2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2016 LC, 2019 V8 X7 (not the M50), and a 2022 LX600 F-sport. The X7 is nice, but its not the same quality as the other two. I like the acceleration and the massage seats, but other than that it is just okay. Good tech and nice interior, but let's not act like its a beauty. The LC definitely has the most soul. The LX is comfortable and quiet and feels incredibly solid - though it only has about 3500 miles. BTW, the BMW has never left us stranded, but has been to shop for all variety of issues (broken third row seats, cruise control failure, couple of turbo issues, and some other sensor gremlins) with only 35k miles. I plan to part ways with it before 4 years, as I always have with BMWs, but my wife likes it so we might get another.

This an interesting POV. I went and checked out the X7, it felt really nice, drove really nice but flimsy from front to back.

Pressed on hard plastics and it squeaked. The chassis of vehicle felt soft/fragile compared to my old 570 (I’ve 600 now) which is a rock solid frame. Left the dealership and never looked back.

I know LC/ LX feels soulless, behind in convenience aspects compared to other flashy options in the market but they are over engineered vehicles with impeccable build quality.

I respect your experience but the chassis was fragile?
You realize the monocoque is way better in every single way to body on frame, including safety and rigidity right? Literally anything outside of articulation you don’t want body on frame or a solid axle.
Handling, comfort, isolation, efficiency… there is a reason that body on frame is dying.

Also im seriously not holding my breath regarding anything with forced induction being remotely as dependable as 2UZ or 3FE. Even remotely close.

The sales people get to you or something?

Whenever i hear flashy options mentioned as a detriment i have to wonder how you emded up in the new lx 600.

no offense but you dont make a shred of sense.

Last edited:
I respect your experience but the chassis was fragile?
You realize the monocoque is way better in every single way to body on frame, including safety and rigidity right? Literally anything outside of articulation you don’t want body on frame or a solid axle.
Handling, comfort, isolation, efficiency… there is a reason that body on frame is dying.

Also im seriously not holding my breath regarding anything with forced induction being remotely as dependable as 2UZ or 3FE. Even remotely close.

The sales people get to you or something?

Whenever i hear flashy options mentioned as a detriment i have to wonder how you emded up in the new lx 600.

no offense but you dont make a shred of sense.
None taken.

Maybe you should take your own advise and get into a beautiful X7?

None taken.

Maybe you should take your own advise and get into a beautiful X7?

LOL Hell nah.
Need a little city EV though.
With more range than the LX.

When reliability is ubiquitous I'm not looking at lexus with rose tinted glasses.
BMW has some sweet little coupes though.

Regarding the comment a page or so back about the GX competing with G-wagon sales, that seems highly unlikely unless they go nuts with fancy leather, a much more powerful engine, and the MSRP jumps to $150K+. But that's not going to happen because it will be more expensive than the LX... I doubt that anyone who is seriously considering a G-wagon is cross shopping the GX.

I could see Toyota bringing something similar to the FJ Cruiser back and calling it the Land Cruiser or bringing the Prado in as the Land Cruiser replacement. If they take the FJ Cruiser approach, I hope they make it look much more like an FJ-40, similar to what Mercedes has managed to do with the G-wagon, and make sure it doesn't have massive blind spots from the rear quarter panels like the FJ Cruiser has.

A "Land Cruiser" trim level 4Runner as some have suggested doesn't make any sense to me as "Land Cruiser" has always been a model name, not a trim level. Completely replacing the 4Runner with Prado seems like an extremely risky move, given how popular the 4Runner has been.

Bringing the Land Cruiser 300 series back in top level trim would probably result in the same low sales numbers they ended the LC200 run with and lower trim levels to bring the price down would compete too much with the Sequoia.

But whatever they do, I hope they include trim levels / options that interest this crowd. Personally, I'd be happy if they had an off road versions of the GX, 4Runner, Prado, LX, or whatever model(s) they ultimately go with that has good approach, breakover, and departure angles (so no bumpers that are low to the ground) that can optionally include most of the luxury features (heated/cooled seats, big infotainment screens, etc.). It's always frustrating when you have to go with 22" wheels, 2nd row captain chairs, etc. to get a better audio system, nicer seats, etc.

You’re right it seems unlikely lexus could put out anything that would rival the cache of the G wagon. I’d argue the LC500 is up there with the SL but the g wagon is another story.

I don’t think it needs to be 150k to be g wagon like though. They could make a similar product around the 90-100k price point and probably sell a boatload.

I’m most curious about where this new North American “Land Cruiser” and the forthcoming GX are both built and if they are going to be same line or different altogether. I’m hoping one of them is built in Japan because my gut says nope. Everything good seems to come to an end these days.

You’re right it seems unlikely lexus could put out anything that would rival the cache of the G wagon. I’d argue the LC500 is up there with the SL but the g wagon is another story.

I don’t think it needs to be 150k to be g wagon like though. They could make a similar product around the 90-100k price point and probably sell a boatload.
Yeah, a product doesn't have to be a $150K+ G-wagon to be successful or to be something I'm interested in. I was just saying that such a product isn't really going to be competing for sales from the same group of buyers. If Toyota came out with something very G-wagon like (other than the crazy price), I would be extremely interested. I previously owned 3 G-wagons (2014 and 2016 G550's and a 2017 G63) and liked them a lot. But they were expensive to maintain and not at Toyota reliability levels. When they came out with the new revised model, the MSRP went into crazy territory by my standards. Ultimately, I decided that if I wanted to be able to retire, it made sense to trade the G63 in for the LC and after ~2.5 years, I still don't regret that decision.

Yeah, a product doesn't have to be a $150K+ G-wagon to be successful or to be something I'm interested in. I was just saying that such a product isn't really going to be competing for sales from the same group of buyers. If Toyota came out with something very G-wagon like (other than the crazy price), I would be extremely interested. I previously owned 3 G-wagons (2014 and 2016 G550's and a 2017 G63) and liked them a lot. But they were expensive to maintain and not at Toyota reliability levels. When they came out with the new revised model, the MSRP went into crazy territory by my standards. Ultimately, I decided that if I wanted to be able to retire, it made sense to trade the G63 in for the LC and after ~2.5 years, I still don't regret that decision.

Aren't some 500s or 550s (forget) years "bulletproof"? Thats what ive heard in the past, when i was in market.

Ok- so hopefully everyone has gotten their BMW and Mercedes thoughts taken care of - but what about the topic of this thread? Does anyone really think Toyota is going to bring back “a” Landcruiser to the USA in a few years?
Personally I don’t think so just based on a guess (not a salesman heard the manager heard the Director said)

Aren't some 500s or 550s (forget) years "bulletproof"? Thats what ive heard in the past, when i was in market.
They are all expensive to maintain and none of them are as reliable as a Toyota. The military version has less of the electronics to worry about. Owning one once the warranty expires would most likely do a good job of draining your wallet and any dealer maintenance or repairs are $$$ as the Mercedes tax is at play. Obviously, one doesn’t need to go to the dealer for oil changes, but there are some things only a dealer can handle. Another issue was parts availability - it took them close to a year to get replacements for cracked tail lights (covered by the warranty) and the long wait started before the pandemic.

Ok- so hopefully everyone has gotten their BMW and Mercedes thoughts taken care of - but what about the topic of this thread? Does anyone really think Toyota is going to bring back “a” Landcruiser to the USA in a few years?
Personally I don’t think so just based on a guess (not a salesman heard the manager heard the Director said)

Bingo

IMO:
Definitely NOT happening.
Axing the LC in the USA is actually one of the only thing i agree with Toyota doing in a long time.

I said 4 runner was 10-1 earlier, i was wrong. Truth is its much much worse than that.

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 12.21.12 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 12.21.42 PM.png

I think they definitely will, it’s just a question of what model we‘ll actually get. I’m not holding my breath expecting that what we get is something the IH8MUD community will be happy with.

Bingo

IMO:
Definitely NOT happening.
Axing the LC in the USA is actually one of the only thing i agree with Toyota doing in a long time.

I said 4 runner was 10-1 earlier, i was wrong. Truth is its much much worse than that.
Those numbers obviously tell a story that most of us already know, but it doesn’t mean that they won’t bring the LC back in a different package at a different price point which is what most of the speculation in this thread is about. I doubt that we’ll see a fully loaded LC300 that’s only a few thousand less than the Lexus version. The price was out of line with the rest of the products on a Toyota dealer lot AND too close to the Lexus version that has nicer leather, etc.

But we might see the Prado, a new FJ Cruiser, lower optioned LC 300 series, or something else.

Those numbers obviously tell a story that most of us already know, but it doesn’t mean that they won’t bring the LC back in a different package at a different price point which is what most of the speculation in this thread is about. I doubt that we’ll see a fully loaded LC300 that’s only a few thousand less than the Lexus version. The price was out of line with the rest of the products on a Toyota dealer lot AND too close to the Lexus version that has nicer leather, etc.

Well, yes, I should've said LC 300. In my mind, the Prado doesn't exist, since its a 4 runner.

What we will see bearing LC badge? IDK. Cant be a Lexus, but it seems like it will be. LOL

The sequoia is the US LC 250, not the LX 600. The LX 600 I have no idea what its ultimate story will be.
But those who wanted the LC, will settle for an LX, im not sure if theylle settle for a GX... unless it grows a bit.

This has been the last 3 pages conundrum. And the insiders entertainment...

Yall wanna start a pool?

I say 4 runner and GX are getting bigger. And will have interchangeable TRD stuff.

Basically what the LC LX relationship was. But with enough differences in price and positioning, AND VOLUME TO SHARE, than ever before.

But then again, wheres the sequoia and grand highlander hanging out in the mix? Anyone have a base price sheet for Toyota?

And guaranteed that every single one of those one million 4-Runner owners wished they had a Landcruiser instead— but they settled for a 4-Runner because why?
It costs less.

LC was never popular because it was too expensive.

And guaranteed that every single one of those one million 4-Runner owners wished they had a Landcruiser instead— but they settled for a 4-Runner because why?

It costs less

IDK, perhaps, but i disagree.

From what ive seen 4 runner crowd is definitely into the 4 runner. Just like the Tacoma crowd.
Its "just right". "Tundra is too big" etc

But your point stands, could be a giant bag of cognitive "i cant afford the other" dissonance.

IDK, perhaps, but i disagree.

From what ive seen 4 runner crowd is definitely into the 4 runner. Just like the Tacoma crowd.
Its "just right". "Tundra is too big" etc

But your point stands, could be a giant bag of cognitive "i cant afford the other" dissonance.

But then again the 4 Runner is grossly overpriced LOL.
Its not a cheap vehicle.

I’ve read through some of this thread and agree with others why Toyota didn’t compete with Jeep when there is about 2 or 3 at about every corner with a true fj40 I’ll never understand. Now there is the bronco too. I just don’t get it but it’s probably why Mr. T makes all the big bucks. I’m also probably not ever going to buy a new vehicle again because of the prices. Maybe only maybe would I buy new if Toyota really did come out with a true fj40. Otherwise I can keep my current Cruiser fleet going along time before I shell out current prices they are asking.

I’ve read through some of this thread and agree with others why Toyota didn’t compete with Jeep when there is about 2 or 3 at about every corner with a true fj40 I’ll never understand. Now there is the bronco too. I just don’t get it but it’s probably why Mr. T makes all the big bucks. I’m also probably not ever going to buy a new vehicle again because of the prices. Maybe only maybe would I buy new if Toyota really did come out with a true fj40. Otherwise I can keep my current Cruiser fleet going along time before I shell out current prices they are asking.

I think "buying american" has a lot to do with this reality.
Theres never more BS political stuff on anything I see other than Heeps.
And im sure the market research has been done.
4 Runner is no slouch either.

Was it sales numbers that killed the FJ cruiser? I dont remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom