Sequoia vs LC (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking forward to getting a Sequoia for my wife when her Expedition gives up the ghost, but that thing won't die despite my best efforts.
What gen Expedition?

We’ll be looking at Sequoia as well as the LX600 when our Navigator (4th gen) extended warranty is up. It’s been a roller coaster relationship with that thing and we would be fools to keep it past warranty.

What gen Expedition?

We’ll be looking at Sequoia as well as the LX600 when our Navigator (4th gen) extended warranty is up. It’s been a roller coaster relationship with that thing and we would be fools to keep it past warranty.
Third gen, 2012.

It’s been frustratingly reliable.

Interestingly, the Woman saw the new Sequoia and said we have to get one of those. The person who has zero interest in any car. Who annoyingly compares every car to the worst car in history(i.e. "babe look at that audi" : " huh, the taillights look like a dodge avenger" : "well...Yes, but the car is still sweet. Good grief" 😄)

So we will eventually be adding a Sequoia to the mix. If I'm completely honest, with my size, I am constantly trying to put the drivers seat back further in the 200

Remember how we used to brag about the 22re longevity, yet I probably swapped 3 or 4 engines into my first gen over its lifespan. I will always sing the praises of the 22re, 5.7, the 2rz, 3.4, the 1uz(which i think undoubtedly deserves the most praise). But everything is still man-made.

Wish we had gotten the diesels though.

Third gen, 2012.

It’s been frustratingly reliable.
If it is reliable, then isn’t the Expedition superior to Sequoia in pretty much every which way? To be honest, the only reason i like Sequoia over Expy or Tahoe is the durability and reliability of Toyota. If you are lucky to get a reliably Ford, then more power to you. You should play the lotto!

My wife saw the new Sequoia and instantly fell in love as well. We still need to test drive one and poke around with the cargo area and rear seat to see if it will truly work for our needs but if it does then I see the misses trading in the GX for one. I am not entirely sold on it yet, the cargo shelf and lack of a fold flat rear seat give me pause.

My wife saw the new Sequoia and instantly fell in love as well. We still need to test drive one and poke around with the cargo area and rear seat to see if it will truly work for our needs but if it does then I see the misses trading in the GX for one. I am not entirely sold on it yet, the cargo shelf and lack of a fold flat rear seat give me pause.
Don’t forget the nearly useless part-time 4wd system on the new Sequoia.

Don’t forget the nearly useless part-time 4wd system on the new Sequoia.

I haven't even investigated this far, what makes it useless?

I haven't even investigated this far, what makes it useless?
Part-time is useless for such a big vehicle. Sure, PT4wd is great for off-roading, but how many people will off-road such a big vehicle like Sequoia with piss-poor clearances? And likely those rare folks won’t do much rock crawling to really benefit from PT4wd.

For 99.9% of Sequoia customers, an AWD or full-time or “multi-mode” 4wd system from prior generation would have been much more useful. Why? Because these customers will use Sequoia for mall crawling or long distance trips in bad weather or go to their favorite ski resort. PT4wd is too labor intensive to perform these duties safely IMO.

Part-time is useless for such a big vehicle. Sure, PT4wd is great for off-roading, but how many people will off-road such a big vehicle like Sequoia with piss-poor clearances? And likely those rare folks won’t do much rock crawling to really benefit from PT4wd.

For 99.9% of Sequoia customers, an AWD or full-time or “multi-mode” 4wd system from prior generation would have been much more useful. Why? Because these customers will use Sequoia for mall crawling or long distance trips in bad weather or go to their favorite ski resort. PT4wd is too labor intensive to perform these duties safely IMO.

Oh I agree in that regard. It'll be the misses ride with some AT's so it isn't a deal breaker in that regard but I do appreciate the full-time 4WD system because it takes the human error out of the equation for her because she doesn't have to think about engaging 4WD.

Oh I agree in that regard. It'll be the misses ride with some AT's so it isn't a deal breaker in that regard but I do appreciate the full-time 4WD system because it takes the human error out of the equation for her because she doesn't have to think about engaging 4WD.
Because we commute b/w TX and CO often due to job……AWD/FT4wd is a must. All our vehicles now are like that. No more 2wd anything.

It's all relative and nothing in this world is without its issues. They're certainly on the opposite end of the scale to main competition/class such as Range Rovers and G-Wagons, especially past the 100k and 200k mile marks.
g wagons (and e classes) with the NA 5L run forever. I had one for 10 years, know a bunch of people with them, really no issues. Now the AMGs (which most of them are) have issues but not the non-turbo version.

Because we commute b/w TX and CO often due to job……AWD/FT4wd is a must. All our vehicles now are like that. No more 2wd anything.

We never buy 2WD either.

g wagons (and e classes) with the NA 5L run forever. I had one for 10 years, know a bunch of people with them, really no issues. Now the AMGs (which most of them are) have issues but not the non-turbo version.
For me, G-wagen powertrain and major hardware (frame, axles, lockers) were good & reliable…but it is the other stuff that can go wrong.

But then again, my LC’s infotainment center went bonkers under 30k miles and needed replacement…so, i don’t have great luck with cars apparently.

My 2 cents on this. LC buyers buy an LC because its an LC. They want an LC and then they just keep it and drive it and drive it and drive it. The Sequoia buyer is probably a previous Toyota owner needed the full size SUV due to family. They stayed with Toyota took out 5 to 7 year loan to buy it and then drive it and drive it and drive it. The ability of Sequoia and LC under standard maintenance to last to 250K plus miles is win win but for Sequoia buyer its a bonus in at some point no more car payments just maintenance and Toyota quality. # 3 on that list was Suburban I betting it follows the Sequoia rule big family take out long term loan then keep the vehicle on road via maintenance. To costly to buy a new one ever 5 to 8 years so keep the one you have on the road as long as you can.

For me, G-wagen powertrain and major hardware (frame, axles, lockers) were good & reliable…but it is the other stuff that can go wrong.

But then again, my LC’s infotainment center went bonkers under 30k miles and needed replacement…so, i don’t have great luck with cars apparently.
The only thing that bugged me about my g500 is why MB put the cheapest seats they could find in it. The fronts were worse than the cheapest C class (the 2 door kompressor) that I could have bought 4 of for the price of the g. The rear was like the jump seats in an old j40.

The only thing that bugged me about my g500 is why MB put the cheapest seats they could find in it. The fronts were worse than the cheapest C class (the 2 door kompressor) that I could have bought 4 of for the price of the g. The rear was like the jump seats in an old j40.
I think that it was narrow that way because G500 was a very very narrow SUV. So that was probably the only seat that would fit in it. For me, i had no issue. In fact, i thought that the leather was top notch! Soft yet looked like new after 65k miles. I like the G500’s leather better than LC’s terra semi-aniline leather.

My first thought is ice. We get lots of ice up here and 4WD/RWD is nowhere near as good as AWD.
* Full-time 4wd.

That the Prado and Land Cruiser have a true (and robust) center differential is what separates their capability from the crowd. Well, that and ATRAC. I'd love to get a new Sequoia for my wife. Bigger, better fuel eco, better tech, captains chairs in center row, etc. But with as much snow as we have, the security of full-time 4wd isn't something I'm willing to compromise on. Expecting my wife to put it into and out of 4wd in changing conditions isn't reasonable, especially with managing 3 kiddos. Not to mention the increased turning circle when in parking lots in 4wd.

The TRD edition Sequoia should take the center diff from the 300. That would be a game changer.

Last edited:
* Full-time 4wd.

That the Prado and Land Cruiser have a true (and robust) center differential is what separates their capability from the crowd. Well, that and ATRAC. I'd love to get a new Sequoia for my wife. Bigger, better fuel eco, better tech, captains chairs in center row, etc. But with as much snow as we have, the security of full-time 4wd isn't something I'm willing to compromise on. Expecting my wife to put it into and out of 4wd in changing conditions isn't reasonable, especially with managing 3 kiddos. Not to mention the increased turning circle when in parking lots in 4wd.

The TRD edition Sequoia should take the center diff from the 300. That would be a game changer.
1000% Agreed. I can't expect my wife to handle the 4 kids while making sure the 4WD is engaged. For that reason, I can't see a path from her current Sienna AWD to a Sequoia, not that I'm in a big hurry to spend ~$70K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom