Sequoia vs LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MCtree

GOLD Star
Threads
There is a new report out that shows how long lasting our LC’s are.

But I was surprised to see that the Toyota Sequoia was number one while our beloved LC was only number 2.

So…. Did we make an error when we purchased our $30k more expensive rigs?

(Full disclosure: I have never been in a Sequoia. So maybe there is an obvious flaw/difference that clearly shows how we didn’t buy the wrong vehicle.)

So…. Did we make an error when we purchased our $30k more expensive rigs?
I drove several similar-year Sequoias before buying my LX. Vastly different vehicles, and no comparison on the fit, finish, and other details. For my needs/wants, the LX/200 is absolutely the right choice, but for others the Sequoia can make more sense.

Here is one list from iSeeCars:
These are the cars and trucks that are most likely to make it past 300,000 based on statistics.
  1. Toyota Tundra – .2%​

2. Toyota 4Runner – .2%​

3. GMC Yukon XL – .2%​

4. Chevy Suburban – .2%​

5. Ford Expedition – .2%​

6. Toyota Sequoia – .4%​

7. Toyota Land Cruiser – 1.5%​

Another from Forbes:
The Sequoia is Toyota’s full-size truck-based SUV, with 9.2 percent of those changing hands last year beating the 200,000-mile mark. As if that’s not enough, 0.4 percent of them reached 300,000 or more miles.

The full-size Land Cruiser SUV has been a fixture in Toyota’s U.S. showrooms for the last 60 years. It’s a durable luxury off-roader, with an unbeatable 15.7 percent of used versions on the market in 2019 having exceeded 200,000 miles on the odometer. It also tops the list of vehicles able to last for 300,000 miles or more at 1.5 percent.

I wouldn't worry about having bought a Land Cruiser.

I personally think that the PREVIOUS gen Sequoia was great. Probably the most flexible 4wd system ever. More roomy than a hotel in all the rows. Very good audio system…same as LC. Rear diff is from tundra!

The negatives: cheap interior, bulbous styling, no CRAWL, minimal articulation, no gas tank skid plate.

The new Sequoia is no good for me.

I know it’s a Tundra SUV, but I like to think of the Sequoia as a budget or even SR5 Cruiser. They’re real sleepers. Biggest issue is the almost always harmless cam tower leak. Yes, they are IRS, and that’s probably why it’s so rare to see one built out, but Tandem Offroad has a pretty solid Sequoia build. They’re doing a rear tire carrier bumper with aux fuel tank where the spare used to go. Pretty cool. I would absolutely love that transfer case in my Tundra. I know the earlier 2nd gen Tundras can accept it. There are a few who have made the conversion on the Tundra forum.

NOTE: All of the above praise is reserved for the 2nd gen. The new 3rd gen is a huge letdown IMO.

Here’s the Tandem truck:

Thanks, all!
My insecurity is allayed and self worth restored!

Kidding. But it is all nice to know.
And awfully cool that all Toyotas do so well. It’s why we bought these behemoths.

But of course, the REAL reason Sequoia is far superior to LC is that it has Apple CarPlay. :mad:

But of course, the REAL reason Sequoia is far superior to LC is that it has Apple CarPlay. :mad:
Ha! There probably is a little truth to the idea that the reason they last so long is that they don’t have any complicated tech, like at all. Up through 2021, it was huge tactile knobs for climate control, ancient 5.7/6speed, overbuilt CV axles, etc.

Also, no radiator stress cracks to worry about, and it seems we also hear less about coolant valley leaks far less on the Tundra/Sequoia. I would avoid the Platinum due to the air suspension, but other than that, it’s a very basic and stout package. Limited seems like the most bang for your buck. I saw a family of 7 empty out of a new Army Green one the other day. Pretty slick for an old dinosaur.

Ha! There probably is a little truth to the idea that the reason they last so long is that they don’t have any complicated tech, like at all. Up through 2021, it was huge tactile knobs for climate control, ancient 5.7/6speed, overbuilt CV axles, etc.

Also, no radiator stress cracks to worry about, and it seems we also hear less about coolant valley leaks far less on the Tundra/Sequoia. I would avoid the Platinum due to the air suspension, but other than that, it’s a very basic and stout package. Limited seems like the most bang for your buck. I saw a family of 7 empty out of a new Army Green one the other day. Pretty slick for an old dinosaur.
Yeah for me, Limited is best because of the 2nd row bench…allowing for 3 across. Platy and TRD Pro have captain chairs which is a deal killer for me and family.

Yeah for me, Limited is best because of the 2nd row bench…allowing for 3 across. Platy and TRD Pro have captain chairs which is a deal killer for me and family.
I believe that middle seat in the second row is removable as well, in case you wanted to leave it out until needed. The rubber floormat from a model with captain’s chairs will cover the mounting holes on the floor. The only downside is no armrests.

Anecdotally, the Sequoia's are highly afflicted by rust issues, supposedly due to the quality or chemistry of the steel used at the Texas manufacturing facility.

Last edited:
IMO the LC 5.7 and various critical components are way overrated. Coolant valley leaks, timing chain tensioners, radiator failures, etc. LC’s have a kind of mythology around them and we’re all a bunch of fanboys here who like to ignore obvious problems. Now fit and finish, chassis components etc are amazing.

IMO the LC 5.7 and various critical components are way overrated. Coolant valley leaks, timing chain tensioners, radiator failures, etc. LC’s have a kind of mythology around them and we’re all a bunch of fanboys here who like to ignore obvious problems. Now fit and finish, chassis components etc are amazing.

It's all relative and nothing in this world is without its issues. They're certainly on the opposite end of the scale to main competition/class such as Range Rovers and G-Wagons, especially past the 100k and 200k mile marks.

Ehh. Post #3 in this thread seems more like just a simple fact than a fanboy statement. While nothing is perfect, the 5.7 (and the 4.7 before it) is dang close when it comes to longevity. There are lots of notable high mileage examples and plenty of supercharged examples with lots of miles on them, too. The radiator failure has nothing to do with the engine itself…arguably, neither does the coolant valley leak.

Strangely enough, you don’t hear about those issues nearly as often with Tundras and Sequoias. It’s almost always the cam tower leak, (or diff needle bearing, or ticking lifters due to particular oils, or frame rust for mostly 1st Gen models) which is more of a seep than a leak and requires no oil to be added between changes. Still annoying. The biggest drawback to the 5.7 is its thirst for fuel.

It's all relative and nothing in this world is without its issues. They're certainly on the opposite end of the scale to main competition/class such as Range Rovers and G-Wagons, especially past the 100k and 200k mile marks.

Oh for sure - I won’t argue with that. Just saying that LC’s are great but they have their issues too. But in all honesty, there’s nothing I’d rather be driving.

For me, i see the Sequoia as either a SUV version of Tundra OR a ballooned up 4runner. The Sequoia underbody design is more like those vehicles. The LC underbody is much cleaner from an off-road perspective.

Although i appreciate Sequoia (see above), the LC is far better vehicle for me. Yes more expensive, but far less compromises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom