2024 GX hybrid questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Corporate cleared this up a bit ago. GX gets the TTV6. Lexus.com | newGX - https://www.lexus.com/newGX

Toyota version is knocked down a peg and gets the i4 hybrid.

Both have a pretty good punch for their mass.
I think he was talking about the hybrid the GX will get later. A lot of people think it will be the 4 cyl but I hope it will be the 6 cylinder. I have no idea what the right answer is. It will either be a hybrid for better gas mileage or one for better power.

Not understanding the 3rd row tensions...most every 80 and 100 owner has ditched them and can't even give them away...me included.

Not understanding the 3rd row tensions...most every 80 and 100 owner has ditched them and can't even give them away...me included.
Agreed.

That being said there is a Sequoia or a LX600 for those that want a third row. Cool thing about this platform (IMO) is that all these vehicles are more similar than different.

For a vehicle of this size, 3rd row seats make sense for families with either young kids or really short ppl. We bought an Expedition to comfortably accommodate ppl in the 3rd row and have any sense of storage behind it.

We really wanted the Sequoia but the way they laid out the back killed any useful room behind the 3rd row. Btw I really am surprised (very pleasantly surprised) on how well the Expedition moves. The 10 speed with V6TT really gets the SUV up to speed and has almost no turbo lag with minimal NVH. I took it to Santa Fe/Taos over the summer and the thing was flawless...it was enjoyable to drive the 10+ hours from Austin. Very unlike any of the other cars I've owned (the electronic enhancements really helped like lane assist; hands assisted driving; etc.).

I'm stoked for the 550!! Planning more places to take the family in that thing that doesn't require the Expedition.

Btw I really am surprised (very pleasantly surprised) on how well the Expedition moves. The 10 speed with V6TT really gets the SUV up to speed and has almost no turbo lag with minimal NVH. I took it to Santa Fe/Taos over the summer and the thing was flawless...it was enjoyable to drive the 10+ hours from Austin. Very unlike any of the other cars I've owned (the electronic enhancements really helped like lane assist; hands assisted driving; etc.).
I’ve taken my 200 on a couple road trips out west. The first was 6,500 miles. The second was 5,000 miles. 4 days straight on the interstate for 8-10 hours per day sure gets tiring in the 200 because it doesn’t track all that well. Constant small corrections to keep it in the lane. I would appreciate a vehicle with good lane assist (as long as I can also turn it off).

Funny - the 3rd row is why I bought my GX460. I came from a Tundra and was tired of driving something that big around town for 90% of its miles. The GX/4Runner is a good size and the 3rd row gets used more often than I’d anticipated. We throw luggage in a roof top cargo box for trips even when the 3rd row is in use. I’m a bit bummed the new prado isn’t getting one but there’s always the next 4Runner or GX

For a vehicle of this size, 3rd row seats make sense for families with either young kids or really short ppl. We bought an Expedition to comfortably accommodate ppl in the 3rd row and have any sense of storage behind it.

We really wanted the Sequoia but the way they laid out the back killed any useful room behind the 3rd row. Btw I really am surprised (very pleasantly surprised) on how well the Expedition moves. The 10 speed with V6TT really gets the SUV up to speed and has almost no turbo lag with minimal NVH. I took it to Santa Fe/Taos over the summer and the thing was flawless...it was enjoyable to drive the 10+ hours from Austin. Very unlike any of the other cars I've owned (the electronic enhancements really helped like lane assist; hands assisted driving; etc.).

I'm stoked for the 550!! Planning more places to take the family in that thing that doesn't require the Expedition.
I agree with you on the Sequoia 3rd row. What a miss. There would have been one in our garage if they'd nailed it. Instead my wife got a VW Atlas.

1691159572369.png

I wonder if they thought to make the seats fall back into the far rear part of the trunk so they'd be flat with the batteries instead of on top of the batteries - the same way the Sienna seats disappear into the floor. It would have been better than the shelf.
1691159628032.png

1691159604137.png

1691159640649.png

1691159642957.png

I am making an educated guess, but the new TNGFA forced the Sequia into a solid rear axle, which killed the entire space. This is counter to what the Expedition and Tahoes did. By going to the rear independent, they really opened up the cargo area...trade-offs.

Now adding the new hybrid, it destroyed all remaining usable space. The battery in the tundra killed the under-seat bench storage...huge miss IMO. I can understand why they placed the battery inside the car and placed it central so as to not disturb the weight distribution too much. However, DAMN...one compromise too far IMO.

I am making an educated guess, but the new TNGFA forced the Sequia into a solid rear axle, which killed the entire space. This is counter to what the Expedition and Tahoes did. By going to the rear independent, they really opened up the cargo area...trade-offs.
The problem wasn’t TNGA-F itself. The problem was that Toyota Japan wasn’t originally going to do a new Sequoia. Toyota USA convinced Japan to allow them to do it, but they didn’t have the budget to do an IRS. An IRS would have allowed for a lower floor in the back and a better third row. Instead, the new Sequoia has a third row that isn’t competitive with Expedition or Tahoekonbanalislade.

It’s all about the Benjamins. The development budget simply wasn’t enough.

I could care less about a third row (no kids) but the killer is the lack of a flat floor in the hybrid layouts. it's a non-starter, otherwise I'd probably have pulled the trigger on a sequoia. I need a flat floor and towing at 7K or higher. I can't believe they couldn't beak the battery apart and stash it elsewhere.

I'm waiting on the GX and would like to see some towing results before pulling the trigger

That's weird bc Lexus is releasing a new 3rd row SUV...guess they are basing that off the Grand Highlander then?

Guess it's true..large corporations fail to understand what the left hand is doing from the right.

That's weird bc Lexus is releasing a new 3rd row SUV...guess they are basing that off the Grand Highlander then?

Guess it's true..large corporations fail to understand what the left hand is doing from the right.

Body lines make it pretty clear that the Lexus TX will be a tuxedo-wearing Sequoia.

I am pretty sure the TX will be a unibody Grand Highlander....

Yes, it is going to be a unibody crossover. Like the Grand Highlander, it won’t be designed to be off-road capable. It won’t have a two speed transfer case, etc.

It does make sense. It will be focused on competing against the Mercedes GLE and GLS, the BMW X5 and X7, etc. It will be designed to have better road manners than the LX600 and a more usable 3rd row. For folks who don’t want or need the off-road capability of an LX or GX, the upcoming Lexus crossover might be the better choice.

Body lines make it pretty clear that the Lexus TX will be a tuxedo-wearing Sequoia.
No. It is not going to be a body-on-frame SUV. It will be a unibody built on the same platform as the Grand Highlander.

Now adding the new hybrid, it destroyed all remaining usable space. The battery in the tundra killed the under-seat bench storage...huge miss IMO. I can understand why they placed the battery inside the car and placed it central so as to not disturb the weight distribution too much. However, DAMN...one compromise too far IMO.
Here is my previous post about the Sequoia. It is a very compromised vehicle. Unsure about the latest sales numbers, but wouldn’t be surprised if it got the axe if it didn’t meet quota

2024 GX/Prado Speculation - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2024-gx-prado-speculation.1295803/post-15041320

Here is my previous post about the Sequoia. It is a very compromised vehicle. Unsure about the latest sales numbers, but wouldn’t be surprised if it got the axe if it didn’t meet quota

2024 GX/Prado Speculation - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2024-gx-prado-speculation.1295803/post-15041320
Yes, that Motoman interview is worth watching. The Sequoia development team was working with a limited budget, which is why it doesn’t have an IRS. The lack of an IRS cripples the third row and, in my opinion, makes the Sequoia uncompetitive compared to its competition from Ford and GM. I, too, would not be surprised to see the Sequoia dropped. I think they missed the market.

No. It is not going to be a body-on-frame SUV. It will be a unibody built on the same platform as the Grand Highlander.

Found the article, and agreed - its on TNGA-K from GH. the lines between Seq/GH/TX are way too similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom