anyone know anyone in TN on I40??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pig sty. Garage clean up day and drive the new and improved pig.

Since last update, I got waist deep in fuel injection and decided that was far enough. I needed to either install a new tank or have some small secondary tank and wasn’t willing to do either. Really want this thing drivable to work out bugs before the PP. And the need to spend even more money and time for an unproven FI system was too much. Plan to come back around sometime after PP. Anyhow, after that misadventure, installed gauges, replaced seal in tcase and got it running. Plan to drive around yard after cleaning garage.

Quick question for someone: I still have hesitation in reving engine. I noticed when I had the O2 sensor that I installed in exhaust out since not going with FI, the hesitation went away. It revved great. Was loud bc of hole in exhaust but revved nice. Putting in bolt for O2 sensor brought back hesitation. So, maybe, muffler causing hesitation???

View attachment 2995835

View attachment 2995836

View attachment 2995837
That makes for a great tool shelf when the fenders are off!
So you are going back to carb?
Is that the exhaust that came with that Pig? Simple question, but have you inspected the exhaust? Did it get crushed anywhere?
A lot of times it boils down to something simple. Or a series of simple issues all in play at once...

Banana in the tailpipe?

wink-eddie-murphy.gif

Got a couple questions.

How did you determine distance for rear springs I see what paper says -5”, but trying to make sure I don’t jack this up. Also what was ride difference? I am hoping to be amazed. I have original springs with a 3” shackles. It rides/sways and has a ton of body roll action now. Lol

Sorry for all the overload in questions.

Thanks
Chuck

So you are going back to carb?
Is that the exhaust that came with that Pig? Simple question, but have you inspected the exhaust? Did it get crushed anywhere?
Yes, back to a carb. I believe the exhaust is original. Maybe a new muffler somewhere along the line. The exhaust doesn't looked crushed, so, maybe, it's the muffler I guess.

Got a couple questions.

How did you determine distance for rear springs I see what paper says -5”, but trying to make sure I don’t jack this up. Also what was ride difference? I am hoping to be amazed. I have original springs with a 3” shackles. It rides/sways and has a ton of body roll action now. Lol
The center-to-center distance between the hanger is about 50.5", which moves the back hanger back about 5". I really can't comment on the ride difference bc it's been so long since I drove the 55 before starting all this work. Driving around yesterday was great though.

Roof rack on. Drove the 55 about 30 miles yesterday. She did great! Filled it up with gas before the 30 mile trip and had a gas leak out of line that goes to charcoal canister this morning at the tank. Also, lots of pressure in the tank when I took gas cap off. Need to figure out what that’s all about now.

5A78EC66-4580-43F1-B3CB-D6FEEAE97822.png

D9385E23-6E9B-4B4B-B32F-C9152921373C.png

17809F76-59B8-4BB9-9CAE-B96F41704D1D.png

I’ve been busy with the last week of the semester, so Nate took matters into his own hands and finished installing the front grille assembly, fenders and hood. Getting close to the finish line. Found some nice Toyo 33x10.50s. They look nice!

View attachment 3006550

View attachment 3006551

View attachment 3006552

View attachment 3006553

View attachment 3006554
Looking good!
Those Toyos look like a strong choice. I will be curious to hear how you like them.

In. Just a few last minute mods and it’s a great fit. Now no worry of hood flying off driving down the road. This pig is almost completely roadworthy. Waiting for intake/exhaust gasket to fix vacuum leak, rear driveshaft was cut too short and getting fixed, new water pump, hoses and alternator are all I lack.

B48CC7EF-0F38-45FF-990D-5F00AC668611.jpeg

377F11D1-649E-4065-93EE-0CEDC80FD31D.jpeg

C9DD435E-3E13-4127-AC65-11668E026E8F.jpeg

1110BA9D-685D-451D-9A9F-E0DF696906C5.jpeg

CF9CFE27-1D42-4234-A70A-3299169A7323.jpeg

Update time. Finally got her all sorted out. The little hesitation that I had when accelerating grew into running absolutely terrible. Gave her a tune up with new hei dizzy when I first got it, so ruled out ignition. New carb, no dice. Maybe vacuum leak. Replaced intake/exhaust gasket and cleaned intake and exhaust real well. Installed, and still hesitation. Vacuum reading below my f from my 45, so maybe intake crack??? Replaced intake with 2F intake and had to make plate to cover exhaust hole below intake and got rid of exhaust butterfly. No dice. I noticed when timing occasionally my light wouldn’t fire and tach would reset. Weird. Pulled dizzy to find oil in dizzy. Pulled apart to find vacuum advance plate stuck. Replaced ignition piece connected to vacuum advance with GM piece and had to modify to fit. Vacuum advance plate moves freely now. Drilled a few holes at bottom of dizzy for oil to exit and installed. My oil pressure has always been high and thought maybe too high and forcing oil up distributor. When I changed oil after first getting her, I filled to top mark on dipstick. Changed oil again and filled to middle of dipstick. Now she runs great and oil pressure is lower. Didn’t take too many pics bc I was too busy being confused. Sounds fairly simple now but in the midst of it I had interfering problems that were hard to sort out - intake leak and ignition problem. Oh, and driveshaft back on. I think this pig might be ready for an adventure. Hopefully no oil in dizzy after driving her a while! 🤞🤞🤞

51993C99-FA44-4FC5-9DD6-C0AAFB4C0CB8.jpeg

39D34D75-E598-4240-A9BD-ABBDB58FD24F.jpeg

0D7EE90B-F626-41FA-810E-5211967F62DB.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom