2024 GX hybrid questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was curious if there’s any info yet about the future hybrid version.

drivetrain? timing of its release? additional cost?

The rumor is that it’s supposed to be the I4 hybrid from the Tacoma… that makes no sense. So far the hybrid options give you a power boost over the base engine… in this case it would be a decrease.

I'd think it would be the same hybrid version of the TTV6 as in the Tundra/Sequoia

New article, I'll believe it when I see it of course, just posting updates:

The non-US release mentioned the I4 combined w the hybrid motor. Bit disappointing as the TRD PRO has a potent hybrid setup.
Maybe it’s positioning at this time. Ie, you can’t have the new GX hybrid with the TTv6 hybrid until the new LX700h comes out….otherwise, an unreleased model would outshine the current highest priced model in the Lexus lineup.

Found the press release:

Renewal of the fundamental characteristics (chassis) to achieve refined performance on any road​

• Introduction of the new GA-F platform contributes to superior durability and reliability as a genuine off-roader
  • A potent 3.5L V6 twin-turbocharged engine delivers impressive output and torque, along with class-leading towing capabilities. A 2.4L turbo-hybrid variant, a Lexus first for a body-on-frame vehicle, provides exceptional fuel efficiency without compromising on power output
  • Optimization of the suspension geometry provides outstanding vehicle stability
  • Enhanced body rigidity contributes to the Lexus Driving Signature

I don't think the new GX platform would be able to support the current V6 TT hybrid that is used in the new Sequoia and Tundra w/out seriously sacrificing reliability, and I'm okay with that.

The one thing that I really want to know is if the hybrid setup will be able to produce enough watts to power a small campsite...would be cool to be able to set it up as an Overland rig that runs the fridge (I have a daughter who is a T1 Diabetic and having to deal with ice all the time is a total PITA), small ac unit, and whatever is needed.

Found the press release:

Renewal of the fundamental characteristics (chassis) to achieve refined performance on any road​

• Introduction of the new GA-F platform contributes to superior durability and reliability as a genuine off-roader
  • A potent 3.5L V6 twin-turbocharged engine delivers impressive output and torque, along with class-leading towing capabilities. A 2.4L turbo-hybrid variant, a Lexus first for a body-on-frame vehicle, provides exceptional fuel efficiency without compromising on power output
  • Optimization of the suspension geometry provides outstanding vehicle stability
  • Enhanced body rigidity contributes to the Lexus Driving Signature
I'm not reading too much into that for the US market - the prado and hilux have long had different (and much less powerful) powertrains in the rest of the world than the US markets.

Doesn’t the sequoia and the hybrid tundra have a larger rear diff? I would think the GX would have to get it too if they gave it the 3.4 hybrid.

Doesn’t the sequoia and the hybrid tundra have a larger rear diff? I would think the GX would have to get it too if they gave it the 3.4 hybrid.
I believe you are correct...I'm sure the smaller hybrid setup will be more than capable. I'm also sure someone will bitch about it for no other reason than because they can?

I think, and this is just speculation, that there's not going to be a ttv6 hybrid outside of the Sequoia and Tundra. The reason I think this is the case is that there's not a transfer case that I know of that's rated for 600 ft lbs and has both a 1.75" chain or bigger and also has a center differential.

Could be torque limited to save the transfer case, but then why do it?

Last edited:
Sooo…

A TT4H would be a pretty decent engine it seems for the LC, but doesn’t over shine the GX TTV6. I’ve swooned a bit over the crown setup and think that would be a cool setup with plenty of pep, especially in 4Lo like the wrangle 4xe you really feel the electric.

Vantage’s comment above that a V6TTH doesn’t come out til an LX700h seems spot on to me.

I like the bulletproof reliability of a hybrid Toyota when it has a naturally aspirated engine (our N/A 2.5 Atkinson cycle hybrid Highlander is awesome). It will be interesting to see what the long-term reliability of a TT I-4/TTV6 is when coupled with a hybrid. My "gut" feel is that it's a pretty darn complicated setup, but we'll just have to see how they work. It's too bad they never really tried to figure out a hybrid N/A V6 or V8 (outside of the last Highlander where it didn't add much MPG), for their trucks/SUVs, which presumably would have been bulletproof as well.

Sooo…

A TT4H would be a pretty decent engine it seems for the LC, but doesn’t over shine the GX TTV6. I’ve swooned a bit over the crown setup and think that would be a cool setup with plenty of pep, especially in 4Lo like the wrangle 4xe you really feel the electric.

Vantage’s comment above that a V6TTH doesn’t come out til an LX700h seems spot on to me.
I believe that the 4cylinder engine has a single turbocharger, not twin turbocharged.

It is pretty much confirmed that the GX will have the 2.4L turbo hybrid. I wonder which powertrain will be the premium priced one. Most Toyota/Lexus products have the hybrids priced higher, but they also produce more power/torque.

It is pretty much confirmed that the GX will have the 2.4L turbo hybrid. I wonder which powertrain will be the premium priced one. Most Toyota/Lexus products have the hybrids priced higher, but they also produce more power/torque.

Corporate cleared this up a bit ago. GX gets the TTV6. Lexus.com | newGX - https://www.lexus.com/newGX

Toyota version is knocked down a peg and gets the i4 hybrid.

Both have a pretty good punch for their mass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom