What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (92 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you notice a change in exhaust note? What is the part number?
Exhaust note is unchanged, well, except for not hearing the rattling and whistles, so I guess technically quieter. This is totally opposite from what I was going for with my Audi RS6 that I sold to buy the cruiser....that was open pipes from the turbos back with custom resonator setup to hear the turbos sing and V8 roar. In the end, I'm much happier now going slow and quiet, but the Audi was a rush!

PN from Magnaflow is 24455 and comes with new gaskets. I'm looking into recycling my old cats, and expect to get a pretty good $ for them, but still working on some quotes (I body slammed my phone yesterday slipping on the steps and killed it, so not texts/camera for a couple of days). I got $600 for the 4 cats off of my Audi...I'll follow up when I get a quote for the cruiser cats.

My AC belt started slipping, so I reluctantly turned off AC

Good looking rig.

I wouldn't worry to much about your temps, those seem about right for driving up a mtn in 110F.

Tighten your belts, if you can roll the belt with your fingers so the bottom is facing directly up than they are too loose.

Got it dirty for the first time since purchasing it. Just a quick run up the fire road to the top of Rowher Flats with my buddy in his JK on 40's. It was probably not the brightest idea to go wheeling in the 110 degree heat, but all seemed to go well, and we had a great time. I did see coolant temps of 195 just idling, and 212 on the climbs. (as reported via OBD-II reader to Torque app). My AC belt started slipping, so I reluctantly turned off AC. But it didn't really reduce ECT's that much. Some dark clouds moved in while we were stopped at the peak of the mountain, and this strange liquid fell from the sky. It was the most bizarre thing...

You were a solid 40* under boiling there.

A lot of German rigs run 208* all the time.

Sure is! My approach has always been to max out what I have in order to figure out what I need before getting what I think I might need. It works for my use… and as much as I want to rip off those running boards, they do help with setting up & packing up the roof top tent.

Something else to blow your mind and keep this bro-mance going @DirtyPepper , I got my 80 from the original owner in Portland, OR… while living in Vancouver, WA. Small world.
That's all awesome!

Got it dirty for the first time since purchasing it. Just a quick run up the fire road to the top of Rowher Flats with my buddy in his JK on 40's. It was probably not the brightest idea to go wheeling in the 110 degree heat, but all seemed to go well, and we had a great time. I did see coolant temps of 195 just idling, and 212 on the climbs. (as reported via OBD-II reader to Torque app). My AC belt started slipping, so I reluctantly turned off AC. But it didn't really reduce ECT's that much. Some dark clouds moved in while we were stopped at the peak of the mountain, and this strange liquid fell from the sky. It was the most bizarre thing...

I dig your tire swing out...where di you get it?

212 is not bad....I was hitting 210F in 118F heat climbing 7k up Inyo on Eastern Sierra Side.

Started soaking the nut and bolt on this loose bracket between the frame and the exhaust manifold with penetrant..

I was getting a metallic rattling under the passenger floorboard and thought that it was a heat shield but they were all tight. I tried tightening it but it’s pretty rusted so I didn’t wanna give it more than one ugga ugga. I’ll soak it with PB Blaster for a few days to see if it will free up.

99F43A47-8D38-447F-A750-00D330BE369C.jpeg

1E874281-5B50-4949-AC7B-FEDA874C3E4D.jpeg

F52EDE9B-5F31-4651-9BD1-FA4B67F993FF.jpeg

PO had it custom made by an off-road shop down in Orange County. I may add accessory mounts, and possibly plate-in the bottom and sides to provide additional protection. But I kinda like the simplicity and light weight design it has now. We'll see.

Good to know my concern about ECT's was pretty much unwarranted. Still new to these rigs, but I figured I was going to be OK because my cooling system has been refurbished not that long ago. One thing I would like to add is an auxiliary fan that allows the AC to cool better at low speeds. It would be nice for the trail, but is pretty much a necessity for LA stop and go traffic. I need AC to work. I have vinyl seats... (Corbeau Moab).

Made a video on a cool 80 build the shop just finished.

LT 6.2L V8 and 10 speed automatic is a winning combination. Listen to @torfab explain why this is the perfect match for an 80 series.

Chevy power is the best power.

Me too!! Im a sucker for a homebrew.

LT 6.2L V8 and 10 speed automatic is a winning combination. Listen to @torfab explain why this is the perfect match for an 80 series.

I drive a GM panel van with the 6.0L in it and have a 5.3L Silverado I use at work as well. The 5.3L revs out a lot faster and gets great MPG 17.5 on average and the 6.0L can get 15 MPG if driven like grandpa.

Having experience with both the 6.0 and 5.3 I would go with the 6.0 with the torque that it has. The Land Cruiser to me is a cruiser (no pun) not a speed demon and the lower torque power band is suitable wheeling and crawling in my opinion.

I drive a GM panel van with the 6.0L in it and have a 5.3L Silverado I use at work as well. The 5.3L revs out a lot faster and gets great MPG 17.5 on average and the 6.0L can get 15 MPG if driven like grandpa.

Having experience with both the 6.0 and 5.3 I would go with the 6.0 with the torque that it has. The Land Cruiser to me is a cruiser (no pun) not a speed demon and the lower torque power band is suitable wheeling and crawling in my opinion.

Neither of those have a 10 speed which makes up for a lack of whatever.

Example, look how much faster a stock 5.0 mustang is with the a10 vs the a6.

I need to sell a kidney. :hmm:

Love it, especially the move to pair with the 10 speed. there was talk at one time to offer a kit. Is this still being considered?
Man, this is a great reminder I need to stop spending $$ on silly crap and get saving for this..... Especially getting caught on I-70 @ Eisenhower a few weeks back maxing at 35MPH up the hill to the tunnel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom