers. Hopefully this is normal wall wear for an old motor?
View attachment 3549079

View attachment 3549080
That looks like normal wear from the skirts. Also appears to have been maintained with regular oil changes. Very nice!

What you don't want to see is a nice polished mirror surface. How sharp is that edge at the bottom of the cylinder wall? I'd be curious to know if any FJ40 engine builders radius that liner edge to help avoid the skirts getting damaged and causing scratches.

Do you have a borescope to check out the rest of the cylinder wall? How far are you going in here haha?

Appears normal to me. As long as those makrs are superficial, you're good. Can you catch fingernal on them? Double check the oickup tube screen nut, it looks loose. Good time to clean the screen while you're in there.
I’ll give that a test and see.
That looks like normal wear from the skirts. Also appears to have been maintained with regular oil changes. Very nice!

What you don't want to see is a nice polished mirror surface. How sharp is that edge at the bottom of the cylinder wall? I'd be curious to know if any FJ40 engine builders radius that liner edge to help avoid the skirts getting damaged and causing scratches.

Do you have a borescope to check out the rest of the cylinder wall? How far are you going in here haha?
Glad to hear this. I’ll check the bottom edge and report back. Besides replacing the rear main seal and this very leaky oil pan gasket, this is as deep as I go on the engine. Please hahahaha.
At idle I have a bit of an unsteady vacuum reading, which after talking with @mattressking , seems like maybe it could be a valve thing. But the engine really runs great and seems happy.

At idle I have a bit of an unsteady vacuum reading…
IMG_1639.png

Ok after seeing that diagram, maybe my fluttering is normal. I have seen other videos and their gauge needles are not moving at all. So that made me think mine was not normal. I’ll post a video of mine. Mine wobbles like 0.5” in either direction… so maybe my gauge is just not a smooth. :meh:

Been plugging away at the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. I also located a 4speed flywheel a couple hours away. A local cruiserhead offered it up and I couldn't say no. Such a great community.

Just got it back from resurfacing:
IMG_7594.jpg

Good eye @Wildcat Walker on the oil pickup screen. The nut was pretty loose! I checked the screen, nothing really on it and I snugged down the nut.
IMG_7574.jpeg

Time for the rear main seal. Once that bearing cap was off it was super easy to put on the new one. I cleaned the surfaces really well and made sure no particulates were on it, coated in fresh oil and reinstalled. I torqued the bolts to 87ftlbs per the FSM.
IMG_7590.jpeg

IMG_7591.jpeg

IMG_7592.jpeg

Currently doing the fun job of scraping off the old pan gasket material from the block and I need to flatten some dips on the pan surface before install.

Making progress on the slave cylinder adapter! We have some early hoses on order from @Racer65 and copper seal washers on the way as well from Belmetric.
IMG_2346.jpeg

It was a beautiful ferry ride out to collect the flywheel this weekend. We get a few nice days here in February usually. The sun, the blue sky , it was much appreciated. :D
IMG_7571.gif

Parts supplier on Bainbridge? :p

Been plugging away at the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. I also located a 4speed flywheel a couple hours away. A local cruiserhead offered it up and I couldn't say no. Such a great community.

Just got it back from resurfacing:
View attachment 3551916
Good eye @Wildcat Walker on the oil pickup screen. The nut was pretty loose! I checked the screen, nothing really on it and I snugged down the nut.
View attachment 3551917
Time for the rear main seal. Once that bearing cap was off it was super easy to put on the new one. I cleaned the surfaces really well and made sure no particulates were on it, coated in fresh oil and reinstalled. I torqued the bolts to 87ftlbs per the FSM.
View attachment 3551919
View attachment 3551920
View attachment 3551921
Currently doing the fun job of scraping off the old pan gasket material from the block and I need to flatten some dips on the pan surface before install.
Did you happen to snap a pic of the bearing surface? 😃

Wait..what? There's a Cruiser parts person here on the peninsula? Do tell!

I'm right smack in between Bainbridge Island and PTT.

Wait..what? There's a Cruiser parts person here on the peninsula? Do tell!

I'm right smack in between Bainbridge Island and PTT.
Oh no, sorry. He is not a parts supplier. Just a super nice cruiser guy that had an extra flywheel.

We have contact! :D Where there is a will, there is a way! You will have to pry my tin cup MC from my cold dead hands. :lol:
Copper seals will be used.
hosetoslave.jpg

Chase: Reading your thread, I believe that you disconnected your parking brake at the firewall for removal of the trans/T-case. This is the approach that I would like to implement as well. Is it pretty self-explanatory, or are there any tips/tricks? I've dealt with the other end of the cable but never messed with the business end. Looks like 2 M88 bolts attach a bracket to the engine side of the firewall and a bolt attaches the cable to the pull lever under the dash.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom