1978 FJ55 BATPIG (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brush guard reworked.

I’ve allways thought the FJ55 bumper sat low and forward. It needs something upright to bridge the gap.

Relocated the lower tube up, added nuts on the tube mounts for more thickness and drain holes.
Lower where it wraps under will get a 3rd tab to attach to the bottom of the bumper.

Ditched the rubber pads on it. Pass side of the bumper will get portapowered back into place. Extra holes in bumper filled.

The piece had some stampings. SOR used to make a similar piece with a huge guard for the 40-series, maybe they made them for 55s, too.(?)

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3443.jpeg

2E18E8CD-E132-4221-B509-EAA4F5065D88.jpeg

IMG_3426.jpeg

IMG_3427.jpeg

Congrats on the purchase. i considered bidding but couldn't get past the faux patina and unknown mileage.

Question for the sty: the fender vents are different. The DS is open, the PS is closed. Should these be the same and if so, what’s “correct” for an April 1978 build? There is also a pass through in the DS inner fender that I don’t think belongs there. Opinions?

I know that '78 & '79 had one open and one closed fender vent. IIRC the open vent was on the driver's side as an air source for the carb fan. Just confirming what others thought.

Good luck!

Congrats on the purchase. i considered bidding but couldn't get past the faux patina and unknown mileage.

Does anyone know the true mileage of a 46 year-old truck?

The faux patina is mostly confined to the roof. The guy working on it is a self-described patina critic and he thinks it looks good. (I have yet to be within 800 mikes of it, but I’ll take his word.)

This suburban is his personal project atm.
I know that '78 & '79 had one open and one closed fender vent. IIRC the open vent was on the driver's side as an air source for the carb fan. Just confirming what others thought.

Yeah, I already bought the replacement carb fan.

IMG_3416.jpeg

Does anyone know the true mileage of a 46 year-old truck?

I have a '78 40 that had the original working speedo cable still in it. I know the mileage and the internal wear on the drivetrain was copacetic. Had it 25+ years.

I have a 50 year old K20 with known mileage. I'm the second owner. Had it 33 years.

In many cases you're right though, and your new 55 falls into the category of "not beat on but been around the horn more than once". As long as you're okay with it then all's good. I wasn't.

The faux patina is mostly confined to the roof. The guy working on it is a self-described patina critic and he thinks it looks good. (I have yet to be within 800 mikes of it, but I’ll take his word.)

This suburban is his personal project atm.

Ew. Plenty of repainted panels and fakery on the Sub if you asked me.

Here's what it looked like before the sanding and clearcoat...

Pre sanding.png

All I saw was a sanding/clearcoat, lift/tires, engine detailing, and a wash-n-spray of the frame and running gear. I don't have deep enough pockets to pay for things I can do myself. That and the seller only "admits" to 1000 miles driven in five years but never corrected the odo? Hmmm. Everyone knows that the best 40/55s are the ones with sub 100K mileage. You don't want to crack that mark if you're planning on a flip.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade at all. I just threw in my reasons for passing... and I could easily be wrong. Different strokes for different folks is all.

Enjoy the new drive! :steer:

Yeah, I already bought the replacement carb fan.

👍

I have a '78 40 that had the original working speedo cable still in it. I know the mileage and the internal wear on the drivetrain was copacetic. Had it 25+ years.

We have 2 FJ62s that I'm pretty sure we know the 'original' milage on. We're the second owner on the 89, and we bought the 88 from TLC back in 2004.

I have a small collection of fj55s that I've never been concerned about the milage.
Here's what it looked like before the sanding and clearcoat...

View attachment 3542376
Yup, but this was an opportunity to get to a running/driving pig, that appears to be 'questionable stock'.

Everyone knows that the best 40/55s are the ones with sub 100K mileage. You don't want to crack that mark if you're planning on a flip.
don't know that I'll flip it, but I get your take.

Last edited:
Top of bumper wobbles fixed. Extra holes gone, finished it to 150grit, as it's the most seen angle and part.
Will probably add a PS Toyota tow hook to match the DS, holes are there already.

Should look like new all powdercoated. When the grille and rear bumper are done, then all those pieces can go to the powder coat place. They've already ordered the "Vegas Gold".

IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3525.jpeg
IMG_3524.jpeg

I’ve always thought the FJ55 bumper sat low and forward. It needs something upright to bridge the gap.
ConFer bumpers were similar in giving some height...

And man, that's a lot of clamping power in that bench :)

20230711_172656.jpg

You need some more Clamps 🤔🧐😯😲😳😘🤣. I love the patina ( lot cheaper than painting now a days!) My 79 f250 has Original patina burnt in by the heat in Cali, i also believe the miles are original as the body lines are straight and true and also has paint under carpeted floor. 78 fj55 has patina and i like it. Has over 200,000 miles and i know it's accurate because original owner kept a log from the day he bought it 😳😲😯😘.

Love the Niagra Shear? s*** was built to last! Circa 40s? 🤔🧐😘

1929 Niagara model 362.
Model 362 is 50" cut, 10g capacity.
Model 362 ran from 1907-1937.

Weighs about 3,000lbs.
Shears 4' of 10ga without a hesitation.

95 years old. Was designed to cut nonstop at full capacity. New machines cant do that for 10years.

Was originally belt-driven off an overhead jack shaft. Someone in the past converted it to a 3-ph motor.

“Made before stupid people.”

IMG_3574.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg

IMG_3576.jpeg

IMG_3575.jpeg

IMG_3578.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom